Möte LINUX, 22013 texter
Skriven 2006-11-09 15:53:00 av WAYNE CHIRNSIDE (1:123/140)
     Kommentar till en text av MAURICE KINAL
Ärende: Re: ttylinux
====================
OK Maurice.
I've changed plans once again.

Blue sky dream system is now a 2.53 GHz *64 bit* white box by MadTux.
At $208.00 U.S. with 512 Meg RAM (256 added) 13 Gig hard drive, 3 PCI and 1 AGP
is just too good to pass up.

Now to check out the vendor.
Warrantee at thirty days is pretty thin but in my experience it either smokes
early or stands up well, rarely failing in between those margins.
This will be down the road a bit yet not too far off.

Per Paul Rogers advice which finally penetrated and is starting
to make sense I intend to use one PC as a firewall.

If the woman next door still has the 486 I'll offer her 10 bucks for it if
it has a decent chipset, video card and a minimum of 32 Meg of RAM.

I'm spending a lot more time at the command line and liking it better all the
time.

I still need to figure out the proper syntax to invoke mplayer full screen
from the command line rather than the 1/2 screen I get now.

I _think_ it requires another video drive than the default.

I've already found the configuration file to set it as default once I
get the syntax.

I'm still using GUI browsers and likely always will however I am weaning myself
to viewing html from the command line using Links.

The GUI browsers are starting to become annoying due to ceratin behaviors.

Color me ticked off by the Windows like automatic Mozilla Browser update.
I figured "what the heck" and let Mozilla update from the net installer
rather than downloading and manually installing.

Huge Mistake :-(

It "updated" Mozilla so the latest version is invoked regardless of which I
select.
I'd intended to make ActiveX available on the earlier release exclusively
to download just a very few music MP3s from but a single site.

I guess I can fix that though.
Still, it's annoying.

Knowing VI supports color I need to see if I can make the quoted text
green when it sees the greater than sign.

Still in a bit of a rough patch here but am fighting to keep it together.

Next on the todo list  is a  cheat code sheet on VI shortcuts I used to know,
highlighting, find, find and replace, ect.

Now my inquiry should I move forward on my obtainable 64 bit system.
Do such completely 64 bit systems support legacy 32 bit software transparently?
( my stupid question of the day)

I'm thinking it would have to right?

 MK> It doesn't have to.

 JB> But it *does* require that the IDE drive bay, *not* be buried in a mire
 JB> of complexity. I can see the ease, if the patient is already opened -
 JB> hence my penchant for power tools.

 JB> workings now, and as I suspected, reverse engineering is not nearly
 JB> as time consuming there, as it is here.

 MK> No reverse engineering whatsoever.  I use the same utils as
 MK> I use for everything else.

 JB> Not in the logic department, but the physical one.

 JB> as the BIOS said nothing about "USB" in the boot order, but
 JB> obviously, it goes first all the time, regardless of what I want.

 MK> Strange but I have seen stuff like that before.  In the case of the
 MK> Intel  board (the 64-bit guy) I have the bios set to boot to usb
 MK> first only if there is something there and if there isn't
 MK> then the first HD it encounters, which could be a sata

 JB> See, if I have a 'drive' inserted without a bootable partition
 JB> available, it keeps looking for that, until a partition arrives to
 JB> satisfy that equation, or you remove the ones that do not. The board
 JB> does have three USB channels available, (along with some of the worst
 JB> documentation I have seen,) so I suspect at least one of those bridges
 JB> wouldn't intercept the call for an OS.

 MK> Gigabyte's bios where I could hit f12 on bootup and it

 JB> That could save LOTS of time. The <Del> - BIOS tweek - reboot Waltz can
 JB> be a slow, drawn out dance.

 JB> As all the big Dells here, have front-accessible SCSI hotswap drives,
 JB> your system could work for those too, by unmounting them, then
 JB> running something or another (I think I read somewhere.) to tell the
 JB> controller to let go of the device number.

 MK> Perhaps hotplug.  I'd have to see that but for the usb
 MK> interface all you have to do is unplug it (after umounting
 MK> of course).  Should work for you too.

 JB> I don't know the difference between "Plug" and "Swap". THe controllers
 JB> are HW RAID, "Passive Backplane Array" type systems, so I'm sure they
 JB> could burn my toast if I worked on 'em enough. The software to run the
 JB> pig, is run on an M$ product, and meant to occupy hda1, so I toasted it
 JB> after my first attempt at lilo installation proved fruitless.

 MK>> anything is  possible with the right kernel.  Everything else can be
 MK>> (u)mounted later and thus a vastly flexible and dynamic
 MK>> system can be tweaked on the fly with no need for reboots.

 JB> ... Only if bootable to USB. I only have the newest project that will
 JB> do that here, AFAICT.

 MK> Doesn't matter but that is a nice feature for sure.  It

 JB> Again, back to the physical aspects. If you can touch the IDE cable,
 JB> and have a USB->IDE interface, *and* if you use *ATA drives... My
 JB> efforts usually go into, too unusual territory for that to prove
 JB> economical. Now, I doubt the next sixty machines to race through here,
 JB> are going to be any where *near* as quirky as the last six, but time
 JB> will tell. You know I'll do my damdest to make sure they are stranger
 JB> yet. <G>

> [...]

--- MultiMail/Linux v0.47
 * Origin: Try Our Web Based QWK: DOCSPLACE.ORG (1:123/140)