Skriven 2013-10-24 05:47:38 av Lee Lofaso (2:203/2)
  Kommentar till text 10810 av Mark Hofmann (1:261/1304)
Ärende: Obama Scare Premiums
============================
Hello Mark,

 JK>> "Welcome To My World" <tm> <g> as far as benefits go. Like I said
 JK>> earlier, our health insurance is about at the level of catastrophe
 JK>> insurance. It's been like this for a while.

MH>In Maryland, people that have no health insurance go to the ER for
MH>everything. That accounts for a fairly large percentage of people in
MH>the neighborhood, where it is located.  They never pay a dime.

In Louisiana, we used to have a charity hospital system (thanks to
Huey P. Long and his brother Earl K. Long).  However, that charity
hospital system which has served us so well for decades has been
gutted and replaced with privatization, thanks to our current
governor, Piyush "Bobby" Jindal.

The charity hospital system accepted all patients, those with and
those without insurance.  If a patient had insurance, their insurance
company would pay the bill.  If a patient did not have insurance, the
state would (in effect) pay the bill.  Doctors and nurses received a
salary from the state.  The state provided the hospital and all the
medical equipment needed.  The patients got the benefit of having
access to quality health care for a great price.

Having no other option but to go to the ER is NOT access to quality
health care.  By the time folks who have no health insurance go to
a clinic or to the ER for help it is far too late for treatment that
could save their lives.  The ACA changes that, making it possible
for almost everyone to obtain health insurance.  That is something
that saves lives.

MH>Obamacare won't change this.  These same people pay no tax, no
MH>not sure how that fee will work.  Even if they paid for insurance,
MH>they would never pay the deductible.  Still leaving the tax payors
MH>holding the bag.

Every state should have a charity hospital system.  It is a system
that worked, and worked well, in Louisiana for decades (until "Bobby"
Jindal pulled the plug).  If the states are unwilling to do that,
the Congress should pass legislation to include a public option as
part of Obamacare.  I am sure the President would be more than happy
to sign such a fine piece of legislation into law.

 JK>> Seriously, that is how the small company we work for has dealt with the
 JK>> cost of health insurance for quite a long time. The company is in Ohio..
 JK>> we're in NY.

MH>Many small companies have the worst health benefits availible, since
MH>they don't have the money or the mass amount of employees to get a
MH>good discount.

Many small companies (and small businesses) are subsidiaries of much
larger companies (or businesses).  However, despite the cries that
America would become a nation of part time workers, the opposite has
been happening with Obamacare taking center stage.  More Americans
are finding full time employment, while fewer Americans are being
forced into part time employment.  That is what tends to happen when
an economy is expanding.  Companies and businesses hire more and more
full time employees.  Downsizing is not an option.

 JK>> Not over here.. those "mandates" have not affected the cost of our
 JK>> insurance at all.

MH>I'm sure the insurance companies are not providing all the new
MH>mandates to policy holders out of the goodness of their heart.
MH>They are getting the extra money somewhere.  Maybe they are
MH>getting revenue from the 32oz soda fine/law. :)

Getting fatter on the public dole.  Just like many congresscritters.

 JK>> This makes no sense as far as being related to cost of insurance.. First
 JK>> you're saying that premiums are being doubled (i.e. the cost will be
 JK>> passed on to the insured).. Then you're saying that hosp. staff is being
 JK>> cut supposedly because the hospital can afford to pay their employees
 JK>> wages.. Come on :( :(

MH>Hospitals in Maryland are self-insured.  When an employee goes to
MH>the doctor, hospital, etc, the payment comes directly out of the
MH>hospital's budget.  Due to the massive increases in healthcare
MH>costs, they had to not only cut the budget for medical payments
MH>for employees, but they also laid-off around 5% of the staff (500
MH>people) because the state rembersement has been at 1% for the past
MH>4 years in a row - not keeping up with inflation and the cost of
MH>doing business.

The rising cost of health care is not rising quite as fast as it
used to, but it is still rising much faster than the rate of inflation.
Health insurance companies were losing customers because customers
could no longer afford to pay the premiums.  And them Obama came to
their rescue by subsidizing health care through the ACA.

MH>Hospitals are also not for profit.  We operate typically in a 2-5%
MH>margin.  Any profits from that margin go back into the organization.
MH>That is very lean compared to companies on the stock market.

Hospitals may not be for profit, but the folks who run them most
certainly are.  Especially in today's world, where doctors own the
hospitals.

What many folks fail to realize is that Obamacare is a federal
program that is administered by the states, providing Americans
access to affordable health care insurance from PRIVATE health
insurance companies.

Private, not public.  Private means for profit.  In order for
those private health insurance companies to make the profits they
want, those private health care companies have to deny coverage
for some or many people or groups of people.  Or severely restrict
the coverage they do provide to people.

Government provides, business denies.  Obamacare has no public option
provision.  This subsidized health insurance program is for the benefit
of private health insurance companies.  And you know what that means.

MH>The entire dynamic for how hospitals and providers is changing to
MH>a "location based system", where the larger area you are in, the
MH>more reimbursement potential.  Hospitals are stock piling money they
MH>have to try and get more territory based on this new system.

Doctors, health insurance companies, and big pharma have figured out
the money game.  Now if only the lawyers could figure out a way to get
the same kind of subsidized support ...

--Lee

--- MesNews/1.06.00.00-gb
 * Origin: news://felten.yi.org (2:203/2)