Skriven 2015-11-22 07:38:26 av Dave Drum (1:18/200)
     Kommentar till en text av Sean Dennis
Ärende: Re: donuts
==================
-=> Sean Dennis wrote to Dave Drum <=-

 DD> Dunkies is my #2 favourite. Next time you are in the area I'll treat
 DD> you to Melo-Cream (our local Krispy Kreme Killer). They close their
 DD> stores at 13:00 daily though, so those wanting doughnuts must get there
 DD> earlier than that. And very much earlier for full selection.

 SD> I love Dunkin' Donuts.  I get up early enough these days to help make
 SD> the doughnuts. :D  When I drive past the local DD at 0600, they've
 SD> already made a few fresh batches (they are open 24/7 here).

 SD> In Johnson City, there is a Daylight Donuts that has been there for a
 SD> long, long time, predating the DD franchise in the Tri-Cities for
 SD> several years. I used to go to a franchise when I lived in NW Oregon.
 SD> This one here is pretty darn good too.

 SD> I prefer cake doughnuts over yeast.  The last KK doughnut I had
 SD> deflated to about 1/8" tall and I wondered just why I was paying so
 SD> much for so little...

My default at Dunkies is the Apple Critter. Two of those have served for lunch
for me more than once.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

      Title: Dunkin' Donuts Apple Fritters
 Categories: Breads, Snacks, Fruits, Snacks
      Yield: 1 sugar rush

      2 qt Oil; for frying

MMMMM--------------------------DOUGH--------------------------------
  2 1/4 ts (1 pkt) active dry yeast
    2/3 c  Whole milk; warm to the touch
  3 1/4 c  + 2 tb all-purpose flour;
           - divided
      4    Egg yolks
    1/2 c  Granulated sugar
    1/2 c  Apple cider
    1/4 c  Unsalted butter; melted
      1 tb Vanilla extract
      1 ts Kosher salt
    1/2 ts Ground cinnamon

MMMMM--------------------------APPLES * ----------------------------
    1/4 c  Unsalted butter
      1    Vanilla bean
      7    Granny Smith apples; peeled,
           - cored, chopped
    1/4 c  Granulated sugar
    1/2 ts Ground cinnamon
      1 c  Apple cider
    1/4 c  Apple cider vinegar

MMMMM--------------------------GLAZE--------------------------------
    1/2 c  + 2 tb powdered sugar
    1/4 c  Heavy cream
    1/2 ts Vanilla extract
    1/2 ts Kosher salt

  MAKE THE DOUGH: Place the yeast in a mixing bowl. Pour the milk over the
  yeast a let sit for 5 minutes. Add 2 cups of the flour to the yeast and
  milk mixture, but do not stir. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set
  aside in a warm place until the surface of the flour cracks, about 30 to
  40 minutes.

  In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar. Add the apple
  cider, melted butter, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, 1 1/4 cups of the flour
  and whisk until combined, then add to the yeast mixture. Using an
  electric mixer, beat the dough on low speed for 30 seconds, then
  increase the speed to medium and beat for 1 minute. Add the remaining 2
  tablespoons of flour and mix on low speed for 30 seconds, then increase
  to medium for another 30 seconds. The dough will be VERY soft and
  sticky. Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl, cover the bowl with plastic
  wrap, and set in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size, about
  1 1/2 hours.

  MAKE THE APPLES: Melt the butter in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat.
  Slice the vanilla bean in half lengthwise and scrape the seeds into the
  pan with the melted butter and drop the vanilla bean pod in as well.
  Heat the butter until it is bubbling, then add the chopped apples,
  tossing to coat them with butter. Add the sugar and cinnamon and cook
  for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the apple cider and vinegar,
  increase the heat to medium-high, and cook until all of the liquid has
  evaporated, stirring occasionally, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the
  vanilla bean and transfer the apples to a baking sheet to cool.

  * I have found that canned Apple Pie Filling lets you skip this step and
  is actually closer to what you buy down the Dunkies anyway.

  ASSEMBLE THE DONUTS: Scrape the dough out onto a well-floured surface
  and pat into a rectangle 2 inches thick, flouring the surface as
  necessary. Spread half of the apples over the dough, leaving space
  around the edges. Fold the dough into thirds (like a letter) by folding
  the bottom up and then the top down. Use your hands to again pat the
  dough into another rectangle about 2 inches thick. Spread the remaining
  apples on top and fold into thirds again. Gather the dough together in a
  rough ball and return it to the oiled bowl. Cover and allow to rise
  until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.

  Meanwhile, in a large Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat to
  375øF/190øC. Scrape the dough out again onto a well-floured surface and
  gently pat it out to 1/2" thick, flouring the surface and the dough as
  necessary. Using a pizza cutter, bench scraper or sharp knife, slice the
  dough into 1" pieces in a checkerboard pattern. Shape 4 ounce portions
  of the dough into round mounds and allow to rest for 10 minutes.

  MAKE THE GLAZE: While the dough is resting, mix together the glaze.
  Whisk together the powdered sugar, heavy cream, vanilla and salt in a
  medium bowl set over a small saucepan of simmering water over low heat.
  Heat and whisk occasionally until the mixture is warm to the touch.
  Remove from the heat and keep warm.

  FRY THE DONUTS: Very carefully drop each mound of dough into the hot
  oil, only adding as many as will comfortably fit in the pot so they are
  not crowded. Fry until the underside is golden brown, about 3 minutes,
  then using a spatula or spider skimmer, carefully turn them over and
  continue to cook until the other side is golden brown as well, another 4
  to 5 minutes. Remove the doughnuts to a paper towel-lined pan or a
  cooling rack. Repeat with the remaining doughnuts, allowing the oil to
  come back up to temperature between batches. After removing each batch
  of doughnuts, allow them to sit for about 5 minutes, then brush with the
  glaze. Serve warm or at room temperature.

  Recipe from: http://dunkindonutsathome.blogspot.com

  Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen

MMMMM

... How can you eat one of God's own creatures? With mustard and onions!
--- MultiMail/Win32
 * Origin: Outpost BBS * Limestone, TN, USA (1:18/200)