Skriven 2004-12-06 02:24:20 av FidoNews Robot (2:2/2.0)
Ärende: FidoNews 21:49 [03/07]: The Snooze Twenty Years Ago
                   THE SNOOZE TWENTY YEARS AGO

fidonews.man --           04 Dec 84  00:56:08           Page 1

        Volume 1, Number 1                              1 Dec 84
        |                                             _            |
        |                                            /  \          |
        |    - FidoNews -                           /|oo \         |
        |                                          (_|  /_)        |
        |  Fido and FidoNet                         _`@/_ \    _   |
        |    Users  Group                          |     | \   \\  |
        |     Newsletter                           | (*) |  \   )) |
        |                             ______       |__U__| /  \//  |
        |                            / FIDO \       _//|| _\   /   |
        |                           (________)     (_/(_|(____/    |
        |                                                (jm)      |

        Editor:    Tom Jennings
        Publisher: Fido #1

                            HOT NEWS

                     THE FIRST FIDONET NEWSLETTER

                Well, it finally got done ... FidoNews, the FidoNet
        Users Group newsletter is real. It will be published once a
        week, possibly once every two weeks if it gets busy.

                There will be at least three regular "features": the
        node list, Fido list, and the route list. Hopefully there
        will be more interesting things later. Now you have a reason
        to get FidoNews.

                I, Tom Jennings, am apparently the editor. I do NOT
        wish to be editor; the last thing I need is something else
        to do. See the HELP WANTED section. (Not kidding)

                We (ahem) are also looking for a publisher; I will
        do that for a while at least. A freebie outgoing host would
        be nice. Not a short term problem, though, like finding an
        Editor in Chief is.

                *All* articles, etc are user submitted; anything and
        everything, as per usual Fidonet protocols (Which isn't
        saying much ..) Ideas, problems, questions, tips, programs,
        hardware, etc etc are all welcome. See the ARTICLE article.
        (sic)

                Distribution is still up in the air; it will be
        mailed to at least six hosts across the country. For now, it
        is available on #1 and #51. Possibly elsewhere in this thing
        you'll find an article on distribution.

fidonews.man --           04 Dec 84  00:56:15           Page 2

                       THE FIDONET USERS GROUP

                Oh yeah, I did mention that ... I hereby declare all
        Fido users and sysops members of the FidoNet Users Group.
        Sounds pretty stupid, huh? Well ... If there are 100 Fido
        systems around the country, and each has at least 100 users,
        thats 10,000 people. Any group that large has advantages, if
        nothing other than letters to the editor of your favorite
        magazine. This is just a brainstorm at this point, but is
        something to keep in mind.

                To make this fake club at least appear real, I am
        trying to decide whether or not to have bumber stickers
        made. This will be 3 3/4" X 8 1/2" white vinyl, with black
        artwork, will have the requisite doggie, the words "FidoNet
        Bulletin Board Network" and "Fido Node #" on it, and a place
        for a phone number, and blank space. These will cost $165.00
        for 500 stickers, or about $230.00 for 1000. I'll pay part
        of it ($40.00?) but no more; if I get promises to buy say
        $125.00's worth, I'll have them made, and sell them at cost.
        (They cost about 34 cents each; plus 20 cents postage, plus
        envelopes, etc, call it a buck a piece.)

                The real reason for this is so I can have one, but I
        don't want to spend $165 for it!

                        EDITOR'S SOAP BOX

                     ARTICLE SUBMISSION

                The format of this thing is totally ad hoc; please
        make recomendations as to formats, sections needed, liked,
        or hated, columns you'd like to see, or see removed,
        anything at all. If you want to submit something regularly,
        we can start a column for you.

                You are ENCOURAGED to send things in for the
        newsletter. ANYTHING is fit for the newsletter, such as a
        description of your board, problems found, questions, jokes,
        fixes, horror stories about wrong FidoNet numbers, things
        for sale, etc etc etc.

                   SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE

                An article should have your name, node number (if
        applicable), followed by the text. Text can be any ASCII
        derivative; WordStar, soft paragraphs, 8th bit set, etc are
        all OK.

                Articles can be uploaded at either Fido #1 or #51,
        into the NEWS File Area, or by sending it by FidoNet. There
        is a convention for naming the files, so that the newsletter
        can be published automatically.

                       ARTICLE FILENAMES

                file.ART        For article type things

fidonews.man --           04 Dec 84  00:56:21           Page 3

                file.SAL        Things for sale
                file.NOT        Notices
                file.MSC        Miscelaneous things
                file.EDT        an Editorial
                file.NEW        News items
                file.WNT        Wanted items

                Make sure the name is unique, especially if you send
        it by FidoNet, so you dont overwrite another article.

fidonews.man --           04 Dec 84  00:56:22           Page 4

                            NEWS

                      HOW THIS IS PUBLISHED

                This is a totally electronic newsletter; articles
        are written of course by users and sysops, but all other
        parts and proceedures are machine generated.

                For each newsletter, the Editor (thats me folks)
        does the date and volume of the title page (tough job), and
        whatever editorial there may be.

                Articles are checked out for being readable (ie.
        more or less English language), and bum copies (bad uploads,
        etc) are deleted.

                The lists generated by FidoNet Admin (St. Louis)
        such as the node list, Fido list, and the route list, come
        in via FidoNet during the week.

                On the day the newsletter is to be published, Fido
        #1 runs the text formatter (as a schedule) to produce the
        newsletter, using all the articles, the node and Fido lists.
        The completed newsletter is then copied into the NEWS file
        area. All of the article submissions are saved as last
        week's news, and deleted to make room for next weeks.

                Some canned messages are copied into Fido 1's mail
        area, which file attaches the newsletter to the distribution
        points. This completes the FidoNews Newsletter publication.
             FIDO SECURITY - Tom Jennings

                Fido is pretty secure, but there have been a few
        instances where callers gave them selves SYSOP priveleges,
        and ran amok ... the cure is quite simple.

                NEVER NEVER NEVER have your "main" Fido directory
        available as a download or upload area. Always make sure
        there is no path that can reach your .BBS files. It is OK to
        have it as a SYSOP only area, never let it be accessed by
        NORMAL users.

                If it is available, all someone has to do is get a
        copy of SYSOP.EXE, run it, and make a USER.BBS with them as
        SYSOP privelege. After uploading this file, they call back
        in, with the new name, and bingo! they are in control.

                A nastier version of this is to download your
        current user list, use SYSOP.EXE to upgrade them (or two, or
        three ... in case you find one of them) the upload it.

                If this happens to you, delete USER.BBS
        *immediately*. Fix it so that the Fido area is not available
        to users, and then you will be safe.

                Better do it quick, now that it's all documented
        here.

fidonews.man --           04 Dec 84  00:56:28           Page 5

                           NOTICES

                          FOR SALE

                           WANTED

fidonews.man --           04 Dec 84  00:56:29           Page 6

                         THE ROUTE LIST

                This is the latest route list (ROUTE.BBS). Please
        put this into ROUTE.BBS if you are not part of a local
        Fidonet Host system. If you are (or think you are) contact
        the host nearest you. One way to tel is to poke through
        FIDOLIST, and see if a local system found there is also in
        the list below.

        Route-To 1
        1,99
        Route-To 27
        14,21,27,44,45,73,202,310,315,318
        Route-To 51
        4,10,16,17,22,51,65
        Route-To 56
        56,77
        Route-To 59
        59,309
        Route-To 61
        61,302
        Route-To 69
        63,69
        Route-To 85
        85,306,308,312,326
        Route-To 79
        79,204,205,317
        Route-To 207
        42,203,207,320
        Route-To 327
        327,328

--- Azure/NewsPrep 3.0
 * Origin: Home of the Fidonews (2:2/2.0)