Skriven 2004-11-18 08:42:21 av Roy Witt (1:10/22)
   Kommentar till text 1927 av Philip Lozier (1:267/169)
Ärende: Science 1/2
===================
17 Nov 04 17:47, Philip Lozier wrote to Roy Witt:

 BF>>> echo, was that I realized that Thom manually rejected my attempts.
 BF>>> To make a long story short, it all boiles down to the reply below
 BF>>> from Thom (which will also give you an idea of what time period you
 BF>>> have to search this echo in order to get the full story).

 RW>> Of course, it has nothing to do with your attempt to list that which
 RW>> isn't the real world of the listing. Editors Emeritis indicates a
 RW>> plural and would also mean all those former moderators (actually,
 RW>> not all Editors were moderators of this echo) who are no longer in
 RW>> Fidonet and have no means of recieving or replying to these
 RW>> communications.

 PL> And yet the echolist allows listings from another FTN network which
 PL> lists many echo mods as "internet", with an email address to the
 PL> echolist itself.

Doesn't that come under the parview of the echolist keeper? I.E. someone
such as Bob Hoffman must have made prior arrangements to list echoes that
way and perhaps they have a good reason for it. IOW, this is only your
uneducated guess as how that works.

 PL> So, is that to mean that every echo in that network can reach anywone
 PL> on the internet by that e-mail address?

Or is it a figment of your overly active imagination?

 PL> Plural is an understatement of the "internet" being a moderator of an
 PL> echo, yet it is allowed on behalf of that one network?

Rules are rules. If you were the EK, perhaps you might have something
similar, questionable by all.

 PL> Do we have -selective- listing methods in question now, or not?

I'd say you're asking questions about something you don't know about.

 PL>  I think that we would have a better chance of reaching any former
 PL> surviving moderators of FidoNews at 2:2/2 than we would of reaching
 PL> the entire internet at the address provided.

Frankly, I'd be very surprised if any of them, save for a select few who
are still around Fidonet could be contacted. Warren Bonner lives right up
the freeway from many of his friends in So. California, yet he's no longer
heard from in these hallowed halls. Would the Fidonews Editor be able to
do any better? I think not.

 PL> The judgement used, and the justification for it, on the case of
 PL> FidoNews is biased to say the least. AFAI'mC, the echolist has no
 PL> authority over FidoNet at all, never mind echoes who have mods
 PL> outside of Z1, in which zone the echolist is used only by ignorant
 PL> "backache" distribution systems who still insist on even carrying
 PL> echoes that have been dead for years.

And of course, that's your opinion and doesn't swing much weight in the
grand scheme of things. I don't see how a distro carrying a dead echo
affects your everyday use of Fidonet. If it's dead, then there's no
traffic, thus, no burden on your system at all. Outside of you keeping
the tag listed in your mail tosser. If there's no traffic, then it only
takes a minute for you to delete it from your configs. Out of sight, out
of mind.

 PL> The whole process of echoes in Z1 has gone far beyond a joke a very
 PL> long time ago, and this case reads like a poorly made late night
 PL> comedy wannabee show.

In your opinion, which carries no weight in the grand scheme of things.

 PL> Maybe Bjorn should please the echolist and declare the moderator of
 PL> FidoNews to be "internet", and provide his e-mail address... that
 PL> would *HAVE* to be allowed, as it is widely used now in the echolist.

But not in the case of Fidonet...that will only happen when Thom makes
that feature available.

 PL> Wonder how many people would be happy with that one, and if or not
 PL> manual intervention would be nade by the listkeeper to prevent it.

Have you ever thought about FamilyNet being an 'internet' entity and no
longer an FTN?

... taglines.tag
--- Twit(t)-Filter Tossed v2.3 (2000)
 * Origin: Flying \A/ Ranch, Santa Ysabel, CA (1:10/22)