Skriven 2013-06-11 14:34:02 av Janis Kracht (1:261/38)
    Kommentar till text 156 av NANCY BACKUS (1:261/1381)
Ärende: Re: Hard Boiled Eggs
============================
Hi Nancy,

>> Very true :)  The convenience of living in a city also comes with
>> its drawbacks.  When I was younger, my dream was to live in Manhatten
>> around Greenwich Village ... back then, that's where all the "good
>> stuff" was going on (smile).

> True... but I never quite wanted to go that far... to visit maybe, but
> not to live...

Heh, know what you mean.  Family always lived far from there so in the end I
was like you in that respect.  I guess it was more of a "someday I'd like to"
kind of thing.. you know, everything with quick access :)

>> I think the only time I've been to Rochester was for a computer
>> conference that Ron and I attended many years ago.. work related,
>> so we weren't quite free to ramble much.. I think we got out for
>> a pizza though Lol.. that was good :)

> Natives here badmouth it, but it's really a pretty decent place...
> Maybe not my first choice of anywhere in the world to live, but I don't
> mind living here.  :)  We bought into a pretty nice part of this
> neighborhood...

That's great.

>> Where is your "pond" in relation to Rochester?  It sounds like a
>> great place as well :)

> Oh, it's a wonderful place... too bad you weren't able to come to the
> Pond Picnic... ;)

I know - wish things could have worked out.  Maybe next time :)

>It's about 4 hours or so northeast of Rochester...
> above Watertown and Fort Drum, not too far from Canton and Potsdam...
> St Lawrence County...

Potsdam.. neat.  I almost went to college there to study under Mike Nichols.
Then I met Ron and well, you know (g).

>> We're looking forward to the farmer's markets starting up in the area
>> shortly. If I'm not mistaken, this coming weekend will be the first of

> I've gotten out of the habit of going to the ones around here... the
> Public Market actually goes year-round, just indoors during the winter
> months... the outside stalls are probably back in use now, though...

Sure, makes sense.  We went this weekend and I stocked up on a number of great
meats from local farmers .. and chickens.. and duck eggs.  Darn they make great
egg salad :)

>> them.  We're hoping the fellow who previously sold duck eggs will bring
>> a bunch of those :) I know the cholesterol count on those guys is
>> pretty high, but they're so huge and SO good :)  Nice for a once in a
>> while treat :)

> The egg white contains the nutrients to balance out the cholesterol in
> the yolks... you probably don't have to worry all that much about
> them...  :)

It's funny because most things you read these days discount the trouble that
any kind of egg yolks might give one with cholesterol.  That's something :) It
kind of reminds me of the bad press coffee got for a while.  Now some say it's
good for (some) people (I know you can't tolerate it (g)).

>> the other day.. he was over here helping Ron with some things and he
>> said, "I keep telling my friends 'really I'm a Kentuckian, not a NYer'"
>> hahaha.. well he was born there and lived there for about 7 years :)
>> It just sounded so funny to me... but he's right :)

> After a manner of speaking...  :)

Yeah :) :)  My daughter sent us pictures of he and his girlfriend at their
Senior Prom.. what a beautiful picture it is.. he's such a handsome kid.  Now
THAT pic is really an indication of kids 'growing up'! :)

>>> and #2 looks like he's 13, but he's only just 10 (height)...and well,
>>> then there's the baby.. he's just little guy just 7. I think I was
>>> right in giving up on the idea :)
>> Oh, probably...  :)  But those two are about the right age to think it a
>> fun thing to learn... ;)

>> eek :)  Can only imagine what it would be like if they decided to
>> demonstrate the technique at a school 'show and tell' hehehe  :)

> Now that could be a sight to see... (G)

hahahaha I somehow doubt the teacher would enjoy that one :)

>> You'd think that Weggies might
>> at least have some non-gluten non-corn stuff... but I guess that could

>> They do.. One of the other options for pasta (there are a few options
>> for non-gluten ronies) is to get macaroni made with all brown rice.  My

> Oh, ok... Not that I'm paying all that much attention in that
> department...  :)

Understand :)

>> thought they were horrid.  Well, they are if they're not prepared
>> correctly.. or if you let them sit even for a while hehe.. I use them
>> here when I know my daughter is coming for a macaroni or spaghetti
>> dinner.  The sauce you use with them can be as important as the
>> preparation sometimes :)

> Just a bit more fussy than your "normal" fare...  and benefitting from
> some cooking knowledge, besides, I'd guess...

Yep :)  They're really not so bad if you take into consideration that they are
going to make more 'starch' in the water when you boil them.  They have to be
rinsed, not just drained.  If I'm making something like pasta e fagioli for my
daughter, I'll cook the beans and water with just a touch of tomato paste, then
cook the pasta separately.  I add the rinsed rice pasta when the beans are
almost done to meld the flavors.

>> For Ron and I, I use Bionaturae's gluten-free pasta and always have a
>> ton of it on hand here.  It's made with potato starch, tapioca starch
>> and rice flour. The potato starch they use in that is a no-no for my
>> daughter, but at least I can use it when just her boys eat over.  It's
>> the closest thing to gluten macaroni that I've tried (and I've tried a
>> LOT of them (G)).

> I'm sure you have... :)   Trial and error to find the best stuff...  ;)

Yes indeed.  I was talking to my cousin over the weekend since my aunt died and
we'd all spent a lot of time together this past week.. She's had Rhematoid
Arthritis for a long time now.. and her doctor told her she's got to give up
gluten way back.  She hasn't because she doesn't have time to search out the
options.. so I filled her in on my 'discoveries' (g).  She may not do so, but
at least she now knows what to look for.

>> We've been given feedback from our friends
>> at church that Glutino is a good company, good products...  :)  But of
>> course, one still has to pay attention to the ingredients, especially
>> when there are multiple allergies, like she has...  :)

>> Yep, and constantly as well.. I've seen ingredients change in all of
>> them from time to time.. :)

> That's pretty common with just about everything... gotta keep at least
> spot-checking... at least when the packaging changes ever so slightly or
> more...  ;)

I know what you mean.. I wish they'd do that kind of thing with a change of
packaging when ingredients change, but it's not something that happens often
enough IMO.

==Roast Stuffed Leg of Lamb==
preheat the oven to 450F
about 4 servings

4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 parsely, chopped
1/4 cup Italian cheese, grated
2 1/2 - 3 lbs leg of lamb
olive oil
garlic salt
black pepper

Place the lamb in a slightly greased baking dish.  Using a small sharp steak
knife, cut into the leg all over. Combine the garlic, parsley and cheese and
stuff the openings in the meat with the mixture.  Brush just a touch of olive
oil on the surface of the lamb.  Season generously with garlic salt and freshly
grated black pepper all over.  Roast about 25 minutes per pound, then remove
from the oven and let stand for about 20 minutes before slicing.
==

Take care,
Janis

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1