Möte POLITICS, 29554 texter
Skriven 2005-04-15 01:27:06 av Ed Connell (1:379/1.6)
  Kommentar till text 11488 av John Hull (1:379/1.99)
Ärende: Re: Bo Gritz
====================
Hey, John.

 JH>>> What you are saying is essence is that what you say is meaningless
 JH>>> unless it is put into writing and notarized to make it legally
 JH>>> binding. I don't think that's what you meant to say.

 EC>> Pretty much that is what I meant to say.  Before someone kills me,
 EC>> I'd hope they have more than three or four persons who testify that
 EC>> killing me is my preference.

 JH> Her preference was that she not live in a permanent helpless state, NOT
 JH> that she be murdered.  Regardless of HOW she died, she was NOT murdered
 JH> under the law.

I have never used the word murder in regard to this case.

 JH> To the best of my knowledge from what I've read, she wasn't there
 JH> anymore, Ed. It was just an empty shell of flesh.

Then if she lived she would not know it?

 JH>>> Absent any testimony from anybody to the contrary, that IS what
 JH>>> she thought.  That's the way our legal system is set up.

 EC>> In essence, she is testifying at the hearing.  When they say, I
 EC>> heard her say thus and so, the court is then considering her words as
 EC>> her testimony. Note however that those who give testimony must be
 EC>> subject to cross-examination.  She could not be so cross-examined, so
 EC>> her testimony is inadmissable.

 JH> No, the cross is only to make sure that the witness is accurately
 JH> testifying to what she said.  It doesn't negate HER words at all, or
 JH> her wishes.  HER wishes and words ARE admissable when the witness is
 JH> considered credible, and the cross exam is for the purpose of
 JH> determining that credibility of the witness, nothing more.

I don't think so.  Cross can also bring out facts that were known, but not
mentioned.  For example, under cross,
one could ask her, do you want to die even if that means that you will die
of thirst?

 JH>>> ==================== clipped

 JH> Her wishes and her words are the same thing from a legal standpoint.

They are?  Why?  They are not the same thing in reality.

 JH>>> And it is equally true that she may have considered what she said
 JH>>> to be legal. Assuming either way is delving into the unknown.  We
 JH>>> only have what she was heard to say, and that is what the decision
 JH>>> MUST be based on in order for the law to be impartial.

 EC>> And you are willing for them to kill her based on the unknown?
 EC>> The fact that we are limited in our knowledge as you point out is no
 EC>> excuse to just take a guess.

 JH>>> The law didn't condemn her.  The law is only as good as the men
 JH>>> who wrote it. If its wrong, then it should be changed.

 EC>> I'm for that.

 JH>>> Tyranny or anarchy - both start the same way - by ignoring the
 JH>>> law, by passing bad laws, and by standing by and doing nothing to
 JH>>> correct such abuse.  It starts little by little, here and there,
 JH>>> until all of a sudden there's an 800 lb. gorilla tearing up the
 JH>>> house, and no way to stop it.

 EC>> So this woman was killed to uphold this principle?  I'm still not
 EC>> sure how the nation would be harmed if this woman were still alive.

 JH> We, and our leaders, make a big deal all the time about this country
 JH> being a country that follows the rule of law.  You either do that or
 JH> you don't, you can't have it both ways when something distasteful and
 JH> ugly happens.  You either follow the law as it exists and then change
 JH> it, or you don't, at which point you have introduced potential anarchy
 JH> (or tyranny) into the mix.

 JH> I prefer to follow the rule of law, as painful as it can be at times.

I prefer justice tempered with mercy.

--- Fidolook Lite FTN stub
 * Origin: Procrastinate NOW, don't put it off for tomorro (1:379/1.6)