Möte OSDEBATE, 18996 texter
Skriven 2004-08-15 01:37:16 av Rich Gauszka (1:379/45)
    Kommentar till text 340 av Mark (1:379/45)
Ärende: Re: Monitor repair vs. replacement, CRT vs LCD
From: "Rich Gauszka" <gauszka@hotmail.com>

"Mark" <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:411eee72$1@w3.nls.net...

> I've wandered around a few stores looking the monitors and I'm not sure I
> understand the attraction to LCDs? I mean I'm perfectly happy with a CRT
> and
> didn't really think the LCDs looked as good <and I'm getting a deja vu
> feeling as I type as if I've asked this before <g>>

For me - Desk space - Desk space - Desk space. < did I say desk space >

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/article-4500.php

Aesthetics: LCD monitors are aesthetically very pleasing to the eye being slim
and stylish. There is no comparison with the CRT here. The current breed of LCD
monitors has excellent colour combinations, and neat looking control panels.
The weight of the LCD monitors is roughly 6-8 lbs for 15 inch models and
slightly more for the 17 inch ones. Since it is very light it can be handled
very comfortably even by a lady. Some manufacturers have come up with an
outboard power supply thus reducing the thickness of the panel which now can be
had at less than an inch!

Angle of view: Although the CRT monitors lead the way in this department, the
viewing angle on LCD monitors is getting wider and wider and current models
offer over 160 degrees. For all practical purposes that is more than sufficient
for any user. Therefore the angle of view is not a major concern anymore as it
used to be when LCD monitors initially emerged in the marketplace.

Colour Purity: This is where the CRT monitors take a clear advantage. However
the best LCD monitors are very good and for an average user the difference is
hardly noticeable in side by side comparison. The difference can vary from
slight to significant depending on the quality of the LCD monitor used in
comparison.

Contrast: Traditionally the CRT monitors always had better contrast and LCD
monitors were lagging behind. Recently some of the best LCD monitors have come
very close and according to some they match what the CRT is capable of in terms
of contrast. This aspect of the monitor helps in correct tonal characteristics
in low light situations. A high contrast monitor is likely to produce black as
black rather than dark grey. High contrast is most important for gaming and
movie playback.

Dead Pixels: What are Dead Pixels? Dead Pixels are simply pixels on the LCD
monitors that do not function. Dead Pixels are not repairable hence they stay
there for good. Dead Pixels can easily be identified in programs with white
background; you can spot them in the same place every time you switch on your
system. In the early days the issue of dead pixels on LCD monitors was a big
one confronting most of the manufacturers, however, the manufacturing practices
have greatly improved over time and dead pixel issue is very much controlled
based on the experience gained. Still many manufacturers themselves are
confused as to the Warranty Policies they need to enact for replacement of
those monitors with dead pixels. The top manufacturers have no problem
replacing the monitor within the warranty period. So when shopping for an LCD
monitor check the dead pixel policy indicated in the warranty. Also check for
dead pixels once you install it in your system. If you spot a dead pixel within
the warranty period get a replacement.

Energy Requirements: LCD monitors are extremely economical when it comes to
power consumption. Their consumption is in the region of 25 -50 watts compared
to CRT which consume like 60-80 watts for a 15 inch model to almost 70 to 150
for 17 and 19 inch models.

Image Brightness: LCD Monitors win hands down in this department. They offer
almost twice the brightness compared to the CRT monitor. If you use the system
in a brightly lit room or with plenty of sunshine coming through the window LCD
is the best choice.

Magnetic Interference: Again the CRT looses out in this department too. LCD
monitors are not affected by the magnetic interference at all. Many of the LCD
monitors come with stereo speakers built-in and need not be shielded for
magnetic interference. Shielding the speakers makes them very costly, thus the
savings can be either passed on to the consumer or spent by manufacturer
elsewhere in a more effective way.

Response Time: As mentioned in the beginning of this article the response time
of the LCD monitor is crucial for the gamers and movie buffs. Response time
refers to updating of the pixel colours. Ghosting or trailing effects start to
become evident when the response time slows down to 20 ms. One should
definitely look for monitors offering 16ms or even 12 ms response time. We may
even see monitors in near future with response times in single digits!

Screen Flicker: One of the most annoying things on the CRT monitor which we all
had to suffer was the flickering effect, in other words the low refresh rates.
This contributed towards headaches which users experienced on a daily basis.
This aspect was also responsible for lower productivity. CRT does not have an
advantage when it comes to the flickering effect. By default windows always
sets the refresh rate at 60 Hz, until you install your monitor and it detects
the configuration file and sets the refresh rate based on factory setting of
the monitor in question. The VESA standard states that the minimum refresh rate
to avoid eye strain is 72 Hz. Some of the good CRT monitors can go much higher.
Ideally a refresh rate of 85 Hz should be OK for most people using 17 inch
monitors. Due to difference in technology the LCD Monitors are clear winners as
refresh rate is not an issue with them. Normally you get a choice of two
different refresh rates on the LCD monitor but it is best to go with the
recommendations of the manufacturer.

--- BBBS/NT v4.01 Flag-5
 * Origin: Barktopia BBS Site http://HarborWebs.com:8081 (1:379/45)