Möte POLITICS, 29554 texter
Skriven 2005-05-26 07:03:18 av John Massey (1:123/789.0)
  Kommentar till text 12899 av Jeff Binkley (1:226/600)
Ärende: FAIR TAX
================

">
 JB> Here is what Steve Forbes said in front of Congress recently.  I will be
 JB> seeing him a week from Monday.  I'll get an update from him on this
 JB> issue (as well as tease him about appearing on the Apprentice <g>):

 JB> http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2005/0606/031.html

 JB> Fact and Comment
 JB> Steve Forbes, 06.06.05, 12:00 AM ET

 JB> On May 11, I testified before the President's Advisory Panel on Federal
 JB> Tax Reform. This body, headed by former U.S. senators Connie Mack (R-
 JB> Fla.) and John Breaux (D-La.), will render its recommendations by July
 JB> 31. To help prod the debate for real change, I have written a book, Flat
 JB> Tax Revolution: Using a Postcard to Abolish the IRS, which will be
 JB> published by Regnery on the Fourth of July.

The main problem with the Flat Tax plan is that it does not do away with
the 16 amendmentr and the IRS. The Flat tax plan also has provisions to keep
some deductions like home mortage deductions, which could easely be expanded
to other things as Congress Critters try to buy votes.
Ask Steve what he thinks of the Fair Tax plan and why he perfers the Flat
Tax Plan over it.
That would be interesting to me.

> [...]

 JB> themselves which system is better--the flat tax or the old system. Given
 JB> the choice, most people would opt for a simpler system.

 JB> Stronger Economy, More Federal Revenue

 JB> The low tax rate would set off an economic boom by letting people keep
 JB> more of what they earn and by lowering barriers to risk taking. Every
 JB> time the tax burden on the American people has been reduced, better-
 JB> paying jobs and new businesses were created, incomes rose, and the
 JB> standard of living improved. But those weren't the only benefits: Lower
 JB> taxes also drove government revenues up, not down.

 JB> When President John F. Kennedy enacted across-the-board tax reductions,
 JB> including dropping the top tax rate from 91% to 70%, the economy boomed.
 JB> Federal receipts mushroomed. Something very similar happened as a result
 JB> of the Reagan tax reductions and again from the tax-rate reductions
 JB> enacted two years ago on capital gains, dividends and personal income.

 JB> This brings us to the absurdity of static analysis, which assumes that
 JB> changes in tax rates have little or no impact on our behavior. Think of
 JB> it this way: If people's incomes were taxed at 100% on Mondays and a
 JB> zero percentage rate on Tuesdays, how many people do you think would
 JB> show up for work on Monday? Washington's static analysts, mired in their
 JB> rigid, wrongheaded theories, would swear up and down that attendance
 JB> would be the same on Mondays as it would be on Tuesdays.

 JB> When Congress increased the capital gains tax levy in 1986, the so-
 JB> called experts at the Joint Committee on Taxation estimated that this
 JB> tax increase would increase capital gains revenues. Wrong. Tax receipts
 JB> plummeted.

 JB> By contrast, when President Clinton agreed with congressional
 JB> Republicans in 1997 to cut the capital gains tax rate from 28% to 20%,
 JB> critics wrung their hands, predicting revenues would drop and deficits
 JB> would increase. In fact, revenues from capital gains increased
 JB> dramatically.

 JB> As a result of static analysis, revenue loss from tax cuts tends to be
 JB> overstated, which makes it harder to enact tax cuts.

 JB> To conclude, Mr. Chairman, the monstrosity of the tax code we have today
 JB> has created a problem of monstrous proportions. And like every big
 JB> problem, it requires a big solution. Fiddling around the margins of the
 JB> tax code won't do the trick. A simpler, fairer flat tax will.

 JB> We already know flat taxes work because they've been enacted in Hong
 JB> Kong, Russia, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Ukraine, Slovakia, Romania,
 JB> Serbia and Georgia. Other nations are actively considering their own
 JB> versions of a flat tax. What are we waiting for--especially now, when
 JB> the rest of the world, including India and China, is determined to catch
 JB> up with us?

 JB> I want to thank this committee for allowing me to testify today, and I
 JB> want to applaud you for your courage in taking on this very important

--- Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1409
 * Origin:  (1:123/789.0)