Skriven 2013-05-25 01:18:00 av MICHAEL LOO (1:123/140)
     Kommentar till en text av RUTH HAFFLY
Ärende: saving dough 604
========================
 RH> That wasn't going to be your post music career?

Har.

 ML> There's a way for the restaurant to economize - offer pasta
 ML> or salad, whereas full-serve places give you both, plus the
 ML> bread basket at no additional charge.
 RH> I've noticed.

The business being a low-margin one, every bit helps, plus the
procedure cuts down on waste.

 RH> Last time I had something similar it was at Alfano's
 RH> in Rochester but the chicken was coated with a bread crumb & parmesan
 RH> cheese mix. It was good; I think the bread is what's needed to bring
 RH> out the full taste of the sauce.

I don't feel that way at all, never did, but I'm more
adamant about that the lower-carb I go.

 ML> There's cheese in that salad, right? I don't eat salad all
 ML> that often and tend to forget to ask if there's cheese on it.
 RH> OTOH, salad is one of my regular requests for a side and I don't mind
 RH> the cheese at all.

I don't feel that way at all. Obviously.

 RH> I've never had the TR chili; I think Steve has a few times and found
 RH> it to be lacking, as comapred to mine.

There's good chili and there's really good chili. But for me
to order it, it doesn't have to be better than yours or mine,
just better than cole slaw, steamed broccoli, potato salad,
and the like.

 RH> I think I'd go for a chili like that with steak but if I were having
 RH> it as a meal, then maybe chili with beans. Either way it needs to be
 RH> served over rice, with cheese or sour cream IMO.

I don't feel that way at all. For me beans, cheese, sour cream
detract from the experience as much as they enhance it for you.
Rice I sometimes make an exception for, but mostly when I'm poor.

 ML> I checked out as soon as I discovered the problem (at 3 am)
 ML> and walked to the airport then, kind of spooky, actually.
 RH> Easier for you to do it than me, especially at that hour of the
 RH> morning.

An old lady trying to get from the airport to Crystal City in
the evening early this month, using some of the paths I used,
was found dead the next day, cause of death unknown. She did
have some kind of dementia, but it's still weird and unsettling.

 ML> when I discovered an ever-so-slight whiff of Absorbine, Jr.
 ML> (not enough to cause a big stink at the front desk or in the
 ML> room) on my sheets at the Radisson, which as it's just a block
 ML> from the Sheraton, probably uses the same laundry service.
 RH> Sounds (or smells) suspicious, something in the water?

I doubt the water, but maybe a notably and repeatedly careless
employee, maybe some other source of contamination.

 ML> came up to me and said, the usual? which was a corned beef
 ML> brisket on light rye extra fatty and a black cherry soda. Yeah.
 RH> Make mine not quite so fatty and change the black cherry to diet Coke.
 RH> Hopefully the sandwich was spread with some good brown mustard and
 RH> there was a kosher dill pickle on the side.

Various mustards and a pickle bowl on the side - half-sours,
full sour dills, and green tomatoes. Last time I think they
were not so generous and served two unfull bowls to a long
table of 12 or so.

 RH> So many of these look like they could be compiled into a "Cooking for
 RH> Dummies" type book (G)

I think the Dummies series actually strives to provide information.

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: About Jams  Jellies & Preserves
 Categories: Jam/jelly, Information
      Yield: 1 Text file

  The less sugar you use the greater the flavor impact of the fruit. If honey
  is used there will be a flavor change and the jellies/jams must be cooked
  longer. If you use artificial sweeteners use only the Cyclamate type to
  avoid bitterness and follow the manufacturer's instructions. Cooked down
  jellies in which the juice is extracted by the open kettle method contain
  60% fruit versus commercial products [pressure cooked to extract more juice
  but pectin destroying] with only 45%

  Jelly: has great clarity from dripping the cooked fruit through a cloth
  before adding sugar and finishing.

  Jams, Butter and Pastes: are whole fruit purees of increasing density.

  Marmalades, Preserves and Conserves: are bits of fruit in a heavy syrup.

  High Pectin Fruits: Apples, Crabapples, Quinces, Red Currants,
  Gooseberries, Plums and Cranberries. These need no additional pectin. If
  you get syrupy jelly you used too much sugar or did not cook the juice long
  enough after adding the sugar.

  Low Pectin Fruits: Strawberries, Blueberries, Peaches, Apricots, Cherries,
  Pears, Blackberries, Raspberries, Grapes, Pineapple and Rhubarb. These
  require combining with high pectin fruits or adding a commercial pectin.

  To Test Pectin Content: Put 1 tbl cooled fruit juice in a glass. Add an
  equal amount of grain alcohol and shake gently. The alcohol will bring the
  pectin together in a gel. If a large amount of pectin is present it will
  appear in a single mass or clot when poured from the glass. Use equal
  amounts of juice and sugar. If the pectin collects in several small
  particles use have as much sugar as juice.

  To sterilize jelly glasses: fill jars 3/4 full of water and place them in a
  shallow pan partly filled with water. Simmer 15 min and then keep hot until
  filled. If the lids are placed on the steaming jars they will be sterilized
  simultaneously.

  Tips: -Use enamel or stainless steel pots not aluminum or copper.
        -On average, use 3/4 c sugar to 1 c fruit or juice depending on
         pectin content[see above].
        -Very acid fruits can tolerate a whole c of sugar.
        -Sterilize jars and seal tightly.
        -For fruit that tends to discolor add lemon juice or Ascorbic acid.
        -Keep in a cool dark place but do not refrigerate.

  Making Jam: is easiest and most economical as it needs only one cooking
  step and uses the pulp. Measure the fruit. In putting it in the pan, crush
  the lower layers to provide moisture until more is drawn out by cooking or
  add a little water. Simmer the fruit until it is soft. Add sugar and stir
  until dissolved. Bring to a boil, stirring to avoid sticking. Reduce heat
  and cook until thickened- up to 1/2 hr.

  Making Preserves and Conserves: Place fruit in a pot with an equal amount
  of sugar in layers ending with sugar on top and allow to rest overnight.
  Bring slowly to a boil and simmer until fruit is translucent. Drain fruit
  and put in sterile jars. Simmer syrup longer if necessary to thicken it and
  pour over fruit. Seal and store.

  Making juice for jelly: Wash and drain fruit. Prick or crush the fruit. Add
  water if fruit is not juicy enough eg. apples. Add enough to the kettle
  that you can see it through the fruit but the fruit is not floating. Cook
  uncovered until the fruit is soft and loosing its color. Have ready a jelly
  bag [several layers of cheese cloth] . Wet it, wring it out and line a
  strainer with it. Let the juice drip through without squeezing it as this
  muddies and flavors the jelly. This juice can be kept up to 6 months before
  proceeding by freezing or canning it.

  Making jelly: Measure the strained juice and put it in an enamel or
  stainless steel pan. Simmer 5 min. Skim off froth. Measure and warm sugar
  in a pan in the oven and add it. Stir until dissolved. Cook at a gentle
  simmer until the point of jelling. To test, place a small amount of jelly
  on a spoon, cool it slightly and let it drop back into the pot from the
  side of the spoon. As the syrup thickens, 2 large drops will form along the
  edge of the spoon. when these two drops run together and fall as a single
  drop the "sheeting" stage has been reached- 220 to 222 deg F and the jelly
  will be firm when cooled. It can take anywhere from 10 to 30 min for jelly
  to reach this stage depending on the fruit and the amount of sugar. Take
  the jars from the sterilizing bath and invert on a cake cooler. They should
  be hot but dry when filled. Fill to 1/4" from the top. Cover with melted
  paraffin 1/8" deep.

  Source: The Dinner Table

-----

___ Blue Wave/386 v2.30