Skriven 2013-10-25 16:10:08 av Gary Perkins (1:393/31.1)
Ärende: Texas Medicaid
======================
Since we're on the subject of health benefits, I thought I'd share my recent
experience recertifying for Medicaid.

I'd been receiving varying levels of assistance ever since my wife left me and
our kids.  At first, I tried working, but couldn't find reliable sitters for
the kids, and eventually I had to just sit it out until they both started
school.  Even then it was tough.  Eventually I got a job offer, but I still had
the problem of no daycare.  Finally, I was able to literally BEG someone at the
Workforce Center for help on daycare, and they took ownership of my problem and
called around...she located some extra funds in a general account that could
pay for one month of care, and the childcare people agreed that if I still had
the job after the initial month, they would jump me ahead of the list.

After almost a year, I managed to land a promotion (kind of by default -- no
one else was capable, and they didn't want to hire outside).  Eventually I was
almost completely off of government help, aside from local housing, which I
paid half the contract rent.  And then, I get fired.

Now, before, I was receiving SNAP and TANF level medicaid.  The only big
difference between now and then is my car note: while I was employed, I was
doing so much driving compared to before that I started having problems.  It
was an old 1992 Lincoln Mark VII.  So, I traded that one for a 2003 Hyundai
Tiburon, which turned out to be a complete lemon...the fuel system was
completely shot, even needed a new tank.  I traded that one in to a real
dealership (tee hee hee... managed to hide the fuel problems!) and got me a
2008 Chevy Cobolt.  I had to get a pretty large loan for this, but being in
management, I *had* to have a reliable vehicle for meetings, deposits, any sort
of emergency run for parts or whatever.

So, after I lose my job, I restart my benefits.  When I go to recertify a few
months later, I run into a snag.  My mom had started paying my car note when it
was a few months behind.  Added to that, I was receiving checks from the
housing authority for utility assistance, and my child support of $150.

Here's the rundown: My utility assistance was $102, which during the summer
doesn't even always cover electricity costs.  My car note runs about $250.  I
give all of the child support back to my exwife, since we each have one child
with us; the attorney general's office *still* hasn't settled that matter.

The law and the policies listed in HHSC's own books says government utility
assistance should not be counted, and they can discount $75 of child support
(even though it's all going back to her).  My research shows theres a rule in
the law that money received that is used to honor contracts should not be
counted...specifically: Title 1, Part 15, Rule 366.703, which provides
definitions, section 18 which defines Resources, part A: "Cash from income that
is not obligated in the month of receipt."  "Obligated" does not seem to be
defined, but after double checking the accepted legal definition of it, that
sentence seems to me to say that if I receive cash, and I have contracts that
need to be paid, and I use it in that month to pay my contract obligations
(such as a car loan), then it should not be counted as cash income.

In the end, they counted everything as income.  I called to ask for a hearing,
and instead they argued with me on the phone about everything.  I never did get
my hearing.

I'm not that desperate for insurance, even though my health isn't as good as it
should be.  I got fairly upset about my treatment...I've already been through
this once before just to get the SNAP benefits.  I'm tired of it, and I've got
other things to focus on (such as getting a job)!!  I decided to just write a
letter explaining everything and send it to the ombudsman and CC to my
representative and senator.

I understand that in some US states it's easier to get medical assistance, but
in Texas you have to fall in some sort of group, such as Medically Needy,
Pregnant Woman, some time frame after having a newborn, or on federal
disability.  Otherwise you have to have TANF level resources, which is well
under $300 a month (apparently, in my case, $166 after deductions).  All I know
is, I start the month with nothing, I end with nothing.  Other than my shelter
expenses, and work (job search) expenses, which are both deductable, the only
other thing I do is buy tobacco.  I buy cheap bags of tobacco and roll my
own...so that works out to about $40 a month, max.

They can get rid of the entire program for all I care.  I'm very libertarian
like that -- it'd be good for the nation, save a lot of money...could prolly
even lower taxes.  But if they're gonna offer a program, I'm eligible, and I
have a use for it, then I'll go ahead and take it for the benefit of my
family...  but damn it, don't tell my I don't qualify when I'm staring at the
policies and laws on my own computer screen.  And if I call to assert my legal
right to a hearing, don't ignore me.  The entire situation just pisses me off.

--- GoldED-NSF/LNX 1.1.5-b20131010
 * Origin: Crazy Station (1:393/31.1)