Möte HOLYSMOKE, 6791 texter
Skriven 2006-06-24 16:22:00 av ROSS SAUER (1:123/140)
Ärende: Endtimes?
=================
50 years ago, Isaac Asimov wrote and essay about the "Cult Of
Ignorance," how popular media celebrated those who rejected
intellectualism.

In the case of these dorks, it's the "Cult Of Stupidity."

'End times' religious groups want apocalypse sooner than later, and
they're relying on high tech -- and red heifers -- to hasten its
arrival.

By Louis Sahagun

Times Staff Writer

June 22, 2006

For thousands of years, prophets have predicted the end of the world.
Today, various religious groups, using the latest technology, are trying
to hasten it.

Their endgame is to speed the promised arrival of a messiah.

For some Christians this means laying the groundwork for Armageddon.

With that goal in mind, mega-church pastors recently met in Inglewood to
polish strategies for using global communications and aircraft to
transport missionaries to fulfill the Great Commission: to make every
person on Earth aware of Jesus' message. Doing so, they believe, will
bring about the end, perhaps within two decades.

In Iran, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has a far different vision. As
mayor of Tehran in 2004, he spent millions on improvements to make the
city more welcoming for the return of a Muslim messiah known as the
Mahdi, according to a recent report by the American Foreign Policy
Center, a nonpartisan think tank.

To the majority of Shiites, the Mahdi was the last of the prophet
Muhammad's true heirs, his 12 righteous descendants chosen by God to
lead the faithful.

Ahmadinejad hopes to welcome the Mahdi to Tehran within two years.

Conversely, some Jewish groups in Jerusalem hope to clear the path for
their own messiah by rebuilding a temple on a site now occupied by one
of Islam's holiest shrines.

Artisans have re-created priestly robes of white linen, gem-studded
breastplates, silver trumpets and solid-gold menorahs to be used in the
Holy Temple, along with two 6½-ton marble cornerstones for the
building's foundation.

Then there is Clyde Lott, a Mississippi revivalist preacher and cattle
rancher. He is trying to raise a unique herd of red heifers to satisfy
an obscure injunction in the Book of Numbers: the sacrifice of a blemish-
free red heifer for purification rituals needed to pave the way for the
messiah.

So far, only one of his cows has been verified by rabbis as worthy,
meaning they failed to turn up even three white or black hairs on the
animal's body.

Linking these efforts is a belief that modern technologies and global
communications have made it possible to induce completion of God's plan
within this generation.

Though there are myriad interpretations of how it will play out, the
basic Christian apocalyptic countdown, as described by the Book of
Revelation in the New Testament, is as follows:

Jews return to Israel after 2,000 years, the Holy Temple is rebuilt,
billions of people perish during seven years of natural disasters and
plagues, the antichrist arises and rules the world, the battle of
Armageddon erupts in the vicinity of Israel, Jesus returns to defeat
Satan's armies and preside over Judgment Day.

Generations of Christians have hoped for the Second Coming of Jesus,
said UCLA historian Eugen Weber, author of the 1999 book "Apocalypses:
Prophecies, Cults and Millennial Beliefs Through the Ages."

"And it's always been an ultimately bloody hope, a slaughterhouse hope,"
he added with a sigh. "What we have now in this global age is a vaster
and bloodier-than-ever Wagnerian version. But, then, we are a very
imaginative race."

Apocalyptic movements are nothing new; even Christopher Columbus hoped
to assist in the Great Commission by evangelizing New World inhabitants.

Some religious scholars saw apocalyptic fever rise as the year 2000
approached, and they expected it to subside after the millennium arrived
without a hitch.

It didn't. According to various polls, an estimated 40% of Americans
believe that a sequence of events presaging the end times is already
underway. Among the believers are pastors of some of the largest
evangelical churches in America, who converged at Faith Central Bible
Church in Inglewood in February to finalize plans to start 5 million new
churches worldwide in 10 years.

"Jesus Christ commissioned his disciples to go to the ends of the Earth
and tell everyone how they could achieve eternal life," said James
Davis, president of the Global Pastors Network's "Billion Souls
Initiative," one of an estimated 2,000 initiatives worldwide designed to
boost the Christian population.

"As we advance around the world," Davis said, "we'll be shortening the
time needed to fulfill that Great Commission. Then, the Bible says, the
end will come."

An opposing vision, invoked by Ahmadinejad in an address before the
United Nations last year, suggests that the Imam Mahdi, a 9th century
figure, will soon emerge from a well to conquer the world and convert
everyone to Islam.

"O mighty Lord," he said, "I pray to you to hasten the emergence of your
last repository, the promised one, that perfect and pure human being,
the one that will fill this world with justice and peace."

At the appropriate time, according to Shiite tradition, the Mahdi will
reappear and, along with Jesus, lead Muslims in a struggle to rid the
world of corruption and establish justice.

For Christians, the future of Israel is the key to any end-times
scenario, and various groups are reaching out to Jews, or proselytizing
among them, to advance the Second Coming.

A growing number of fundamentalist Christians in mostly Southern states
are adopting Jewish religious practices to align themselves with
prophecies saying that Gentiles will stand as one with Jews when the end
is near.

Evangelist John C. Hagee of the 19,000-member Cornerstone Church in San
Antonio has helped 12,000 Russian Jews move to Israel, and donated
several million dollars to Israeli hospitals and orphanages.

"We are the generation that will probably see the rapture of the
church," Hagee said, referring to a moment in advance of Jesus' return
when the world's true believers will be airlifted into heaven.

"In Christian theology, the first thing that happens when Christ returns
to Earth is the judgment of nations," said Hagee, who wears a Jewish
prayer shawl when he ministers. "It will have one criterion: How did you
treat the Jewish people? Anyone who understands that will want to be on
the right side of that question. Those who are anti-Semitic will go to
eternal damnation."

On July 18, Hagee plans to lead a contingent of high-profile evangelists
to Washington to make their concerns about Israel's security known to
congressional leaders. More than 1,200 evangelists are expected for the
gathering.

"Twenty-five years ago, I called a meeting of evangelists to discuss
such an effort, and the conversation didn't last an hour," he said.
"This time, I called and they all came and stayed. And when the meeting
was over, they all agreed to speak up for Israel."

Underlining the sense of urgency is a belief that the end-times clock
started ticking May 15, 1948, when the United Nations formally
recognized Israel.

"I'll never forget that night," Hagee said. "I was 8 years old at the
time and in the kitchen with my father listening to the news about
Israel's rebirth on the radio. He said, 'Son, this is the most important
day in the 20th century.' "

Hagee's message is carried on 160 television stations and 50 radio
stations and can be seen in Africa, Europe, Australia, New Zealand and
most Third World nations.

By contrast, Bill McCartney, a former University of Colorado football
coach and co-founder of the evangelical Promise Keepers movement for
men, which became huge in the 1990s, has had a devil of a time getting
his own apocalyptic campaign off the ground.

It's called The Road to Jerusalem, and its mission is to convert Jews to
Christianity, while there is still time.

"Our whole purpose is to hasten the end times," he said. "The Bible says
Jews will be brought to jealousy when they see Christians and Jewish
believers together as one, they'll want to be a part of that. That's
going to signal Jesus' return."

Jews and others who don't accept Jesus, he added matter-of-factly, "are
toast."

McCartney, who only a decade ago sermonized to stadium-size crowds of
Promise Keepers, said finding people to back his sputtering cause has
been "like plowing cement."

Given end-times scenarios saying that non-believers will die before
Jesus returns, and that the antichrist will rule from Jerusalem's
rebuilt Holy Temple, Jews have mixed feelings about the outpouring of
support Israel has been getting from evangelical organizations.

"I truly believe John Hagee is at once a daring, beautiful person, and
quite dangerous," said Orthodox Rabbi Brad Hirschfield, vice president
of the National Jewish Center for Learning and Leadership in New York.

"I sincerely recognize him as a hero for bringing planeloads of people
to Israel at a time when people there were getting blown up by the
busloads," Hirschfield said. "But he also believes that the only path to
the father is through Jesus. That leaves me out."

Meanwhile, in what has become a spectacular annual routine, Jews, hoping
to rebuild the Holy Temple destroyed by the Romans in AD 70, attempt to
haul the 6 1/2 -ton cornerstones by truck up to the Temple Mount, the
site now occupied by the Dome of the Rock shrine. Each year, they are
turned back by police.

Among those turned away is Gershon Solomon, spokesman for Jerusalem's
Temple Institute. When the temple is built, he said, "Islam is over."

"I'm grateful for all the wonderful Christian angels wanting to help
us," Solomon added, acknowledging the political support from "Christians
who are now Israel's best lobbyists in the United States."

However, when asked to comment on the fate of non-Christians upon the
Second Coming of Jesus, he said, "That's a very embarrassing question.
What can I tell you? That's a very terrible Christian idea.

"What kind of religion is it that expects another religion will be
destroyed?"

But are all of these efforts to hasten the end of the world a bit like,
well, playing God?

Some Christians, such as Roman Catholics and some Protestant
denominations, believe in the Second Coming but don't try to advance it.
It's important to be ready for the Second Coming, they say, though its
timetable cannot be manipulated.

Hirschfield said he prays every day for the coming of the Jewish
messiah, but he too believes that God can't be hurried.

"For me," he said, "the messiah is like the mechanical bunny at a
racetrack: It always stays a little ahead of the runners but keeps the
pace toward a redeemed world.

"Trouble is, there are many people who want to bring a messiah who looks
just like them. For me, that kind of messianism is spiritual
narcissism."

But some Christian leaders say they aren't playing God; they're just
carrying out his will.

Ted Haggard, president of the National Assn. of Evangelicals, says the
commitment to fulfilling the Great Commission has naturally intensified
along with the technological advances God provided to carry out his
plans.

Over in Mississippi, Lott believes that he is doing God's work, and that
is why he wants to raise a few head of red heifers for Jewish high
priests. Citing Scripture, Lott and others say a pure red heifer must be
sacrificed and burned and its ashes used in purification rituals to
allow Jews to rebuild the temple.

But Lott's plans have been sidetracked.

Facing a maze of red tape and testing involved in shipping animals
overseas, and rumors of threats from Arabs and Jews alike who say the
cows would only bring more trouble to the Middle East, he has given up
on plans to fly planeloads of cows to Israel. For now.

In the meantime, some local ranchers have expressed an interest in
raising their own red heifers for Israel, and fears of hoof-and-mouth
disease and blue tongue forced Lott to relocate his only verified red
heifer, a female born in 1993, to Nebraska.

Cloning is out of the question, he said, because the technique "is not
approved by the rabbinical council of Israel." Artificial insemination
has so far failed to produce another heifer certified by rabbis.

"Something deep in my heart says God wants me to be a blessing to
Israel," Lott said in a telephone interview. "But it's complicated.
We're just not ready to send any red heifers over there."

If not now, when?

"If there's a sovereign God with his hand in the affairs of men, it'll
happen, and it'll be a pivotal event," he said. "That time is soon. Very
soon."

Copyright 2006 Los Angeles Times

From Archae's Roost, Sheboygan, WI

þ CMPQwk 1.42 16554 þ
 * Origin: Try Our Web Based QWK: DOCSPLACE.ORG (1:123/140)