Möte OSDEBATE, 18996 texter
Skriven 2005-10-15 21:48:02 av Mike '/m' (1:379/45)
   Kommentar till text 7214 av Mike '/m' (1:379/45)
Ärende: Re: Avian Flu: Is the Government Ready for an Epidemic?
From: Mike '/m' <mike@barkto.com>

From today's NYTimes, page A10

"Strains of avian influenza virus that are resistant to the anitflu drug
Tamiflu have been isolated from a patient in Vietnam, scientists reported
yesterday...."

The rest of the article suggests that other treatments are still valid but...

...(IMHO) this is going from worse to worser.

 /m

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 11:57:39 -0400, Mike '/m' <mike@barkto.com> wrote:

>http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/print?id=1130392
>
>===
> It could kill a billion people worldwide, make ghost towns out of parts
>of major cities, and there is not enough medicine to fight it. It is
>called the avian flu.
>
>This week, the U.S. government agreed to stockpile $100 million worth of
>a still-experimental vaccine, while at the United Nations Summit in New
>York, both the head of the U.N. World Health Organization and President
>Bush warned of the virus' deadly potential.
>
>"We must also remain on the offensive against new threats to public
>health, such as the Avian influenza," Bush said in his speech to world
>leaders. "If left unchallenged, the virus could become the first
>pandemic of the 21st century."
>
>According to Dr. Irwin Redlener, director of the National Center for
>Disaster Preparedness at Columbia University's Mailman School of Public
>Health, Bush's call to remain on the offensive has come too late.
>
>"If we had a significant worldwide epidemic of this particular avian
>flu, the H5N1 virus, and it hit the United States and the world, because
>it would be everywhere at once, I think we would see outcomes that would
>be virtually impossible to imagine," he warns.
>
>Already, officials in London are quietly looking for extra morgue space
>to house the victims of the H5N1 virus, a never-before-seen strain of
>flu. Scientists say this virus could pose a far greater threat than
>smallpox, AIDS or anthrax.
>
>"Right now in human beings, it kills 55 percent of the people it
>infects," says Laurie Garrett, a senior fellow on global health policy
>at the Council on Foreign Relations. "That makes it the most lethal flu
>we know of that has ever been on planet Earth affecting human beings."
>
>No Natural Immunity
>
>The Council on Foreign Relations devoted its most recent issue of the
>prestigious journal, Foreign Affairs, to what it called the coming
>global epidemic, a pandemic.
>
>"Each year different flus come, but your immune system says, 'Ah, I've
>seen that guy before. No problem. Crank out some antibodies, and I might
>not feel great for a couple of days, but I'll recover,'" Garrett says.
>"Now what's scaring us is that this constellation of H number 5 and N
>number 1, to our knowledge, has never in history been in our species. So
>absolutely nobody watching this has any natural immunity to this form of
>flu."
>
>Like most flu viruses, this form started in wild birds -- such as geese,
>ducks and swans -- in Asia.
>
>"They die of a pneumonia, just like people," says William Karesh, the
>lead veterinarian for the Wildlife Conservation Society. "When you open
>them up, you do a post-mortem exam. Their lungs are just full of fluid
>and full of blood."
>
>Karesh has been tracking this flu strain for the last several years as
> [...]

--- BBBS/NT v4.01 Flag-5
 * Origin: Barktopia BBS Site http://HarborWebs.com:8081 (1:379/45)