Skriven 2013-09-29 13:53:48 av Jon Justvig (1:261/38)
Ärende: Fidonews Vol 30 no 39 Page: 5
=====================================
         The Guide to Unhappiness, or Communication Problems
                   Ulrich Schroeter, 2:244/1120

    If you've just lost your Bossnode or your uplink, you have the
    possibility to gain more frustration.
    In todays Fidonet world of major FoIP links, you're searching
    for an uplink who is able to support you with an IP link.
    With a majority of BinkD installations, the maximum has been
    done, to support you for your unhappiness.

    Step I.   Write a netmail to your new Bossnode of your choice.
              Ask him to apply you a link. As you've still running
              as Point #13, thats sufficient and if this point
              number is still not assigned, you'd be delighted to
              get this point number. Notify the new Bossnode, that
              you'll call his system frequently.

    Step II.  The Bossnode assigns the requested Point number,
              adds all the links, Tosser, Ticker, Tracker, Session-
              passwords, sends you a welcome netmail, attaches
              the newest Nodelist as Fattach, same with current
              Pointlist and still awaits your next call.

    Step III. (2 hours are enough to receive a first reply)
              Calling the new Bossnodes system.
              Nothing ...
              (Ok, Bossnode still didn't read my netmail ...)

    Step IV.  Bossnode still has set a reply on hold for delivery.
              But damn - mails on hold haven't been picked up by the
              new downlink in his last connection attempt :-P

    Step V.   (Ok, 120 min's later, sleepyheads are still awake.
               Give it a new try ...)
              Calling the new Bossnodes system.
              Nothing ...
              (Oh boy, still have the time today to do all the
               reconfiguration, but still got no response so far)

    Step VI.  The new Bossnodes still noticed the latest call
              from his new Point configured. But all the mails and
              files set on hold had not been transfered yet in
              the Points connection attempt. Sounds like an old
              Crosspoint problem, that requires a dummy packet
              to be delivered, to trigger transfer of mails and
              files that awaits delivery.
              Ok, logfile shows the current IP the point calls from.
              Adding the dns hostname into Binkd config for the new
              Point with password set to "-" and setting the Crash
              flavor. Give it a try to send a crash mail.
              But Binkd still reports
                [#] trying <current dns hostname>...
                [#] unable to connect: {10060} Connection timed out
              results as expected. The point has not opened the
              default Binkd port in the firewall ...
              Removing the dns hostname from config ...
              How can I send the Point a message, who still awaits
              my response? The response that still sits in my
              outbound since about 12 hours?
              Ok, the mailer presents my systemname, my location,
              my sysopname ... maybe the new Point reads my
              short message ?!?
                    Hi .13, please call voice #######
                    Mail still resides in outbound for delivery

    Step VII. (New day - new try ...)
              Calling the new Bossnodes system.
              Nothing ...
              (Damn - what a lazy sysop ... now had approx 24 hours
               time to add me as new point and sending me a
               response, but still no success :-P )

    Step VIII. The new Bossnodes still noticed the last call.
               Hopefuly the Point looks into his logfiles to
               notice my short message ....
               awaiting a call ...

    Step IX.   (4 hours later ... for a Sunday a good time to give
                it a try again)
               Calling the new Bossnodes system.
               Nothing ...
               (??? Did Fidonet still died that silently, that a big
                Hub doesn't respond to my netmail?)

    Step X.    Mhh. the last call now sends my short message the
               2nd time, but still no phone call yet.
               The point must be blind ...
               Ok, Binkley outbound ... mails sets on hold.
               Should I give a try with bundles set to "Normal" and
               "Direct" ?
               Ok, give it a try.
               Writing a couple of netmails, reporting the problems
               identified, setting the Flag "Direct" on the first
               mail, and leave it "Normal" on the 2nd netmail.
               For better analysis, a more frequent calling would
               become helpful, but ok. Leave the Point a modified
               short message:
                  "Please send Freq FILES in your next call"

    Step XI.   (late evening ... give it the last try for today)
               Calling the new Bossnodes system.
               Nothing ...
               (mhh. Maybe the sysop is on a short weekends trip?
                ok, tommorow is a new working weekday)

    Step XII.  ??? ... Its possible, that the Point still tries
               to contact other potential new Bossnodes, but
               probably he still has no luck connecting to any
               system?
               So I write an echomail in the local sysops chatter
               echo. Asking around if another bossnode has
               received a request from a Point #13 searching for
               a new Bossnode, but all his calls goes dev/nul
               despite the fact, mail is sitting on hold ...

    Step XIII. (new day, working weekday ... the new Bossnode
                should have returned from his short vacation)
               Calling the new Bossnodes system.
               Nothing ...
               (Ok, maybe the Bossnode reads his mails in the
                evening ...)

    Step XIV.  Still received a message in the sysops chatter
               that the Point still has sent a request to at
               least one another potential Bossnode, but
               all his calls still results the same way -
               No mails delivered.
               If someone has contact to Point #13 please
               leave him a message, that may system still has
               mail waiting for him.

    Step XV.   (new day, working weekday, 2nd try ...)
               Calling the new Bossnodes system.
               Nothing ...
               (Ok, maybe the Bossnode reads his mails in the
                evening ...)

    Step XVI.  Damn, no Binkd configuration parameter around
               that pushes the waiting mail on hold in the
               next Points session?
               Maybe an updated Binkd revision has a bugfix
               implemented? to circumvent this dummy packet
               problem?
               The Point still sent no email address,
               no phone number in his initial request for
               a new point number ...
               Maybe he did published an email address in
               one of his posts in one of the echo areas?
               Ok, give it a try ...
               Searching the Fidobase MySQL database from the
               Fidonet-History-Project for older mails from
               this Point ...
                 SELECT count(id) FROM fidobase.echo_e
                  where fromname='<username>';
               Result: 78
               Wouw ...
               Displaying the mails shows only the shortest
               possible footer ... Greetings, <nickname>
               But the posts in two specific echoes gives an
               indication that the Point was in contact with two
               sysops I'm knowing well.
               Writing my results to the sysops chatter in the
               hope that the known sysops had contact with the
               Point in the past.

    Step XVII. (new day, working weekday, late evening ...)
               Calling the new Bossnodes system.
               Nothing ...
               (tock tock tock ... anybody out there?)

    Step XVIII. No one still responded to my sysop chatters mails.
                No success by naming the two known sysops that they
                may had contact with the Point in the past.
                Asking around if someone may have an idea to
                get the Point on the hook ... or maybe he
                get success at anothers Bossnode system?

    Step XIX.  (another day ...)
               Calling the new Bossnodes system.
               Nothing ...
               (frustration ON)

    Step XX.   Why in hell, the Point didn't read his mailer logs?
               Why in hell he buyed the oneway ticket to ride?

    Step XXI.  (...)
               Calling the new Bossnodes system.
               Nothing ...
               (frustration DOUBLE-ON)

    Step XXII. Ok, studying the Binkd config again.
               Yesterday I've read in a history log about
               an added parameter Send-If-Pwd and a TRF log entry
               fixed around 2005. But my revision is realy new.
               From June this year ... Hmm.
               Reading again the sample Binkd config line by line
               after I didn't find anything in a global file
               search of Binkd documentation about TRF and dummy
               packet. What is this Send-If-Pwd for?
               Hmm. Re-reading the short description again and
               again.
                  # Don't send (only receive) files if no password
                  # for an inbound session
               Hmm. I've added the new pointnumber with a session
               password, but the Point still calls with his old AKA.
               As the Point didn't send a One-Time-Password in his
               request I cannot add a session password in the binkd
               config for the Points old AKA as I have no chance to
               get the One-Time-Password transfered over to him :-P
               so he can temporarely configure his system, to send
               a session password, so SEND-IF-PWD becomes true :-O
               Ok, I think I've found the source of the problems
               discovered in the last few days ...
               Give it a try ...
               Setting SEND-IF-PWD on Remark in Binkd config and
               waiting until the Point calls again my system.

               Hours later ....

    Step XXIII. (...)
                Calling the new Bossnodes system.
                HEY, whats that ? tons of mails and files ...
                the session doesn't want to finish ...
                still more and more files ...

              you send your request to as many sysops as
              possible

              :-)

    FIDONEWS  Vol 30 No 39       Page  5         September 30, 2013

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
 * Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)