Skriven 2015-09-29 15:57:00 av NANCY BACKUS (1:123/140)
     Kommentar till en text av RUTH HAFFLY
Ärende: Burger Bar was: sticky si
=================================
-=> Quoting Ruth Haffly to Nancy Backus on 09-27-15  21:11 <=-

 NB>>>  So, Burger Bar it is, this Thursday...  ;)
 RH>> OK, so we'll see a report later this week.
 NB>> Yup...  ;)   Here 'tis...  We did go... It's an interesting place...
 NB>> you place your orders at the register, pay for them, find a place to

 RH> A no frills place or does it have any sort of "ambiance" other than
 RH> maybe big screen tvs tuned to sports channels. (G)

It has somewhat of an upscale feel to the place... a mix of nice booths,
tables and tall tables, windows with blinds on them... the flat screen
tvs are up high, and mostly tuned to Food Network (and mostly
ignorable)...  We could probably pull tables together for our larger 4th
Sunday crowd (we had 8 this month, it could have been another one or two
besides)...  Not terribly noisy... and outside there are nice tables
with shade umbrellas...  :)

 NB>> One was allowed to make substitutions...

 RH> Nice that substitiutions are allowed, making for a custom creation of
 RH> one's chosing. The one size fits all, like in every thing else, fits
 RH> only a small percentage of people.

Quite true... and there are enough allergies and intolerances that it's
nice to have the chance to try something close to the offer instead of
just totally having to count it out...  :)

 NB>> either Tuscan fries (french fries with herb seasoning), salad or soup,
 NB>> or for an extra dollar zucchini fries, sweet potato fries or onion

 RH> Could you get the zuchinni fries with the Tuscan seasoning?

That I don't know...  Probably depends on how much of the prep for them
is done ahead... one could always ask...  :)  But I'd suspect not...

 NB>> rings.  Also available were a number of interesting sandwiches, also
 NB>> on the same rolls and buns, or on a toasted Italian roll or ciabatta
 NB>> bread, and coming with the same sides...  Or you could have one of the
 NB>> salads, entree size, instead of burgers or sandwiches...  Baby kale
 NB>> and Arugula salad, Grilled Cobb salad, Caesar salad or Mediterranean
 NB>> salad... to which one could add chicken, salmon, or scallops, for a
 NB>> sum... ;) Soups are also available in an entree size, but it's "Chef's
 NB>> Selection, Inspired by the season", so I don't have any details on
 NB>> them.. ;)

 RH> To be discovered on the next trip, I presume?

Possibly... especially if I think to ask... or someone else actually
gets that...  ;)  There's a lot of things that I might want to try out
for a next time...  ;)

 RH> IOW, if you go thirsty, it's your own fault.

Absolutely....   :)

 NB>> I ordered the Maple Onion Bacon Burger, 1/2 pound beef burger, aged
 NB>> (white) cheddar, smoked bacon, maple onion jam, chipotle aioli on a
 NB>> toasted sesame brioche roll... [snip]   didn't taste much
 NB>> maple, but the jam, actually more like a relish, was nice enough...

 RH> Maple syrup? Maybe they should have used a different grade--a darker
 RH> variety with more taste.

Not sure what they used for the maple...  the Maple Onion jam, as I
said, was more of a relish... chopped onions in a sauce... and since
part of a sandwich, a little hard to be sure of the taste, even when
carefully deconstructed...  :)

 NB>> had it with the onion rings, and they were nicely done, thick-cut
 NB>> natural slices in a nice batter... probably done from scratch there.
 NB>> And, in the interests of proper tastings, I got the chocolate shake,
 NB>> too, which also was nicely done.  :)

 RH> Quality control--got to make sure it's there for all products. (G)

Something like that, anyway... ;)

 NB>> Linda had a special-of-the-day sandwich, a crab cake on the sesame
 NB>> brioche roll, with some sort of aioli and fixings...  I had a bit of
 NB>> the crab cake, which had fallen from her roll, and it was quite tasty,
 NB>> and a good sized piece of real crab with not a lot of filler to hold

 RH> If it's that good, I think I'd want it on a plate, with a fork. Don't
 RH> want the taste to be muted by bread.

I'd certainly consider having that one bun-less, or with the bun on the
side... it was a good-sized crab cake, too...

 NB>> together.  She had it with the Tuscan fries, which I also had a taste
 NB>> of... also nicely done..  :)  She started out by asking for a box to
 NB>> take home part, before even embarking on the eating... she put half of

 RH> As a general rule, I split my entree before starting to eat it, and
 RH> sometimes even add to the take home part (from what I thought I'd eat
 RH> all of).

I don't usually, but I try to not order something too big... :)

 NB>> the sandwich away at that point, but ended up talking herself into
 NB>> eating the whole thing after all (she wasn't going to be going right
 NB>> home and decided to worry about whether it would be safe to try to
 NB>> keep the crab unrefrigerated that long)...  She instead packed away
 NB>> most of the fries, and eventually (as we did sit there and talk for
 NB>> a while), went and got the ice cream that she'd been going to save
 NB>> the room for by only having half the sandwich... :)  A small bowl of
 NB>> Chocolate soft-serve custard with crushed almonds on it... decent
 NB>> size for just a small, I had to ask her which size that was...  ;)

 RH> I'd have made sure I didn't eat the second half of the sandwich,
 RH> tempting as it might be, save the calories and carbs for the ice
 RH> cream. It's one of the "tricks" for keeping the diabetes in line but
 RH> still enjoying some of life's goodies.

She ended up hardly eating any of the fries, so she saved the calories
and carbs there...  :)

 NB>> Looks like it should work out pretty well for a 4th Sunday group
 NB>> choice, some month...  :)

 RH> Sounds like a winner.

Should be enough choices to accommodate just about anyone... and since
it's more "American"ish food, should make most people happy... ;)  A
little pricey for burgers, but you do get a lot of food for the money...
so it could go for another meal, or be split between diners easily
enough...  :)

ttyl          neb

... Look wise, say nothing, and grunt. Speech was given to conceal thought
 * Origin: Check Out Doc's QWK Mail  Via Web BBS > DocsPlace.org  (1:123/140)