Möte POLITICS, 29554 texter
Skriven 2005-03-30 00:36:01 av John Hull (1:379/1.99)
  Kommentar till text 10629 av Ed Hulett (1:123/789.0)
Ärende: Bo Gritz
================
30 Mar 05 01:18, Ed Hulett wrote to John Hull:

 John Hull ->> Ed Hulett wrote:

 EH>>> So, the judge who ordered her tube removed until she is dead
 EH>>> should have stayed out of it too?

 JH>> Yes.

 EH> Ok.

 EH>>> Good giref. We know no such thing.

 JH>> Then you have not seen some of the news reports that I have, and
 JH>> probably vice versa.  Michael's legal beagle is a ghoul, in my
 JH>> opinion, judging from some of the things he's said.  The people on
 JH>> the parent's side are just as bad, in their own way.

 EH> Michael's lawyer is immoral. I have yet to see or hear anything
 EH> from people on the other side who matches his depravity.

The parent's lawyer has been making statements that weren't true, and has been
publicly corrected by the family.  The point is, he's just as much an advocate
for their side as the other guy is for Michael.  Two sides of the same coin in
my opinion.

 EH>>> What activism are you talking about?

 EH>>> Unlike you, I do not attempt to play God. It isn't up to me to
 EH>>> say either way. My grandmother did not suffer. Her every need was
 EH>>> cared for.  It was painful for us, her loved ones to see her like
 EH>>> she was, but that doesn't rationalize having her put to death by
 EH>>> starvation.

What makes you think I'm playing god? Following the wishes of a family member
is not playing god.

 JH>> Again, I have to ask what HER wishes would have been if she had a
 JH>> choice.

 EH> No one knows what her wishes were. She wasn't in a condition to
 EH> tell anyone. I do know she didn't want heroic measures taken, but
 EH> none were taken.

You never had any discussions with her about such things?  I know its not an
easy subject, but most people do talk about it with someone who is close to
them.

 JH>> I don't consider keeping someone alive by artificial means,
 JH>> even if there is supposedly no pain, who is in a coma or otherwise
 JH>> trapped in a body that will never function normally again as
 JH>> having any kind of quality of life.  Let me ask you:  If you were
 JH>> in a situation like that, regardless of the reason, where you
 JH>> couldn't move any part of your body, couldn't speak, and dependant
 JH>> on somebody else for everything, would you want to continue
 JH>> living?

 EH> I sure wouldn't want someone else to make that decision for me. If
 EH> I had not taken the time and effort to make out a living will, it
 EH> isn't someone else's duty to make that decision in my stead.

Under the law, regardless of what state you live in, somebody does have that
authority.  If you're smart, you've left instructions on who that person is to
be.

 EH> If I was in such a condition I certainly wouldn't like it if some
 EH> judge ordered that my feeding tube be removed until I died.

 JH>> Hoping against all reason for a miracle in such a situation is
 JH>> understandable but it certainly isn't realistic or rational, yet
 JH>> all too often relatives simply can't make life or death decisions
 JH>> because they can't get past their own grief and sense of loss.  I
 JH>> have seen too many

 EH> Good grief! Get down off that high horse.

 JH>> friends who have gone through this, and not a few of my own family
 JH>> members, where they are unable to let someone go, ruining the
 JH>> financial state of the family to the extent of destitution in some
 JH>> cases, and for

 EH> You consider finances more important than family?

I do not want to be a burden to my family by having to be institutionalized for
decades.  It is incredibly expensive, even with good insurance.  Most people
don't have catastrophic health care insurance.

 JH>> what?  I don't think its fair to the person in that condition to
 JH>> keep them alive by force, no matter how gentle and loving that
 JH>> force might be.

 EH> What force are you talking about? You assume everyone in that
 EH> condition would want to die.

 JH>> What is dignified about laying there in a piece of flesh that
 JH>> can't move under its own volition?  What's dignified about being
 JH>> reduced to the mental state of a 6-month old baby?  What's
 JH>> dignified about having a plastic tube stuffed into your stomach
 JH>> through a hole in your throat so they can pump nutritious goo and
 JH>> water into you?  I have some real problems understanding what some
 JH>> people think is dignified.

 EH> So 6 month old babies are not human and deserving of dignity? No
 EH> matter what you say, John, you can't rationalize killing another
 EH> human being.

And you are making assumptions again about what I said.  We aren't talking
about babies, we're talking about adults who are brain damaged.  I'm not
rationalizing anything.  I'm talking about things that most people can't even
bring up, let alone have a serious discussion about.

 EH>>> And her parents aren't family? Why does her husband want her
 EH>>> dead? Why does he not allow her parents to take care of her? He
 EH>>> could divorce her and go live with his fiance. But no, he would
 EH>>> rather Terri be starved to death.

 JH>> I believe somebody already posted the relevant law, or at least
 JH>> paraphrased it.

 EH> Actually, no, they didn't.

 EH>>> For crying out loud. So she should be killed to make things all
 EH>>> better?

 JH>> Didn't say that, did I?

 EH> Just up above a ways you talk of keeping someone in that state
 EH> ruinous of family finances. So, yes, you did.

No, I was talking about people who don't make necessary decisions beforehand
and who end up destitute because they can't deal with things.

 EH>>> Give me a break. No human being should have such power over
 EH>>> another. If it was a case of heroic measures, I'd err on the side
 EH>>> of the husband, but it isn't. All she needs to sustain life is a
 EH>>> feeding tube and experts have said she could be given theoropy to
 EH>>> get her to swallow again.

 JH>> Maybe they shouldn't, but they do.  It happens every day all over
 JH>> the world, and you know that as well as I do.

 EH> Really? It happens all over the world? Give me some examples.
 EH> Other than murder, I cannot find anything.

Why are you being so damned literal?  Is your position so threatened you can't
even talk about it without going on the offensive?

 JH>> Nor does it matter what *YOU* think or feel about it.  It isn't
 JH>> under your jurisdiction to decide.

 EH> Oh, so I'm not allowed to argue my case?

By all means, but I have the same right, and my opinion is just as valid as
yours.  Since neither of us has an immediate stake in this situation, there is
no point in letting emotions hold sway.  I'm trying to avoid emotionalism as
much as I can because it simply serves no purpose in coming to a conclusion.
I'm also trying to look at this from the standpoint of what the majority of
people end up having to do in similar situations.

 EH>>> Humanity isn't situational, John.

 JH>> It sure is.  People deal with situations all the time, from
 JH>> insignificant stuff, all the way up to stuff like the Schiavo
 JH>> case. Nobody does it the same way every time.  According to one
 JH>> report, 38 states or something like that, have specific laws
 JH>> dealing with how and when you can turn off the switch, or pull the
 JH>> tube, etc.  That means there are at least 38 variations on a theme,
 JH>> and every time one of these situations comes up, it gets handled
 JH>> differently.

 EH> You are talking apples and oranges, John. Humanity isn't
 EH> situational. Period.

 EH>>> How can you say no one is thinking clearly at this point? What
 EH>>> gives you that power?

 EH>>> What hystrionics are you talking about? Is respect for human life
 EH>>> "hystrionics?"

 JH>> Who is thinking clearly?  The parents?  Michael?  The advocates
 JH>> who have lined up on either side behind them?  How about the people
 JH>> getting themselves arrested?  How about Congress, or all those
 JH>> judges up and down the line?  You're sitting there telling me *I*
 JH>> am trying to assume some power I shouldn't have for god's sake!
 JH>> Apparently I'm some sort of evil person because I'm simply trying
 JH>> to stand back far enough to make a rational decision without having
 JH>> to wade through all the static.  I guess that makes me callous and
 JH>> unfeeling according to some people.

 EH> You haven't stood back yet, John. You are on Michael's side. You
 EH> think Terri should die. You have repeatedly defended ending her
 EH> life.

Bullshit.  I made no such judgement about Terri Schiavo.  I said what *I* would
do, and what my parents have said *they* would do.  I distinctly said that it
wasn't my place to make a decision about Terri.  I also said there are too many
people involved in this situation.  I have wondered whether or not she would
want to remain alive trapped in a nonfunctional body.  But I have never once
said I agreed with Michael.

 JH>> Respect for human life is a laudable thing, but part of that
 JH>> respect also includes the decisions that sometimes have to be made
 JH>> to let somebody go.

 EH> Only when that person dies on their own, John. Not when someone
 EH> orders they be starved to death.

 EH> You can't preach to me about letting someone go. I had to do that
 EH> with both my father and my mother. Their wishes were that no
 EH> heroic measures be made to keep them alive. Their wishes were
 EH> observed. That isn't the same thing with Terri Schiavo, thoug. A
 EH> feeding tube isn't heroic measures. There is a fine line between
 EH> respecting the wishes of the person not to use heroic measures and
 EH> out right killing them. That line has been crossed with regard to
 EH> Terri Schiavo. To deprive her of food and water is worse than if
 EH> they'd have took a pistol and shot her between the eyes.

 EH> She is going through a long and painful death. If her wishes were
 EH> that she not be kept alive by heroic measures (that's what a
 EH> living will says) then her wishes are NOT being followed.

And you can't seem to get past the emotional aspects of all this, which is why
you're climbing all over me.

Time to end the discussion.

John

America:  First, Last, and Always!