Skriven 2006-08-24 13:40:05 av Roy Witt (1:397/22)
  Kommentar till text 37260 av Björn Forsström (2:203/614.61)
Ärende: Bic lighter?                        was: Frank - take a break (was CELE
23 Aug 06 21:14, Björn Forsström wrote to Roy Witt:

 BF>>> Oh, and what terrorist acts have they done?

 RW>> None yet...but it's a well known fact that Arabic terrorists are
 RW>> entering Mexico, learning how to speak and dress like a native and
 RW>> then paying a coyote to get them across the border into the US. Many
 RW>> have been arrested and either detained or released, depending on
 RW>> what HLS laws were being enforced at the time.

 BF> What happend to innocent until proven guilty?

Were they imprisoned or were they merely detained? Suspect isn't guilty.

 BF> They haven't done anything but they are already convicted. Nice.

They haven't been convicted, merely detained under suspicion of committing
a crime. See, it's illegal to enter the US without the proper papers,
which would be their first crime. Rather than try them in a court of law,
they are merely returned to Mexico or to their native country, whichever
that may be.

 BF>>> Really?
 RW>> Yeup...

 BF> Have you any idea what had happend if Janis would have had the
 BF> lighter in her suitcase?

It would  have been confiscated...do try to keep up.

 BF>>> That's not what the Fins answered me and so far the one in my
 BF>>> pocket haven't been any problem.
 RW>> The Fins aren't very worried about terrorists. Try it at a US port
 RW>> of entry.
 BF> So why did they open my suitcase and removed the lighter if they
 BF> wern't worried about terrorists?

They didn't like your looks?

 BF>>> How do you know that?
 RW>> For one, I know people who've had theirs taken. For another, Janis
 RW>> just stated here that hers was confiscated on her flight to or from
 RW>> Las Vegas.
 BF> And that's just what I mean with it's a joke.

Either way, those are the facts of life...

 BF>>> And that is during flying and as far as I know (at least here) it
 BF>>> isn't allowed to use them in any plane above a certain hight
 BF>>> because then they will reach too far and that can disturb the
 BF>>> systems hand-over to another base station.

 RW>> Cell phones, by their nature are very short waved RF devices, in
 RW>> fact on the order of micro waves. If you get too high in the air,
 RW>> it's probable that you won't be able to reach a cell site to make a
 RW>> call. Not to mention the Faraday affect on a hand-held RF device
 RW>> without an external antenna. External meaning on the outside of the
 RW>> aircraft.

 BF> So? They are just as harmful whenver they are used

Sure. Those microwaves are also cooking your brain, if you hold it
anywhere near your ear when you use it. Hmmm, maybe you've been using
yours too often.

 BF> and I don't buy your explanation about the Faraday affect

Apparently you have no idea what Faraday means.

 BF> since I can sit in my car 10 000 m from the nearest base and use it
 BF> without any problem.

So can I. The reason is that your cell phone will be able to tx and rx
through the glass windows. If it were an airplane, you'd have a more
difficult time with it, because the windows are much smaller, meaning
you'd have to be next to one to maintain contact with a cell site. If you
have a ear-phone-mic accessory on your cell phone, try putting your cell
phone in a metal container and see if it will maintain a connection with
any cell site.

 BF>>> You can bring it but not drink it.

 RW>> I think there's something about the consumption of alcohol on long
 RW>> flights that tends to dehydrate the body, not to mention that the
 RW>> affects of alcohol are supposedly tripled by the altitudes traveled.

 BF> Oh, this was news to me.

See, you learn something everyday. Next time you're buying tickets, ask
someone there how much alcohol affects your metabolism at high altitudes.

 BF> So you think that all that's going on on long flights is to drink
 BF> alcohol and that we get more drunk at 10 000 m than at ground level?

No to the first part and yes, it's possible to the second part. You're not
very up on these things are you.

 BF> Tripled effect you say. That means that after 10 cl whiskey and a
 BF> beer I should have had over 30 cl. Don't you think I should have been
 BF> rather drunk by then?

No it doesn't. It means that the oxygen level in your blood is lower than
it was when you were on the ground. Alcohol will give you a buzz much
sooner than it would when you were on the ground. The quantity of alcohol
in your blood will be the same, but it will affect you more.

 BF> Well, I was't. In fact, I didn't feel a thing.

I know, you're immune to breathing.

 BF>>> Oh, so matches doesn't have the same effect as a lighter?

 RW>> Where do you see anything I mentioned about that? I said that
 RW>> tobacco is not self igniting, meaning that you would need an outside
 RW>> source to get it to burn; matches, lighters, etc...
 BF>>> To set things on fire?
 RW>> ?

 BF> Matches can lit a cigarette and they can also lit a fuse so they both
 BF> set things on fire but you get to keep the matches. Strange, innit?

Who said you get to keep the matches? All I said was that it's awfully
hard to ignite tobbaco without a flame.

 BF>>> On what?
 RW>> Where you're flying, for one.
 BF> So having a lighter in the US is more dangerous than having one in
 BF> Thailand?

Dunno, you'll have to ask the airlines that question. AFAIC, having a
lighter is no more dangerous than having a tube of tooth paste. But,
somebody at the HLA must think differently.

 BF>>> Have you noticed that you are starting to sound like Frank when
 BF>>> he's out of arguments?

 RW>> Whether or not Frank and/or I have 'run out of arguements' depends
 RW>> on the person with whom we are having a discussion. If the person is
 RW>> as dense as a fence post, it probably looks that way to them, but to
 RW>> those who're a bit more of a hip thinker, it probably passes as
 RW>> logical.

 BF> Still out of arguments I see.

When one repeats himself, he usually doesn't have anything else to say,
being a little ignorant and all.

 BF>>> And....? Doesn't anyone smoke in the US?
 RW>> Asked the fence post...
 BF> I just did.

I know, Mr Fencepost.

 BF>>> That's my problem, not the airport securities.
 RW>> So why do you continue that nasty habit?
 BF> It's not even one of your problems either.

I didn't say it was, just asked the question. If you're too embarrassed to
answer it, I'll understand. Some people have enough courage to face their
problems, others are lacking in a big way.

 BF>>> I make my own from raw tobaco ordered by mail so....?
 RW>> LOL! I'll bet they'll sell you some matches too.
 BF> Nope, not on their ordering list.

That's probably a good thing. You might get hurt playing with matches
without a adult around.

               R\%/itt

--- Twit(t) Filter v2.1 (C) 2000
 * Origin: SATX Alamo Area Net * South * Texas, USA * (1:397/22)