Skriven 2013-08-07 07:35:00 av Dave Drum (69118.cooking)
   Kommentar till text 3217 av Ruth Haffly (1:396/45.28)
Ärende: Mayo & Spices
=====================
-=> Ruth Haffly wrote to Dave Drum <=-

 DD> As I noted in other posts - I don't have a Fresh Market or Whole
 DD> Foods. And the local Farmer's Market seems to concentrate on non-herb
 DD> produce. Although Parson's Produce is talking about adding an herb
 DD> garden to their other offerings. We'll see how that works out.

 RH> Maybe this Hy-Vee will have fresh herbs. It's a possibility; let us
 RH> know if it becomes a reality.

Thinking back - Schnuk's and County Market offer some fresh herbs. I have
bought flat-leaf and English parsley, cilantro, and basil from them. Also baby
spinach and that line of thing. I dunno about rosemary, sage, thyme, etc. as I
have never shopped for fresh on those. Sage isn't hard to grow at all.

 DD> The only herb I am growing here in the trailer park is the mint I
 DD> started three years ago. It is spreading nicely to crowd out the
 DD> dandelions and crabgrass. And, unlike zoysia grass - which will do the
 DD> same thing - it smells very nice when you mow it. My gardening efforts
 DD> are limited to three 30 litre soy sauce buckets from the Tai Pan
 DD> restaurant's dumpster with a bunch of heirloom Hontaka chilies that my
 DD> friend Les donated the seed for. He got the seed as part of his
 DD> subscription to The Chile Pepper Institute.

 RH> What about window sill pots? We did that with herbs in Savannah. We've
 RH> got a bit more "garden space" where we live now so put the herbs
 RH> outside. The oregano has gone thru 2 winters; the sage went thru one
 RH> winter but didn't survive the 2nd one. The rosemary & thyme (which was
 RH> planted before we moved in) are going great guns all over the beds.

My only window that gets enough direct sunlight to do a lot of good is an east
facing window over the kitchen sink. Everything else faces north or south as
well as being well shaded by trees.

 DD> Japones Chilies, pronounced ja-pon-aaas, are also known as Hontaka,
 DD> Santaka, Oriental chile peppers or Chinese Chilies. While very popular
 DD> in Chinese and Japanese recipes these chilies are native to Mexico and
 DD> are widely used in Caribbean and Latin American cuisine. Some believe
 DD> that Japones get their name from the Spanish word for Japanese. --
 DD> http://www.spicesinc.com

 RH> And how hot are they?

These are somewhat hotter than the usual run of the same chile I get at
oriental restaurants. And those are usually plenty spicy for me. They are an
heirloom cultivar from Dr. Bosland at the Chile Pepper Institute at the
University of New Mexico. Like the Heritage Big Jim and NuMex chilies are
*much* zippier than the stuff you find in an Ortega can or the stupormarkup
produce bin - these chilies will light up your life. I'll dry some later this
season and grind them for use where I can get along with ground chile in place
of minced fresh chile. I also have my little Tupperware picnic S&P shaker to
fill so I can pack it along in my pocket. Nearly anything can be improved using
ground chile in place of ground black pepper.   Bv)=

 DD> http://www.hy-vee.com/company/about-hy-vee/default.aspx

 RH> If we ever move to an area that has a Hy-Vee, we will check them out.

 DD> That would be the Midwest area. I thought you guys were aiming for the
 DD> Southwest or Northeast. Whatever, c'mon down, the water's fine and
 DD> we're pretty friendly.

 RH> We'll get a position wherever one is offered. Wherever it is, we'll
 RH> have fun getting to know the local foods and grocery stores &
 RH> introducing folks to our ecclectic food choices. (G)

BTW - please thank Steve for telling me about the steam method for doing hard
cooked eggs in the shell. I have found that 12 to 14 minutes in the steamer
using room temperature eggs gives me a result that is perfectly cooked, slices
well, dices nearly as well and is easy to peel straight from the ice box. A
definite winner. I tried the other methods I was told of and none work so well
as the steamer. Gail Shipp's method using baking soda is a close second - but,
not nearly so convenient for me.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

      Title: Black Hole Chilli
 Categories: Stews, Beef, Herbs, Chilies, Beer
      Yield: 50 Servings

  7 1/2 lb Meat; in 1cm dice (see note)
      9 cl Garlic; chopped fine, more
           - to taste
           Mixture of olive and sesame
           - oil @ 5:1
     25    Japones, large, red, dried
     14    Chilies pequin
  2 1/2 c  Beer
           +=PLUS=+
  1 1/2 c  The water you used to boil
           - the chilies
      8 tb Ground cumin
      6 tb Ground oregano
      4 tb Ground coriander
  1 1/2 ts Cayenne pepper
      1 tb Salt
      1 tb Tabasco
      8 tb Paprika
      4 oz Tomato paste
      1 ts (ea) mint, epazote
    1/2 tb Masa harina

  NOTE: TOUGH MEAT such as chuck, defatted and deboned. This
  seems like a lot, but can feed 50-75 people if a properly
  hot chilli is prepared.

  THE STRUCTURE OF BLACK HOLE CHILI BY ALWYN WOOTTEN * **

  Combine the oil, garlic and meat and cook till brown.

  Prepare the japones, large red and dried. Start de-seeding
  (the seeds are too hot) and boil in a few quarts of water
  until they are soft, then scrape the inside pulp out.

  Add to meat mixture when the meat begins to brown,
  reserving the chilli water.

  Squash the pequins with a hammer and add to the chilli.

  Now add 2 1/2 cups water or beer, plus 1 1/2 cups of the
  water you boiled the peppers in, and simmer slowly in the
  pot for 80 minutes while you win moseyin' and egg toss
  contests, and just generally fall down a lot. Now let your
  chilli settle and the grease rise so that you can skim
  discard it (the grease, not the meat). Dispense with all
  remaining sobriety.

  ADDITION OF SPICES CEREMONY

  Gather the team and groupies together for this ceremony.
  This is the point to go all out for showmanship, so ham it
  up. Hopefully you have ground the following spices
  freshly, so that laborious grinding processes do not sap
  the climax of its power.

  THE SPICES

  8 tb ground cumin; group chants praises of cumin.

  6 tb ground oregano; praise the oregano somewhat more
  loudly.

  4 tb ground coriander; some of the women may swoon.

  1 1/2 ts cayenne pepper from a flask labelled 'paprika'.

  1 tb salt (add half this at first, increment as
  necessary).

  1 tb Tabasco; accompanied by loud chants and holy rollin'.

  8 tb or more paprika, from a container prominently
  labelled 'cayenne pepper'; accompanied by a crescendo of
  frenzied shouting and counting of tablespoons. If your
  team can still count high enough, add 24 ts instead.

  4 oz tomato paste after the hubbub has died down and no
  judges are looking. Remember, real men do not put
  vegetables in their chilli. 1 tsp exotic spice could be
  added here, too.

  At Luckenbach, the Brides of Black Hole added mint and
  epazote. No one knew, or knows yet, what epazote is. The
  more obscure the spice, the better.

  1/2 tb masa harina; or less, to thicken the chilli if it
  is too thin. This must be added last.

  Cook 10 more minutes Open up a beer and dish up a bowl 'o'
  red.

  The Brides of Black Hole Chilli team entered their chilli
  in the 1978 Luckenbach Ladies World Championship Chilli
  Cook-off, where it garnered sixth place.

  The recipe had evolved from the first attempts at the
  Marble Falls Chili Cook-off some years before, where it was
  concocted by Flash Bruhweiler and Sonny Day.

  * National Radio Astronomy Observatory

  ** 1978 Luckenbach Ladies World Chilli Championship

  From: Al Wootten - Chile-Heads Recipe Collection

  Collected by Jim Weller

  Uncle Dirty Dave's Archives

MMMMM

... The really scary thing about middle age is that you know you'll outgrow it.
--- MultiMail/Win32 v0.49
--- SBBSecho 2.12-Win32
 * Origin: The Holodeck  telnet://holo.homeip.net (1:261/1381)