Skriven 2014-12-18 19:22:00 av Bill McGarrity (12378.2fidonews)
  Kommentar till text 20187 av TIM RICHARDSON (1:123/140)
Ärende: Re: Dogs
================
-=> On 12-18-14 11:38, TIM RICHARDSON wrote to BILL MCGARRITY <=-

 TR> In all states. There is a federal 10 day waiting period. California, to
 TR> show how modern' and front-running they are, imposed a 15 day waiting
 TR> period.

 JD>Too many items I have read that say otherwise.

 BM>As of June, 2013 my research ( http://tinyurl.com/bh8wraq ) stated:

 BM>There is no federal waiting period.  As described below, federal law
 BM>allows a dealer to deliver a firearm to a purchaser as soon as a
 BM>background check (NICS) is completed, or after three business days even if
 BM>a background check has not been completed. Each year, over 3,000
 BM>ineligible persons receive firearms through this default provision.

 BM>Certain states have implmented longer period even after the NICS check.

 TR> On November third, 1993, the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act was
 TR> enacted, which amended the 1968 Gun Control Act of 1968 (which was the
 TR> knee jerk reaction to the assassination of John Kennedy).

 TR> It imposed a 5 day waiting period on handgun purchases, subjecting the
 TR> buyer to a background check.

FYI... **Under the Act, states are exempt from the five-day waiting period if
their laws require law enforcement officials to conduct records checks to
verify that prospective handgun purchasers are eligible to possess handguns.
[18 U.S.C. o922(s)(1)(C)(ii)] When President Clinton signed the Act into law in
1993, 18 states and D.C. were automatically "Brady-exempt.".

 TR> It mandated that, within five years of the effective date of the act,
 TR> such checks would be instantaneous (which in California they are. Right
 TR> on day of purchase, a dealer knows if you are eligible to own a firearm
 TR> in a matter of minutes, even before they take your money) through a
 TR> national criminal background check.

 TR> News flash: This would in no way have prevented the Sandy Hook
 TR> shooting!

Did I not agree with you that you've TOTALLY removed any of my references to?
Typical.

 TR> You can't always believe what you read in the media from here.

 TR> The `background check' was mainly already in place in Anza's state, his
 TR> mother purchased the weapons he used in his shooting spree, and she was
 TR> in violation of almost all the state's laws that pertained to keeping
 TR> firearms from the hands of the mentally ill.

 TR> She `knew' he was a dangerous mental case and failed to secure her
 TR> weapons in a way that made them in-accessable to him.

 TR> She took him on regular target shooting outings.

 BM>And if she was alive I'm sure she would have paid dearly for her total
 BM>disregard.

 TR> Whatever. The point being nothing in Connecticut's laws OR federal laws
 TR> would have made any difference. Nothing.

 JD>A background check is not required in all states, in a lot of those where
 JD>it is required, it gets discarded after purchase, and most cases, from
 BM>what JD>I have read, background checks are done on the fly, so to speak.

 TR> Since 1998 the FBI has had the NICS in place. A firearms dealer inputs
 TR> a person's purchase info into his computer's NICS software, and just
 TR> like a cop out on a beat or in their station, recieves within a few
 TR> minutes the information of whether or not a person is barred from
 TR> firearm ownership or purchase.

 TR> Back many years ago you could walk into a gun store in most states,
 TR> with a few exceptions, and buy a handgun without even giving your name.
 TR> You couldn't do that in New York. They made you jump through a lot of
 TR> hoops to buy a handgun, so the handguns I had I bought out of state.
 TR> One in West Virginia, and another in Arizona. A few I bought on the
 TR> black market in New York, but you had to be careful of that as
 TR> sometimes it was a setup by the local cops, or the weapon had been used
 TR> in a crime and someone was just getting rid of it.

 BM>So you've just admitted you taken part in a federal felont offence?
 BM>nteresting.

 TR> I, along with many other *New Yorkers* believed the Sullivan Law of New
 TR> York, making it so difficult to purchase a handgun you almost needn't
 TR> bother, was and IS a violation of the 2nd Amendment to the U.S.
 TR> Constitution.

 TR> We protested that restriction as being un-Constitutional, and that is
 TR> our right under that Constitution.

So if I believe murder is violation of my 1st Amendment rights I can just blow
it off? You have issues...

 TR> And we `owned' and `possessed' handguns of all sorts for personal and
 TR> home protection.

 TR> By the way....reference Bernard Goetz.

 TR> After I got out of the Army in the late 1960's, one of the main reasons
 TR> that influenced my decision to remain out here in the west was the ease
 TR> with which you could purchase a handgun, without jumping through a
 TR> bunch of politician- invented hoops to do so.

 TR> Timothy Sullivan, by the way, was a corrupt Tammany Hall politician
 TR> who's basic intent with his `law' was to insure that only *his* body
 TR> guards were armed and nobody else.

Smart Irishman...

 TR> I strongly suspect that, if the Sullivan Law were ever to be taken up
 TR> through the federal court system to the Supremes for a thorough
 TR> `wringin out'...it would get tossed. Various side issues of it have
 TR> been contested over the years, but its complete resolution has never
 TR> been realized to my knowledge.

Possible.. why haven't you followed up on it?  Sounds like something right up
your alley.

[...]
I really think you like to hear yourself ramble on about nothing... we don't
care.

[...]

 TR> So what? We have a sheriff in this county who made people jump through
 TR> so many hoops to get a concealed carry permit they finally had to take
 TR> him to court to get the right back!

 TR> He made an applicant `state a reason' for wanting a CCP. And if he
 TR> didn't like the reason (which was most of the time) you didn't get one.

 TR> So your little tirade was for nothing (as usual).

 BM>His concern is a tirade? Some would say your lack of concern is
 BM>irresponsible.... YMMV

 TR> Holy *shoe on the other foot*, Batman!

 TR> Funny....whenever I'm posting on *global warming* morphed into *climate
 TR> change, or `sodomites', none of you, including you yourself, hesitated
 TR> to put whatever I posted on it down to `a tirade'....or `a rant'!

Both...

 BM>The rest of your statements are 100% accurate with regard to the shooting.

 BM>The mother's lack of action concerning her son's issues causth...ed that
 BM>tragady.  I do commend you on your dilligence in the proper storage of
 BM>your firearms.  I own two and when I have visitors, they ALWAYS remain
 BM>locked in my safe.

 TR> I have two accessable to me at all times. I live alone in a remote
 TR> area, and a light-weight over-under 12 guage, and a .44 revolver are
 TR> never far from hand.

 TR> I have a large gun safe with other firearms, but always have those two
 TR> near at hand. I don't live that far from the border, and Border Patrol
 TR> activity is common in this area.

 BM>I am the only one who knows the combination so when the
 BM>day comes I "buy the farm", guess they'll be burying the safe with me. The
 BM>fact remains, more and more, everyday it seems, "people" reach their
 BM>breaking point and off they go.  That being said, two possible scenarios.
 BM>Either arm everyone and their Mother or disarm everyone. Neither side of
 BM>the issue want to find out if either solution will work.

 TR> Some of the advantages of New York's strictness on guns is...the
 TR> populace is mainly lightly armed. The real heavy arms are in the hands
 TR> of `authorities', not private citizens. Thats an im-balance of power
 TR> the Founding Fathers didn't intend.

And your proof of that is?

 TR> If a real civil unrest broke out into open civil war between ethnic
 TR> groups (and don't think that can't happen), much of the `law-abiding'
 TR> of the population would probably be outgunned.

OK.. out comes the soap box....

[...]

More "stuff" that has nothing to do with anything....

[...]

 TR> By the way....when someone tries to hyjack your vehicle, or waves a
 TR> knife in your face and demands your wallet...Sarah Brady is nowhere to
 TR> be found! You're on your own!

I drive an F-350 4x4... they want to stand in front of my truck demanding I
give it to them... I hope they enjoy getting an upclose view of its
undercarriage.

Tim, I'll never understand how you take a 10 line reply, even when I agree with
you re: Connecticut and turn it into a novel of your unwanted history no one
cares about... well.. maybe one person.

Enjoy

Bill

Telnet: tequilamockingbirdonline.net
Web: bbs.tequilamockingbirdonline.net
FTP: ftp.tequilamockingbirdonline.net:2121
IRC: irc.tequilamockingbirdonline.net Ports: 6661-6670 SSL: +6697
Radio: radio.tequilamockingbirdonline.net:8010/live

... Look Twice... Save a Life!!  Motorcycles are Everywhere!!!
=== MultiMail/Win32 v0.50
--- SBBSecho 2.27-Win32
 * Origin: TequilaMockingbird Online - Toms River, NJ (1:266/404)