Mte FIDONEWS_OLD1, 49742 texter
 lista frsta sista fregende nsta
Text 40044, 285 rader
Skriven 2006-09-26 21:29:00 av BOB KLAHN (1:123/140)
     Kommentar till en text av ROY WITT
rende: Rebuilding New Orleans
==============================
 Ain't you bright enough to spot when you are being setup?

 FS>>> Hasn't Nagin been *jailed* yet?   How come???

 BK>>  Maybe because some of his biggest supporters are hard core
 BK>>  conservatives.

  Northshore Politics

Conservative and, on a good day, humorous commentary on national politics.

    Sunday, May 21, 2006

      Let me try to explain Nagin's re-election

Bloggers, such as Michelle Malkin
<http://michellemalkin.com/archives/005235.htm>, all around the
blogosphere this morning are astonished that Ray Nagin won re-election.
I am going to try to explain how it happened.

The first thing you have to do is go back to the days before Katrina.
Ray Nagin was a conservative businessman who was actually a very good
mayor for New Orleans. He was fighting the in-grained corruption that
has plagued the city for decades. It was a hard fight, but slowly he was
gaining ground.

Then came Katrina. I'm sure that you are all thinking of those pictures
of the flooded buses, right? Well, I don't think the nation understands
how little time we had to put plans into action. Yes, we had years to
prepare, but we only had 2, yes TWO, days to put those plans into
action. In contrast, with Hurricane Rita, Houston started to evacuate a
full week before the storm was projected to hit land. As of Friday night
before Katrina, we were still being told that the storm was going to
Florida. We woke on Saturday to full panic mode. NO ONE WAS PREPARED! I
think that this fact has been lost in the aftermath.

Nagin delivers on his promise to unite

By TYRA M. VAUGHN <vaughn06.html>
NYT Institute

Mayor C. Ray Nagin achieved two victories on May 20.

Not only did he win a highly contested mayoral runoff election,
defeating Lt. Gov. Mitch Landrieu by a narrow margin, but he also made
good on a promise that no one, not even the president of the United
States , thought he could keep.

?I told the president the last time he was here (in New Orleans ) that
we're going to win a race where we're going to bring together
African-Americans and Republicans,? Nagin told a crowd of parishioners
at his church, St. Peter Claver in Treme, just hours after his victory.
?And we won.?

Local political experts said race was one of the most important factors
in Nagin's election to a second term. The votes cast by black people and
those of white conservatives, who mainly vote Republican, are what
solidified the mayor's victory in the election, the experts said.

In Louisiana: the Tortoise, the Hare and a Problem for Bubba
Jindal making inroads among black voters

By Adam Nossiter, The Associated Press, Nov 14, 2003

It's Bubba's dilemma: in Louisiana, the choice for governor is an Indian
American or a woman, and it's the woman who has the hunting license.

Yet in this cultural patchwork, pickup trucks don't travel the standard
Southern road. The shock of what's different is welcomed. Politics is
part of life's show, and voters have already banished the familiar ? the
white male authority figure ? for something else.

So it's either a non-Anglo Saxon immigrant's son with a gold-plated
resume or a Cajun political veteran trumpeting motherhood.

And this conservative ex-Bush administration official would be the rare
Republican to make inroads into the black vote. After some high-profile
endorsements, including one from New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin this week,
polls show him with between 12 to 15 percent of the black vote, more
than twice the usual Republican total.

    The Weekly's inside political track....

By Christopher Tidmore
September 15, 2003
<http://www.louisianaweekly.com/talkback.php?article=The%20Weekly%27s%20inside%2

0political%20track%2E%2E%2E%2E&author=By%20Christopher%20Tidmore&date=September%2015%2C%202003>

Will Ewing Feel The Nagin Surge...

Less than two hours before his press conference on Tuesday, Ray Nagin
was still playing coy about his choice for Governor. He told The Weekly
when asked about his intentions, "Me, I'm just twiddling my thumbs."
Promptly at 10:00 am, though, the Mayor introduced former Senate
President Randy Ewing as his candidate for Louisiana governor saying, "I
believe this man has

the vision and will to reform this state...Randy Ewing can deliver the
results and can deliver them quickly."

Whether or not Nagin's backing will be enough to make the Conservative
Democrat from Quitman a front-running contender remains the
million-dollar question. Ewing, who is hopeful that Nagin's endorsement
will do just that, said of he and Nagin, "We are businessmen. Not only
are we businessmen, but we have worked in business. I think it will be a
wonderful team."

TOPIC: Politics <http://www.pbs.org/newshour/topic/politics/index.html>

Online NewsHour <http://www.pbs.org/newshour/>

Originally Aired: May 22, 2006

  Nagin Re-elected in Narrow New Orleans Mayoral Race

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin won re-election in a tight run-off race
Saturday, and now faces the challenge of starting the massive rebuilding
effort of the hurricane-battered city. Ray Suarez provides an update.

Landrieu's father, Moon, was the last white mayor to lead New Orleans in
the '70s. Landrieu won a majority of the white vote and picked up more
local endorsements during the campaign.

But Nagin, a former cable television executive, captured 80 percent of
the black vote and convinced enough white conservatives that his
business background would help return the city to pre-Katrina glory.

RAY SUAREZ: For more, I am joined by Silas Lee, a professor of sociology
at Xavier University, and head of his own public opinion research
company. He is a consultant to the Democratic National Committee and has
worked for Mayor Nagin as a pollster in this year's campaign. He's done
additional work for the mayor in the past.

And Susan Howell joins us, a professor of political science at the
University of New Orleans. She's not affiliated with any of the candidates.

Professor Lee, in the first round of the election, Mayor Nagin got 38
percent. Who did he add to his coalition to get to 50 percent-plus-one?

SILAS LEE, Sociology Professor, Xavier University: Well, it was a very
unusual political marriage here. You had white conservatives coming
together to support Mayor Nagin, because they were closely aligned in
his political philosophy and they did not like the Landrieu family.
Basically, they felt Mitch Landrieu was too much of a traditional Democrat.

And you had African-Americans supporting the mayor because of the belief
that it was very important to keep him in office, the symbolic
significance of it, as well as many believe that he was unfairly
criticized for his performance after Hurricane Katrina. And that
criticism was shared by African-Americans, as well as whites.

  MSNBC.com

Nagin retains leadership of New Orleans
Incumbent narrowly fends off challenge from Landrieu in run-off vote
The Associated Press

Updated: 12:30 a.m. ET May 21, 2006

Howard and 250 other evacuees wearing "Displaced Voter" T-shirts were
greeted by a jazz band at a City Hall rally with Nagin and Landrieu.

Nagin predicted black voters and conservative white voters, many of whom
supported him in 2002 but defected to other candidates in the April
primary, would come together to support him.

“Were going to have a coalition of African-American voters and
conservative voters that will blow peoples minds,” he said Friday.

  New Orleans Elections: Is Nagin Still The Real Deal?

      New Orleans

Author: Jeff Crouere <author.aspx?aid=4>  |  4/26/2006

         Remember the old Ray Nagin? This was the candidate who was
tagged by his opponents in 2002 as Ray “Reagan” because he made a
contribution to the campaign of George W. Bush. He was chastised as
being insensitive to the Democratic Party when he endorsed Republican
Bobby Jindal in the 2003 Governors race. This endorsement earned him
the perpetual enmity of Jindals opponent Governor Kathleen Blanco and
did not win him any points with the Landrieu family either. His
African-American opponents, especially aggrieved ministers, claimed that
Nagin was a “white man in black skin” because he was supposedly too
concerned with the business community and not concerned enough about
maintaining city contracts with religious and community organizations.
Eventually, Nagin made amends with the ministers and except for Rev. Tom
Watson and a few others, most supported Nagin in the primary election.
However, he never really patched up his differences with the Louisiana
Democratic Party. Most party officials are staunchly supporting Lt.
Governor Mitch Landrieu in the run-off election on May 20.

At this point, Nagin is the slight underdog in the run-off against
Landrieu. Although Nagin ran first in the primary election, as an
incumbent with only 38% of the vote, the majority of the electorate,
62%, voted for change. However, Nagin may be able to make a serious
claim for those white, conservative, Republican voters who cast ballots
for Ron Forman, Rob Couhig and Peggy Wilson in the primary. Nagin is
comfortable talking about pro-business, conservative economic theory and
he understands the value of incentives and the bottom line. Nagin will
remind conservative voters that Landrieu has a very anti-business voting
record in the Louisiana Legislature and is perceived as “liberal.”

Jeff Crouere is a native of New Orleans, LA and he is the host of a
Louisiana based program, “Ringside Politics,” which airs at 8:30 p.m.
Fri. and 10:00 p.m. Sun. on WLAE-TV 32, a PBS station, and Noon till 2
p.m. weekdays on several Louisiana radio stations. For more information,
visit his web site at www.ringsidepolitics.com. E-mail him at
jeff@ringsidepolitics.com.

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin Wins Re-Election

 Fox News Sunday , May 21, 2006

Nagin, a former cable television executive, was able to win back some of
the conservative white voters who supported him four years ago but then
abandoned him during the primary.

Many had sought new leadership after complaining of the slow rate of
rebuilding and the national controversy caused by Nagin's tearful plea
for the federal government to "get off their (behinds) and do something"
in the aftermath of Katrina. His remark on Martin Luther King Day that
God intended New Orleans to be a "chocolate" city sparked outrage ? and
then an apology from Nagin.

But during the run-off campaign, Nagin actively courted conservative
white voters by emphasizing his business background in contrast to
Landrieu, a longtime politician and a member of Louisiana's equivalent
to the Kennedy family. He would have been the first white mayor of New
Orleans since his father, Moon, in the 1970s.

"After the Martin Luther King comments and his post-Katrina comments,
his political obituary had been written," Lee said. But Nagin won with
"an unusual political shotgun marriage between conservative whites and
progressive African-Americans," Lee said.

BOB KLAHN bob.klahn@sev.org   http://home.toltbbs.com/bobklahn

... Sometimes a myth is as good as a mile.  If you lithp.
 * Silver Xpress V4.5/P [Reg]
 * Origin: Try Our Web Based QWK: DOCSPLACE.ORG (1:123/140)