Skriven 2015-07-26 19:20:19 av Lee Lofaso (2:203/2)
Ärende: The Fix
===============
Hello Everybody,

It took me a while to find it.  The smoking gun, that is.
I mean, everybody already knew it was a done deal.  Had been
for years.  But nobody seems to have been able to figure out
how she did it.  Until now, that is.

Yes, my friends.  I have found it.  I have really found it.
Had to dig for it.  But buried in that dogpile, there it was.
All covered with doggie poo, but it was there.  Certainly
smelled like it, too.

Hard to imagine cyber-pooh smelling that bad.  But it does.
Take a look and see, or smell, for yourself -

                   -=-=-=-=-=-=-

from The Fidonews, Volume 18 Number 50, 10 Dec 2001 -

An end to RC elections throughout zone one?
                        Carl Austin Bennett 1:249/116

    It appears that our illustrious ZC1 has been tampering with the
    content of regional nodelist segments, removing both 1:12/0
    (Lesley-Dee Dylan) and 1:12/379 (Dale Ross). The name which appears in
    the /0 position is neither that of the elected RC nor the deputy RC.

    So what does this mean to sysops in the other nine regions of zone
    one, or elsewhere in Fidonet?

    If your region has a policy where your NC's elect an RC, kiss it
    goodbye. If your region has a policy where your sysops elect an RC,
    kiss it goodbye too. Janis has just unilaterally set this network back
    twelve years, way back to the distant 1200-bits-per-second days before
    RC's were selected democratically by various regions which they
    represent.

    A dangerous precedent has been established.

    If Z1 reverts to a 1989-style "ZC appoints RC's who appoint the ZC"
    system there is nothing to stop Janis from removing your RC's or even
    from removing all ten Z1 RC's and replacing them with her own
    supporters.

    This precedent also sends a clear but unfortunate message to the other
    zones. At this point, all checks and balances in the system are
    removed.

    You have a regional policy (such as those in regions like R13 and R18)
    intended to guarantee your net's right to go vote? Expect it to be
    ignored in much the same way that R12's current election policy is
    being ignored.

    Who, then, does this affect? Everyone. The vast majority of regions
    have some procedure in place to elect co-ordinators. This affects them
    all.

    That Janis and Lesley-Dee hold politically opposite opinions is beside
    the point. This does not justify tampering with the nodelist in this
    way.

    Lesley-Dee was elected to represent her region, not to represent one
    ZC. She was elected by a little more than a 2:1 majority of sysops
    in-region. She answers to the region which elected her, period.

    As for Janis' claim that Lesley-Dee should not have given an RIN to
    Dale Ross? A red herring. Lesley-Dee didn't nodelist Dale, I did.

    I listed Dale to address concerns expressed by members of the region
    about the political "go list yourself elsewhere" sentiments being
    directed at him.
    FIDONEWS 18-50               Page 6                   10 Dec 2001

    I have since stepped down, but as we say in MOOSECHAT, the buck stops
    here.

    So what should be done? If Janis was put in the ZC position by six
    regions, then six regional co-ordinators would be able to overrule her
    or even force the election of a new ZC should the need arise. There
    are more than six regions in zone one with elected co-ordinators in
    some form; these regions all have a direct interest in seeing this
    dangerous precedent reversed in order to keep their own elected RC's.

    However, for such an approach to be effective, other regions need to
    speak out now. Waiting until more of the RC's (or even all of them)
    have been removed and replaced with Janis' hand-picked appointees will
    only make the problems much worse.

    If you are a sysop elsewhere in zone one, contact your RC and ask for
    their intervention. If you are an RC still in place elsewhere in zone
    one, contact your fellow RC's. It only takes six regions to address
    this issue. The worst thing that you can do is to sit and do nothing.

Sorry about the formatting.  Didn't bother to wipe off any
cyber-pooh.  As such, you'll have to read it at your own peril ...

--Lee

--- MesNews/1.08.05.00-gb
 * Origin: news://felten.yi.org (2:203/2)