Skriven 2015-06-19 04:31:00 av MICHAEL LOO (1:123/140)
     Kommentar till en text av RUTH HAFFLY
Ärende: various 856
===================
 ML> The Joy of Lex?
 RH> I think he's the one that also wrote a book about nutrition, tipping
 RH> Steve off to the fact that B vitamins can prevent migraine headaches.

Wouldn't be too surprised, because the guy who wrote that
book (name forgotten long since) had a long and checkered
literary and illiterary career, including, as I recall,
being a Tory MP for a while.

 ML> Carrots are so high in fiber that a certain amount of
 ML> wiggle room is allowed.
 RH> Yes, you are allowed a bit more "wiggle room" with carbs if you go
 RH> high fiber. I don't track my fiber intake like I do carbs since we tend
 RH> to heat higher fiber than the average American diet.

I'm figuring that eating a Kleenex with my candy bar
would cancel all the bad effects!

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

      Title: The Kalduni Story (Russian Dumplings)
 Categories: Dumplings, Russian, Tatar, Sf chronicl, Tips
      Yield: 1 servings

           Text and serving tips

  On a Roll With Meaty Dumplings by Maria Cianci

  Hanife ``Eni'' Sezgen, her grown daughter Saadet, our friend Dorothy,
  and I are making kalduni. We've rolled the dough, cut the circles and
  mixed the beef and onion filling. Now, three sets of eyes are fixed
  on Eni's fingers as she turns the dough up and over the little mound
  of meat and pinches the edges together in a plump half-moon, a fold
  that is second nature to those 82-year- old hands.

  The Sezgens are Tatar Russians, and kalduni are one of their
  traditional dumplings.

  ``Don't pull the ears,'' Eni tells me good-naturedly, as I stretch the
  edges of the dough away from the filling before pinching them shut.

  Eni's kalduni are plump, bulbous, and the filling hugs the edges. Mine
  display a novice's flat edge, so I concentrate on pressing the next
  dumpling correctly. Suddenly, I feel entrusted with a culinary
  tradition, and there is something very gratifying in wanting to
  preserve it carefully.

  The Sezgens, including teenage grandson Devin and granddaughter
  Aliye, eat kalduni dipped in soy sauce, sesame oil, hot mustard,
  ketchup or sour cream. I'm fascinated by the East-West combinations,
  especially since the cooked kalduni -- with a dough that has the
  translucent shine of a pearl -- resemble pot stickers.

  ~snip-

  In Penza, a town near Moscow where Eni was born, they ate kalduni
  with salt and pepper and pickled cabbage. A smaller version of the
  dumplings, called pelmeni and resembling tortellini, was served in
  chicken soup.

  But the adaptation of various dips evolved as the Sezgens moved:
  first to China, then to Japan, then Turkey and finally to the Bay
  Area in 1961.

  ``The ketchup is American,'' says Eni, and the rest of us roll our
  eyes and groan. Still, the kalduni are yummy with the sweet-tartness
  of the tomato condiment, and once again we see how an ethnic dish can
  cross national borders, adapt to local ways, but retain its character.

  The following sauces and suggestions for serving kalduni are further
  adaptations. But they are earthy and comforting, in keeping with the
  rustic nature of the dumplings.

  As an entree, the kalduni in any of the following recipes or with any
  of the additional suggestions are good with a crisp, green salad. For
  dessert, take advantage of the Russians' love of sour cherries, and
  serve sour cherry pie, pastries or cheesecake. Follow dinner with
  another Russian favorite, tea.

  Kalduni are a perfect weekend project, since they can be frozen and
  used throughout the week and beyond. The dough is easy to work with
  and contains no fat.

  Any remnants of dough (after rolling out the scraps) are traditionally
  pinched off in bits and boiled in chicken soup. These cooked bits of
  dough are called chumara.

  MORE IDEAS FOR LEFTOVERS

  Kalduni will keep in the freezer for up to a month. Here are some
  additional easy ways to serve the dumplings:

  --Kalduni a la Sezgen. Boil kalduni and serve them with soy sauce,
  sesame oil, hot mustard, ketchup and sour cream for dipping.

  --Kalduni Soups. Serve kalduni in chicken broth with sliced carrots
  and scallions, or in a clear mushroom soup with sliced mushrooms,
  carrots and scallions.

  --Kalduni Primavera. Cut a few asparagus spears, scallions and a
  handful of string beans into  1/4-inch-thick rounds. Combine with
  finely diced carrots, and saute briefly in a little butter until the
  vegetables are wilted. Add some frozen defrosted baby peas and a
  little chicken broth. Reduce the broth to about 1/4 cup. Add cooked
  kalduni. Toss until the mixture is well combined. Serve sprinkled
  with chopped chives.

  --Pot Sticker-Style Kalduni. Fry one side of boiled kalduni in oil
  until crisp and golden. Drain and serve with a dipping sauce of soy
  sauce that has been simmered briefly with fresh ginger and garlic,
  then strained, cooled, and sweetened with a little sugar and studded
  with minced scallions.

  Source: The San Francisco Chronicle

  MM format by Manny Rothstein 5/98

MMMMM

___ Blue Wave/386 v2.30
 * Origin: Check Out Doc's QWK Mail  Via Web BBS > DocsPlace.org  (1:123/140)