Skriven 2015-09-27 09:34:22 av Dave Drum (1:261/38.0)
  Kommentar till text 31302 av Ruth Haffly (1:396/45.28)
Ärende: bread
=============
-=> Ruth Haffly wrote to Dave Drum <=-

 DD> My main objection, also. Which is why I grind the seeds if I am baking
 DD> the bread. I also don't care for the "taste bombs" when I bite on one
 DD> of the seeds. Spread evenly through the loaf - not bad. Concentrated -
 DD> not so good.   Bv)=

 RH> But, the seeds are needed to give the bread its unique taste. guess we
 RH> will just have to put up with them. At least with dentures, you can
 RH> take them out to take the seeds out of them. (G)

If you grind the seeds and put the powder into the dough you *should* get the
flavour of the caraway spread throughout the loaf.

My "George Washingtons" are made with no gaps between the teeth - so, getting a
blackberry seed, or caraway seed stuck between isn't a problem. Getting
something under the plate - between the plate and the gum - seems like there is
a boulder in your mouth. If it's not too bad I will leave the table to deal
with it (if not dining alone). Otherwise, some may get "grossed out" as I go
mining in the bridgework to remove the offending bit.

 DD> tool circus deals. And jumped right into sausage making on my own.

 RH> We have a grinder attachment for the KA mixer.

 DD> I have had mixed reports on the efficacy of that attachment. I have
 DD> been told (by several - no direct experience of my own) that the
 DD> newer/non-Hobart machines will not stand up to the grinder or the
 DD> pasta extruder. I might use a KA for a sausage stuffer in a pinch.
 DD> But, I have the stuffer for my little stand-alone grinder.

 RH> We've not had problems with the grinder or pasta maker attachments for
 RH> the KA. They haven't been used too much, probably should get them out
 RH> and use them more but we aren't eating as much pasta as we used to. I
 RH> could freeze some, probably, but have to defrost/inventory the freezer
 RH> and see how much room is available for stocking. As for the grinder,
 RH> we've just not had projects where it has been needed that often but
 RH> it's good to have for times when we do need it. (G)

 DD> I have made pasta just a couple times ..... just to see what it was
 DD> "all about". Truthfully, and for me, store bought dried pasta is
 DD> perfectly fine. Unless I am making gnocci (a rare occurrence) ....
 DD> hmmmmmm.

 RH> I've not made gnocci but have done other pastas. Used to be, it was
 RH> hard to find whole wheat pastas so I made more of it (with an Oster
 RH> Kitchen Center machine). Now that whole wheat pasta is easier to find
 RH> (and easier on our budget), I don't make it--and we don't eat as much
 RH> of it as we did in our younger days. I did impress my MIL once when I
 RH> made lasagne, making the noodles from scratch.

Gnocci are very easy to make. Basically dumplings made with semolina flour,
egg, salt and sometimes potatoes, ricotta or spinach. You don't have to roll
them out to a flat sheet or strip-cut them into linguine or spaghetti. I got on
to doing them when I was running the satellite shop and the early version of
TVFN was one of the usual channels on the demonstrator TV. Molto Mario (Mario
Batalli) did a *lot* of shows in which he made his own pasta --- and made it
look easy.

 DD> After I get closed on the new house (Oct. 2) I will be shopping for a
 DD> stand mixer. Probably a Cuisinart unless I can find a Hobart made KA.

 RH> Won't be long now--are you boxing things up in anticipation of moving
 RH> in the day you sign the paperwork? We made the actual move over 2 weeks
 RH> after signing so Steve could get some work done on the house while it
 RH> was empty. His latest project--replacing the sinks in the master
 RH> bathroom as one was cracked. Got a matched set from ReStore for $5.
 RH> each.

ReStore is going to be one of my main suppliers for the new house. I learned,
though, it's like the Odd Lots store -- if you see something you like, buy it
right then. When you go back there's a good chance it will be living with
someone else.

 DD> I generally put my meatballs in red gravy and serve with pasta. I have
 DD> made "Swedish" (style) meatballs to go in a creamy sauce with egg
 DD> noodles ..... but, it's not a favourite and I only have done upon
 DD> request from a guest.

 RH> I've only done the Italian style meat balls, but have tried them with
 RH> different combinations of meat. Some work better than others.

 DD> I once made some cocktail/appetiser meatballs for a meeting that used
 DD> grape jelly in the sauce/glaze. They were well accepted but since I
 DD> was in early days with my diabetes and hadn't yet learned about
 DD> balancing my "sins" I left them alone.

 RH> I would have left them alone as well; I don't like grape jelly,
 RH> especially the super sweet kind on most store shelves. I made a few
 RH> mistakes early on, and the readings the next morning showed them, but
 RH> overall got things under control fast. I still try to watch what I eat
 RH> and balance the carbs & proteins, tho some days it's easier said than
 RH> done.

Jelly is basically sugar, fruit (which has sugar of its own), pectin and a
little water. IIRC I used Schmucker's because that's what was at hand. If I am
going to put sweetness on my toast, panquakes, or waffles I favour preserves,
jams or marmalade.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

      Title: Gnocchi all'Amatriciana
 Categories: Pasta, Pork, Sauces, Potatoes, Chilies
      Yield: 6 servings

MMMMM--------------------------GNOCCHI------------------------------
      2 lb Russet potatoes
      1 c  All-Purpose flour
      2    Extra large eggs
        pn Kosher Salt

MMMMM-----------------------AMATRICIANA-----------------------------
    1/4 c  Extra virgin olive oil
      4 oz Sliced Guanciale or Pancetta
           - (or good american bacon;
           - in 1/2" strips)
      1 md Red onion; halved longway;
           - ends trimmed, cut longway
           - in 1/4" slices
    1/4 c  Tomato paste
      2 ts Hot, red pepper flakes
      3    Jalapenos; sliced
    1/2 c  Grated Pecorino Romano; plus
           - more for garnish
    1/3 c  Coarse chopped fresh Italian
           - parsley

  Recipe courtesy Mario Batali

  FOR THE GNOCCHI: Place the potatoes in a large pot and
  just cover with cold water. Boil the whole potatoes until
  they are soft, about 45 minutes. While still warm, peel
  the potatoes and pass them through a food mill into a
  bowl.

  Make a well in the center of the potatoes and sprinkle
  with flour. Place the eggs and salt in the center of the
  well and, using a fork, stir the egg into the flour and
  potatoes. Bring the dough together, kneading gently until
  a ball is formed, and continue to knead for another 4
  minutes, until the dough is dry to the touch. Cut a tennis
  ball sized hunk of dough off the main ball and roll it
  into a dowel about 3/4" thick. Cut across the dowel to
  form pellets about 1" long. Flick each pellet down the
  tines of a fork to form the traditional gnocchi shape.
  Repeat with the remaining dough.

  FOR THE AMATRICIANA: Meanwhile, combine the oil,
  guanciale, and onion in another large pot and cook over
  medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until the guanciale
  is lightly browned and the onion is softened, about 7
  minutes. Stir in the tomato paste, jalapeno and red pepper
  flakes and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
  Remove from the heat.

  Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil and add 2 tablespoons
  salt. Drop the gnocchi into the boiling water and cook
  until floating aggressively, 4 to 5 minutes.

  Stir the cheese into the sauce, then add a ladelful of the
  pasta cooking water to loosen the sauce a bit. Add the
  gnocchi and parsley and serve immediately, with additional
  grated Pecorino on the side.

  MAKES: 6 servings

  Recipe from: http://abc.go.com

  Uncle Dirty Dave's Archives

MMMMM

... "The world is my lobster" -- Henry J. Tillman

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-2
 * Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)