Möte OS2, 4786 texter
Skriven 2009-02-01 07:27:32 av Mike Luther (1:117/3001.0)
   Kommentar till text 1122 av Holger Granholm (2:20/228)
Ärende: Re: OS/2
================
Aha! More help, I hope!

 HG> There are at least a couple of reasons. First, I never ignited to the
 HG> JFS file system. Second, I want to have my PC-DOS/Desqview system
 HG> available as a spare operating system in my BBS machine. JFS would
 HG> probably not work with a FAT file system which DOS requires.

It is true that the JFS file system is 'installed' on the MCP2 boxes here. But
there are no JFS formated drives in use anywhere in my operations at this
point.  You do not have to use it.  If there are no drives that use it though
the driver is there and is called out in the CONFIG.SYS that makes no
difference in the system at all.

However, as I type this on a Warp 4 FP17 system box, there is no JFS.IFS in the
CONFIG.SYS for this system, for example, at all.  I understand what you are
saying about a separate PC-DOS/Desqview system. That is how I morphed into OS/2
all the years ago.  However, the DOS operating system support that OS/2
operates, which *DOES* work absolutely well with HPFS partitions, at least to
me is far superior to anything I ever had with DOS of any kind and Desqview.
Further, you can actually work with OS/2 and the FAT file drive operations.
But to my exeprience, that is not needed, nor a good choice.  The only thing
about DOS operations is that the partition size for realistic DOS use still
have to be no more than 2GB in size.  There are tools to fudge this. But in
reality, it is far more reliable to honor the 2GB size.  Keeping with this
thought, using a 2GB master boot partition max, then an adjacent net 2GB max
partition which has a focus on applications such as Seamonkey, or Lotus
SmartSuite for OS/2, or Open Office, for example,seems to make for more sense.

 HG> Yes, I have the XR_D021.ZIP and XR_D022.2DK Device driver FixPaks.
 HG> I also have the EXPARTW.TXT describing how to update the two
 HG> installation diskettes but also stating at the end that requirements
 HG> were that your harddisk(s) were larger than 7.8 Gb and already had FP15
 HG> installed. My (SCSI) boot disks are 1 Gb but will be updated to 2 Gb.

The harddisk(s) do not have to be larger than 7.8GB as far as I know. Up until
MCP2 came along, nothing I ever had for a SCSI drive or IDE drive was ever
larger than 6GB.  I always carved them up into three 2GB partitions, all HPFS
format, with Warp 4 for exactly the reasons I stated above.  On my BBS also, I
think, are the floppy diskette images for the update installation diskettes
which were public downloads from IBM as well.  The MCP2 systems are both 6GB
size disks and larger.  I've never even had any trouble putting MCP2 even on
less tan 7.8GB disks. The improved device drivers make that possible, but don't
require it. The fact that the larger drives are supported doesn't mean you must
have one for the installation.

 HG> What I don't have are the WARPIU disks/files that you mentioned in a
 HG> message 2008.

They are available as noted.  They were public downloads on the IBM site as
noted.

 HG> This is where I'm handicapped with only a DUN contact to my ISP.
 HG> Please tell me the size of the files so that I can decide if I can pick
 HG> up those updates/files.

See my FidoNet NetMail message to you.  Please!

 HG> What I really seem to need are modified install diskettes before the
 HG> CD starts up. I tried to use the originals on a machine with an AMD
 HG> K6-III 500 MHz machine with 192 Mb RAM but it failed at the diskette 2
 HG> stage, maybe because I had forgotten the max 64 Mb RAM rule.

I agree!

 HG> Before continuing the MoBo failed with blown electrolytic(s). I will now
 HG> exchange all 1000 and 1500uF 6.3V units to 10V ditto. It is important to
 HG> me that I have at least 2 ISA slots for the modems since to my knowledge
 HG> there are no OS/2 drivers for V90/K56Flex PCI modems and I already have
 HG> such modems.

Some PCI modems will work with OS/2 - either Warp 4 or MCP2.  I have them in I
three boxes here and in at least six at sites I support elsewhere.  I'll have
to go back and research what this takes.  IIRC it doesn't take a driver as such
for the ones I use.  As well, at least with MCP2, there are USB modems which
work with OS/2 and with my R40 and on T42 ThinkPad units, the plug-in modems on
the left side are working just fine!  If you need brand info, let us know.  I
have never tried to use USB of any kind on Warp 4.

 HG> Yes certainly but this old MoBo runs applications (Netscape for one)
 HG> faster with 16 Mb than with 32 Mb because of the way OS/2 counts the
 HG> memory. I did increase the cache RAM from one to two 256 kb banks with
 HG> positive results.

That is one of the reasons for moving forward to Fix Pack 15 and the upward
OS/2 Kernel which that brings.  Fixes things like that as far as I have
experienced.  The whole fix and shift to memory models which take care of the
above were the cause of a lot of misery that went on between Fix Pack 12 and
Fix Pack 15 which is very stable.  But still better if expanded to the final
Fix Pack 17.

 HG> Thank you Mike for the offer and the detailed letter. You do now know
 HG> the situation here.

Please respond to the NetMail!

 HG> BTW, my work machine that also runs Warp4 FP12 but with the HPFS file
 HG> system on bothe the boot and application partitions.

Which should give you a good place to research the DOS-VDM operations,together
with the DOS Session Setting options for DOS.  In them are a TREASURE of
options as to how OS/2 handles DOS system interface for programs which, for
example, had upper memory requirements and so on. These session settings can
hugely help you.  Further, every DOS application can have even its own complete
unique AUTOEXEC.BAT type setup.  What you do is to run the application, such as
your DOS BBS system, from a HPFS partition, with a custom BBSEXEC.BAT file for
it! In that custom DOS-VDM session batch file, you can custom create the entire
envelope for your operation, far better than and native DOS operation ever did
that, plus the big part of this!  If you use the custom BBSRUN.BAT file to do
this, as well as the BBSEXEC.BAT file for the entire chain of things, you can
use a complete DOS-VDM Session Setting profile for EVERY different major suite
of DOS applications you run of MANY on the same OS/2 system!

Of critical importance here is to also use the time slice available non-IBM
utilities such as TAME for OS/2 to split up CPU time slices between your
DOS-VDM operations and OS/2 operations.  That is one thing IBM never did really
do that others have fixed for us.

Perfect example.  When the FidoNet DOS operation HUBmaster for 1:117/100 here
bailed out, he actually left the Net 117/100 HUB on my front porch in the
middle of the night!  I jammed the hard drive into my OS/2 Warp 4 box as a
saddle drive.  I created the mirror image of all the DOS partitions he had on
it, then CLONED them all into the OS/2 Warp 4 box. At that point, I simply set
up to start his entire system as DOS operations on the OS/2 box using a batch
file called BBSEXE.BAT for it.

Guess what?  It is running to this day as the Net 117/100 HUB right now as I
type this in OS/2 on the same box!  I'm running FEBBS, ALLFIX, IM,GMD, and the
old MAX DOS system for the Net 117/100 HUB together with 117/3001 both as
separate POTS systems and also VModem setups with Bink/MAX/SQUISH on the same
relay rack mission critical Integrand Research Pig Iron linear power supply
industrial case with Modular Industrial System SMB operations. That was before
only running the 1:117/3001 operations in OS/2 Warp 4 complete!  100,000 hour
MTBF stuff complete .. and all the DOS-VDM stuff works perfectly.

All I did was jam the other application onto a massively expanded other clone
of the other system hard drive partitions on it!

On a 6GB hard drive with NINE (9) actual hard drive partitions, all HPFS
format, tiny as they might be, the actual clones of the entire 117/100 box that
was on the front porch step that morning!

 HG> Then I have aquired a Thinkpad T23 type 2647 that I would like to
 HG> install Warp4 on but I don't know if the built-in modem is a Winmodem.
 HG> It does have ZoneAlarm and AntiVir installed but I'm still scared by
 HG> what can happen on the net. OS/2 seems to be safe.

If it is a Winmodem, I don't think it will work.  My R40 has such in it,but it
isn't used at all.  As noted, I jam a Diamond plug-in unit on the left side.
It works perfectly with MCP2 latest on it.

 HG> 73 de Sam, OH0NC

Believe me, I respect that 73 Sam.  Still have my original call W5WQN from
1952, minus the "N" of course!  Waited deliberately to file for DXCC until I
had the goal of 300 confirmed on only 40CW, as far as I know the only time that
has ever been done in history.  Now at 319 confirmed on 40CW my goal is Honor
Roll on 40CW only - before I die!

If we aren't, sigh, on the start of another Maunder Minimum perhaps I will make
it.

73

--> Sleep well; OS/2's still awake! ;)

Mike @ 1:117/3001

--- Maximus/2 3.01
 * Origin: Ziplog Public Port (1:117/3001)