Möte OS2, 4786 texter
Skriven 2007-04-28 21:02:12 av Mike Luther (1:117/3001.0)
    Kommentar till text 669 av Andrew Leary (1:320/119)
Ärende: OS2 install
===================
I think you'll find this correct:

 AL> OS/2 Warp 4 will not install if the system memory is
 AL> greater than 512MB.  The fix is to remove the extra
 AL> memory, install OS/2 Warp 4, apply FixPak 16 or
 AL> later, and then reinstall the extra memory.

However not the below:

 AL> FixPak 16 was never publicly released ..

As a matter of fact both Fix Pack 16 and Fix Pack 17 were publically released,
but you had to be a valid subscriber to the IBM software update workings to get
either of them.  As fact, if you are going to stay with Warp 4, you really do
need to upgrade to the FP17 level as well as all the PEER, TCPIP, LAN and
device driver updates to stabilize systems for much of the later grade hardware
stuff.  Yes, if your hardware, the TCPIP, MMPS and so on are compatible issues
for pre FP16 and FP17 venue stuff, the FP15 level that was widely available is
certainly stable, particularly if Y2K issues are not facing you, you don't use
OS/2 for browser work and so on.

On the other hand, if you are faced with a whole lot of other much later
hardware choices, as I have come to understand all this the below is sure
correct together with Y2K issues, driver issues, MUCH more:

 AL> so if you don't have it, you probably will be better off
 AL> upgrading to eComStation (which includes the necessary fixes.)

The issue is that there are a whole series of things which are related to the
use of OS/2 with a whale of a lot of even not too far back hardware and program
operations which DO need the level of service which is the MCP2 stuff.  And
upon which the eComStation toolkits are built upon.  Actually, for much of this
the official IBM MCP1/2 installation stuff is pretty useful.  That followed by
at least Fix Pack XRC004 for this pathway.  Perhaps the most critical issue
facing Warp 4 folks with any of this, including the eComStation junket, is the
point that migration of a complete existing complex Warp 4 operation into
Merlin Convenience Pack workings doesn't work well at all unless you FIRST move
the Warp 4 system to Merlin Convenience Pack 1.  From what I have learned and I
think is TOTALLY agreed upon even by eComStation folks and users, the
conversion of the hard disk operations to LVM level systems fron the original
FDisk stuff, together with migration of the Warp 4 Desktop to the MCP Desktop,
migration of the TCP/IP stuff, MPTS, PEER and everything is a huge MESS and
much goes wrong if you try this with eConStation, or .. in fact, with MCP2 as
well!

The ONLY way to really do the migration deal is MCP1 practically and safely, is
MCP1.  From which, woe, woe, woe, you have to do ANOTHER migration of the OS/2
desktop and conversion to MCP2, of all things! But it works that way and works
well if you are careful to munch it all through the desktop migration pig trail
and so.  At least it always has for me.

That is the key reason I did not choose to even go down the eComStation pathway
at first.  I simply could not move all my huge very complex operations on Warp
4 and re-install EVERYTHING and rebuild it all from scratch.  And .. the MCP1
conversion also had the same 512MB memory max game too, as well as some other
issues which, even at that point were a problem.  Conversion of the PEERLAN
operation wasn't just easy-weezy,nor was the audio game in some ways.  But I
*DID* get everything I wanted ported and converted, and followed the IBM path
all the way down the formal Fix Pack pike, all the way through the separated
device drivers, the full TCP/IP, MPTN, PEER changes and even to FP XRC005
official PUBLIC release from IBM, which has not caused me problems. Although it
HAS caused some folks problems and at this point even eCs suggests that you do
not go past XRC004 officially as part of their 1.24R current release.

In that I want to stay with OS/2 as long as it is practical and possible to do
so, that means even post XRC004 Kernal fixes are really needed. And you can
find them available publically to help you here.

Besides that, there is actually a new IBM XRCX006 Fix Pack for OS/2 which did
get exposed publically not too long ago that is a part of the eComStation
workings.  That together with ACPI, other driver and support issues that are
even still being worked with.  I did pick up the XRC006 fix pack Beta 3 which
was out there and have applied it for test purposes on a CLONED SATA hard drive
which has service from both the much, much later IBM1S506.ADD drivers as well
as Dani's substitute hard disk drivers for OS/2.  You might note that this FP 6
for OS/2 is working here on MCP2, and .. it has an even newer OS/2 Kernel than
the one which came out of TestCase and is available from some public BBS
operations.

At this point I have no problems at all with this however it appeared with an
XRC006 updated MCP2 system.

But lest folks get the wrong idea here about me, just to keep things totally on
the up and up, I also have a paid for eCs 1.24R install package on the desk
here never used now.  And the reason I did that was to properly look forward to
the possibility of improved and expanded hardware service for OS/2 .. either as
improved products that would still work with MCP2 or eCs, whatever.

At the moment, both here and in my client support work, the choice of hardware
that has been most effective for us has been the Intel 915GAVL and 915GEVL
motherboards, with everything up through the top of the line Intel CPU
operations, the IBM on-board video chipset, and the IBM on-board 10/100 LAN
chipset.  To this point I still have not finished seeing the onboard IBM High
Definition Audio system completely working. Although with the last release of
the Uniaud stuff, the core audio is now working for it, but the mixer
operations are not.  To this end, we are still using the SBLive 5.1 model 200
PCI audio cards for service and they work completely fine with the Uniaudio
components, as well as with even the Win-OS/2 audio operations as well.

It is hoped that the work that Paul Smedley is now doing with the Uniaudio
stuff may finally solve the mixer glitch for the IBM on-board audio.  At that
point, it is my belief that even the Intel 945 series motherboards with only 2
PCI slots instead of 4 would make a pretty good choice for fairly well into the
future for us with OS/2.

To that extent, all of the IBM latest PASSPORT ADVANTAGE PUBLIC releases of the
needed USB driver stuff do work here.  That including the USB to serial port
converstion stuff for multiple serial port operations are working fine.  And as
well, I've had no trouble at all with the entire scope of SATA hard disk
operations using the Seagate SATA drives.  Nor have I had any trouble with the
entire later version Adaptec SCSI drive operations, including the DAT SCSI
backup tape operations, as well as Plexstor SCSI CD-RW stuff.  I've used both
the later 2940U2W cards and am now also using the 29160 Adaptec controllers
that work FINE with the Intel motherboards.

But anyone who thinks that they can do this all with Warp 4 is, I think,living
in a dream world, as to modern hardware and all this.  And at some point if I
were they, I'd sure like to plan for six or ten years into the future with
something like the Intel stuff we chose, than try to figure out what to do with
even a chance at the older hardware.

Just trying to help here, that's all.

--> Sleep well; OS/2's still awake! ;)

Mike @ 1:117/3001

--- Maximus/2 3.01
 * Origin: Ziplog Public Port (1:117/3001)