Skriven 2006-07-28 16:12:25 av Carol Shenkenberger (6:757/1)
  Kommentar till text 34823 av Roy Witt (1:1/22)
Ärende: Re: Canadian "Skills"
=============================
*** Quoting Roy Witt from a message to Carol Shenkenberger ***

 CS> Thats right.  Marj was the spelling.  Marj Mills I think?  In this
 CS> case, I *think* they split and she died sometime after.  She moved up
 CS> North (Riverside? name seems to come to mind at least) to live with
 CS> her kids I think it was.

RW> Could be. It was been a long time ago now.

True.  I could ask Joe in other echos when I see him next, but I'm not sure if
it would cause him pain so perhaps, best to let that be.

 CS> Smle, other than the patch over the eye, thats Joe!  Ladies-man for
 CS> sure but not in description in a way that others who havent met him
 CS> would understand. You left out that he's a bit bandy-legged (not bad,
 CS> just a bit).  You'll note Joe's never lacked for a playmate at any
 CS> time.  They kinda line up...

RW> Yeah, the patch I think was because of an infection, if I recall
RW> correctly. He did wear a fairly thick set of glasses too. I did mentio
RW> shakey legs, maybe that's what you mean by bandy-legged. I note that i
RW> didn't take very much time for him to come up with a new partner after
RW> Marj.

True.  Having been 'elsewhere' by then, it seemed quite fast to me, but may not
have been all that fast.  He's had an operation to fix his neck so now can
drive again (severe arthritis stuff).

RW> Dunno if I mentioned it here or elsewhere, but Brian Roberts was my fi
RW> hub...he was very good at it too. His replacement, John Himes, wasn't
RW> nearly as good. John and I went round and round about the way his syst

I had the misfortune to be under this OZ guy who would be down for days at a
time then blame me for not connecting.  Fact is by then, I probably made him
uncomfortable as i was a better hub than he was and was feeding more systems
(points with full BBSes under them, yes, they paid CRP).  Due to 'conflict of
interest' as the treasurer though, I didnt want to be a hub.

RW> was always breaking down. I finally asked Brenda for a different hub a
RW> she assigned me to Andy Brown, who new as much if not more than Brenda
RW> about hubbing. When the computer that hosted the nets mail went down a

Andy was great.  At some point, he was my hub as well.  Funny thing is we
entered at about the same time and had helped one another get setup.  He
shifted to hub while I was the Net202 Treasurer.  (I gather the fellow who
took that over from me at last wasnt nearly as careful and there was an
interim fellow for a bit who was fired and i had to come back in sometime
around 1994).

The fellow who took over from me didnt swap the accounts right for one thing so
a year later, i still couldnt close my accounts at that bank until I
complained to Brenda.  I tried to close them and they wanted to forward to me
the entire Net202 treasurer funds (at that time, close to 1,000$ in a combined
phone and mailer machine repair money).

 RW>> I met Bob Kohl and was recruited for more clandestine operations.

 CS> By then, I was in Net275 and bringing in new points to nodelisting
 CS> status just like I had done in 202.  I was on a ship though so I
 CS> didnt do any *C stuff at all except feed points and get them ready.

RW> I remember hearing about you from members of 202 about then. I remembe
RW> when you became NC there.

Yup.  Got voted in 6 months before I finished my stint on the STENNIS but
told'em we'd need to wait so another fellow took it til i could transfer.  He
did a good job.  6 months or so after that, I was appointed as temp RC13
pending election (the old one became Z1C).  See, I'd made the mistake of
saying i wanted to learn more and asked some good questions in the regional
echo <g>.

No one else was showing the same desire and potential so I got listed which
suprized the hell out of me, a wet behind the ears NC.  Came election time, I
had done so much, no one had much of a chance really and I ran pretty much the
show til I left with help from others who got me up to speed on technical
things I didnt know at the start.

*chuckle* I'm as complex as a tube sock as said so believe me when I say that
by now, I know alot about*C things at all levels of the game.  I'm not
particularily good with filebone, but I can meet any need in any other area
and can manage that one 'well enough'.

 RW>> You're a good gal...

 CS> Thanks <wink>.  I have my moments.  The funny times are when folks
 CS> try to impute an ulterior motive to me.  I would know an ulterior
 CS> motive it it crawled up my dress, and then if I did notice it, I'd
 CS> squash it!  I am an uncomplex as a tube sock, which doesnt mean I'm
 CS> 'dumb' but rather I'm the plain spoken sort.

 CS> Then again, you all know that.

RW> Yeup...

Hehe Kinda nice to be 'known'.  It's wierd but do you realize we've never had a
fight?  Oh, some small tribulations over FN_SYSOP long ago when we were
opposite ends of a situation but even then we were overall decent to one
another.

 RW>> That deadline I mentioned above will either start some action or
 RW>> finis off Z6 like it should be.

 CS> True.  I thought we'd be ready now but got asked to wait.  Xmas is
 CS> the latest I can really wait though there may be another long inport
 CS> before i go, that one is the last reasonably 'sure' one.  Ships
 CS> schedules change too much to have other windows stay for sure.  To
 CS> clarify, forward deployed ships schedules change too much.

RW> The Navy must have a real job on it's hands in figuring out where to k
RW> you guys; Japan to keep and eye on that funny little man in N Korea or
RW> gulf, where world war may break out at any minute.

It does.  We are what is called 'forward deployed' which means we get sent all
sorts of places fast, with little notice.  Security rules prevent me from
telling even my best buddies where I am most of the time and as you'll note
perhaps, I dont play games with that.  I'll post 'what port i am in' only
after i am there (no longer classified once there).  Rarely, it's a matter of
public knowledge so I can advance tell but that's things like Tsumani related
activity and you can get the info from CNN's web before i say anything as
happened with the India situation not long ago.

 CS> do.  For example, we had 3 days notice to deploy for the gulf and
 CS> came back 8.5 months later for 2 weeks then back out 2 months
 CS> 'elsewhere'.

RW> I've noticed that. The same carrier has been in the same spot in SD ha
RW> for years, never going out to sea that I could detect. 30 years ago, I
RW> a guided tour of the sub pens in SD, by a weapons officer of a nuke su
RW> stationed there. Bet you can't do that these days.

Yeah, welded to the pier practically.  The worst part for us is we have so
little time in port, they pack that jam-full with certifications so we often
have no 'break'.  That 2 weeks inport after the gulf 8.5 months was filled
with Damage Control certifications piled in with others all happening at the
same time and we worked til 1800 every day while in 3 section duty (every 3rd
day, you cant go home).

The Navy has to do it that way when you are out an average 280 days a year like
i have been.  It's not all bad though.  I've had some wonderful port visits,
traveling places most of you can only dream of.

RW> Kelsey Grammer as a sub captain, you've got to see it. It's hilariousl
RW> funny and has some great acting in it. 'Woman on board' a submarine as
RW> dive officer makes it even better. And as usual, Bruce Dern is up to h
RW> nefarus self as the sub captain's commanding officer.

Oh, I have it.  EXCELLENT movie!

 CS> Still, there's time to let them settle things out still, so will wait
 CS> on them in Z6 for that second timeframe.  I'll be here another few
 CS> weeks but it's more sensible to make sure i have 2 weeks left *after*
 CS> the transition when still in port, if possible.  Dates the will be
 CS> hardline as i wont have quite as much time to work with.

RW> Yeah, if you give them 6 more months, they should be able to settle th
RW> by then. Probably won't though.

Maybe not, but they will have no choice then or you'll see a new Z6C if i can
get one to wake up <g>.  I make no promises on that as i do not know what will
happen.

 CS>> Yeah, and lots of other stuff! 4,000 some odd books (YeahHoo!) and
 CS>> some cookery stuff.

 RW>> Most of my library is of a technical nature, maybe 200 books. Nancy
 RW>> ha few cookbooks, which I use too. I left a bunch of old tech books
 RW>> with goodwill when we moved. I did keep a few that were interesting,
 RW>> like t 1906 high school science book that is completely out of line
 RW>> with toda thinking...in fact some of it is wrong.

 CS> Ohh I luv my books!  I have thousands.  Literally.  There's a few
 CS> genres missing from the sets as i'm not a major fan of those types,
 CS> but have a smattering of most types.

RW> I wouldn't have left them, but the truck was getting full, so we decid
RW> to cull some of the stuff we really didn't need. Nancy's kids were goi
RW> to be producing babies very soon, if at all and mine were scattered ar
RW> the country. The baby/kids books and most of her mom's Spanish books w
RW> donated to Goodwill too. That and the 78rpm Spanish recordings that we
RW> just gathering dust in MY garage.

I have some good kids books but my selection no longer contains ones too much
younger than an 8YO might want to read.

 CS> Charlottes favorites include (but arent limited to):  Little Women,

<snip>
 CS> Like me, she's always got a book 'in progress' and this message would
 CS> be way too long to list more than a scratch at the surface of what
 CS> she likes.

RW> She's probably searching for her niche' at that age. As her world expa
RW> she'll find a favorite.

She likes fantasy but isnt yet up to the ones I read.  It's not that her
reading skills lack, but that the 'interest value' is otherwise directed in
story-lines.  I do not 'direct' what she reads at all, but she's got access to
the library and we never ever stint on book money here for her.  If she sees
it and wants to buy it and it's a book, we get it.

She seems to really like 'mystery-fantasy' so far as 'best pick' but her
current book is a Louis Lamor western.

 CS> version was what i had and it was so disgustingly racial, I dumped
 CS> them back on the used book store.  If it could be cleaned up of all
 CS> that mess, it's a decent read.

RW> That kind of work is why I stick to the technical books. If I need to

(on Tarzan books).  Most are pretty sane, but that one series I didnt like at
all.  I always thought secretly that I might have an ugly bit of (gasp)
predjudice in my soul that I wanted gone but reading that series sickened me
to the point where I got rid of it without bothering to read the rest.

RW> One that my dad would always pick up to read when he and mom would vis
RW> us in California; A History of the World, which goes back to before th
RW> were records kept. I guesss there is everything you need to know in th

HG Wells.  I have it.  Neat stuff in there!  Pretty sure i have the right
author and no, it's not fictional.  2 volumes if i recall it right.  It's in
storage so cant check.

                                       xxcarol

--- Telegard v3.09.g2-sp4
 * Origin: SHENK'S EXPRESS, Sasebo Japan 81-6160-527330 (6:757/1)