Skriven 2013-07-01 08:47:00 av Dave Drum (68098.cooking)
   Kommentar till text 2014 av JIM WELLER (1:123/140)
Ärende: various things
======================
-=> JIM WELLER wrote to DAVE DRUM <=-

 JW>   Subj: true costs

 DD> Many people forget to factor the cost of fuel

 JW> And time ... another important factor.

 DD> most who shop at China-Mart have very low self-worth
 DD> estimations.

 JW> Many who shop at China-Mart just aren't very bright.

Q.E.D. and verbum sap

 JW>   Subj: sola tubes

 JW> are very cool.

 DD> I've only ever seen them in conjunction with "cave" homes.

 JW> I have seen them in large homes that have windowless interior rooms
 JW> and in highly energy efficient homes that have very small windows on
 JW> their north side.

I can imagine many effective uses besides those I have seen in person.

 JW>   Subj: the real stuff

 DD> I know the stuff in YK is premium priced because of the
 DD> transport.

 JW> That's actually a very small factor. Canadian cheese everywhere is
 JW> more expensive than American as our dairy farmers have a very strong
 JW> union and have set stringent dairy quotas and our government has
 JW> strict import quotas and high duties while yours actually subsidizes
 JW> production. I have mixed feelings about this.

 JW> http://tinyurl.com/cheese-prices

Actually US dairy subsidies have little to do with imported cheese. Domestic,
yeah. But, if it's domestic it cannot legally be Parmigiano-Reggiano or even
Parmigiano. Of course those who produce sparkling wine will insist of calling
it "champagne" even if it has been no closer to the Champagne region of France
than  French Gulch, California (pop 346).

 JW>   Subj: stormy weather

 JW> Is the use of tie-downs common?

 DD> They're required in Illinois. But people who move/set-up their
 DD> own homes often ignore the law on that. It's up to the parks to
 DD> police such. Another thing that seldom happens as long as the
 DD> rent is paid on time. On a private lot - quien sabe?

 JW> Here, tiedowns are part of the National Building Code. Canada
 JW> Housing and Mortgage Corp in conjunction with Environment Canada
 JW> determined where they were required and for what size (weight) of
 JW> home. So they will be used in every municipality and county that has
 JW> building permits and inspectors which is just about everywhere these
 JW> days. As well every bank that wants CMHC mortgage insurance will have
 JW> tie-down documentation as part of every loan application. I suppose
 JW> in theory there are a few units somewhere in the backwoods bought
 JW> on an all cash basis that don't have building permits or tiedowns.

We don't have a national law/building code on this - the individual states are
very jealous of their diverse and disparate "rights". Even the national laws
are beginning to be abridged by the states - like Washington and Colorado
legalising pot for recreational use. I thought that all got settled back in the
19th century (Grant v Lee, 09 April 1865, Appomattox Court House, Virginia).

 JW> MMMMM-----Meal-Master - formatted by MMCONV  2.10

 JW>      Title: Sweet And Spicy Chili Sauce For Korean Fried Chicken
 JW> Categories: Korean, chicken, sauces, condiments
 JW>   Servings: 4

 JW>     1/4 c  gochujang

OK, smarty pants. I had to go look that one up. Pppppbbbbtbptbptpb!!!

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

      Title: Homemade Gochujang
 Categories: Condiments, Rice, Beans, Chilies
      Yield: 5 1/2 kilograms

      6 l  Water
    450 g  Malt Powder
    450 g  Glutinous rice powder
    450 g  Soybean powder
      1 kg Fine ground red chile
    350 g  Salt
    600 g  Honey

  Start by filling a large saucepan with 6 litres of boiling
  water. Let the water cool a bit so it doesn’t burn but you
  want it to be hot, place 450g of malt powder in to a tea
  towel or muslin cloth and make this in to a ball. You will
  need to put this ball in to the water and start swirling
  it around, every 30 seconds or so you will need to squeeze
  the tea towel ball hard. Continue doing this until the
  water is light brown in colour about 10 to 15 squeezes.

  Once complete the malt powder ball can be binned, add the
  glutinous rice powder to the water and bring to boil
  whilst stirring, keep on boil for a couple of minutes then
  turn off the heat and leave to stand for 30 minutes
  stirring occasionally.

  After about 30 minutes come back to the mixture and bring
  to boil, you need to reduce it by about half to 3 litres.
  Keep the heat as high as you can, if it bubbles up remove
  from heat for a couple of seconds and then put back on
  again, Keep stirring occasionally so the mixture doesn’t
  settle and it should reduce is about 45 minutes, don’t
  worry if it takes longer.

  Turn off the heat and leave to cool down for a couple of
  hours or overnight, once cooled it is time to add the soy
  bean powder and red pepper powder, mix this well. The
  mixture will go quite thick and stiff like glue, keep
  stirring and it should start to resemble a red pepper
  paste. Leave again for about 30 minutes.

  Add soybean powder and ground red chile powder.

  Finish the sauce of by adding the salt and the honey, the
  salt helps with preservation and the honey gives it its
  unique sweetness. Mix this all together well and your home
  made gochujang is complete, you can use it straight away
  and I would leave it to stand in your saucepan for another
  24 hours before bottling it up.

  In South Korea gochujang is stored in our famous pots
  which help it to breath and age, but you can keep it in
  whatever you have spare I have used old jars and sauce
  pots that I have left over. The sauce should keep for well
  over a year and the taste will improve in time as well,
  Keep in a cool dark place and have an open jar in the
  fridge when in use.

  Recipe by Luna

  From: http://www.easykoreanfood.com

  Uncle Dirty Dave's Archives

MMMMM

... Cooking tip: Wrap turkey leftovers in foil and throw them out-N. Hollander
--- MultiMail/Win32 v0.49
--- SBBSecho 2.12-Win32
 * Origin: The Holodeck  telnet://holo.homeip.net (1:261/1381)