Möte POLITICS, 29554 texter
Skriven 2005-09-08 20:41:00 av TIM RICHARDSON (1:123/140)
     Kommentar till en text av BOB SAKOWSKI
Ärende: Katrina timeline
========================
On 09-08-05, BOB SAKOWSKI said to TIM RICHARDSON:

-> A timeline I found says the president declared a state
-> of emergency in Lousiana on Saturday, August 27th.

BS>Then by all means post it Tim.

Here's one:

Shreveport weather stormtracker KSLA News 12 ArkLaTex Ark-La-Tex Doppler
Texarkana Bossier MarshallPresident Declares 'State Of Emergency' In Louisiana

BATON ROUGE, LA
President Declares 'State Of Emergency' In
Louisiana

KSLA News 12 Headlines

Washington has now stepped in to help
Louisiana weather the storm in the coming
days.

Earlier Saturday, President Bush declared
a State of Emergency for Louisiana. That means
federal agencies are now ready to help prepare
for the storm.

Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco
declared a State of Emergency on Friday to mobilize
National Guard units in the state.

In south Louisiana, people prepared for
Katrina's arrival by boarding up their homes.

Many others took the advice from both the
governor and FEMA to leave now.

FEMA spokesman Michael Brown said, "You
have about 36 hours now to understand how
serious this storm is, and to make your
preparations to keep your family and to keep
your business safe. You've got to do that now.

(Sunday) and Monday will be too late. "

-> Also, another source of information says that on Friday
-> (which would be the 2nd), the governor of Louisiana was
-> sent a memorandum asking her to request a
-> federal takeover of  the disaster situation, which was rejected.

BS>Tim, you are misinformed.  The feds wanted her to request that the LANG be
BS>federalized, which she refused.

The question that comes up is...why? She nor her state hd or has the resources
that the `Fed' has.

BS>They did not send her "a memorandum
BS>asking her to request a federal takeover of the disaster situation."  That
BS>is simply a lie.  Where did you "hear" it Tim, Limbaugh, FOX, where

No, neither one. The Washington Post:

Many Evacuated, but Thousands Still WaitingHello undefined

Dispatch From New Orleans

A Sept. 4 article on the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina incorrectly said that
Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco (D) had not declared a state of
emergency. She declared an emergency on Aug. 26.

Many Evacuated, but Thousands Still Waiting

White House Shifts Blame to State and Local Officials

By Manuel Roig-Franzia and Spencer Hsu

Washington Post Staff Writers

Sunday, September 4, 2005; Page A01

NEW ORLEANS, Sept. 3 -- Tens of thousands of people spent a fifth day awaiting
evacuation from this ruined city, as Bush administration officials blamed
state and local authorities for what leaders at all levels have called a
failure of the country's emergency management.

President Bush authorized the dispatch of 7,200 active-duty ground troops to
the area -- the first major commitment of regular ground forces in the crisis
-- and the Pentagon announced that an additional 10,000 National Guard troops
will be sent to Louisiana and Mississippi, raising the total Guard contingent
to about 40,000.

Behind the scenes, a power struggle emerged, as federal officials tried to
wrest authority from Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco (D). Shortly
before midnight Friday, the Bush administration sent her a proposed legal
memorandum asking her to request a federal takeover of the evacuation of New
Orleans, a source within the state's emergency operations center said
Saturday.

The administration sought unified control over all local police and state
National Guard units reporting to the governor. Louisiana officials rejected
the request after talks throughout the night, concerned that such a move would
be comparable to a federal declaration of martial law. Some officials in the
state suspected a political motive behind the request. "Quite frankly, if
they'd been able to pull off taking it away from the locals, they then could
have blamed everything on the locals," said the source, who does not have the
authority to speak publicly.

A senior administration official said that Bush has clear legal authority to
federalize National Guard units to quell civil disturbances under the
Insurrection Act and will continue to try to unify the chains of command that
are split among the president, the Louisiana governor and the New Orleans
mayor.

Louisiana did not reach out to a multi-state mutual aid compact for assistance
until Wednesday, three state and federal officials said. As of Saturday,
Blanco still had not declared a state of emergency, the senior Bush official
said.

"The federal government stands ready to work with state and local officials to
secure New Orleans and the state of Louisiana," White House spokesman Dan
Bartlett said. "The president will not let any form of bureaucracy get in the
way of protecting the citizens of Louisiana."
Blanco made two moves Saturday that protected her independence from the
federal government: She created a philanthropic fund for the state's victims
and hired James Lee Witt, Federal Emergency Management Agency director in the
Clinton administration, to advise her on the relief effort.

Bush, who has been criticized, even by supporters, for the delayed response to
the disaster, used his weekly radio address to put responsibility for the
failure on lower levels of government. The magnitude of the crisis "has
created tremendous problems that have strained state and local capabilities,"
he said.

"The result is that many of our citizens simply are not getting the help they
need, especially in New Orleans. And that is unacceptable."

Here's another little piece of info:

Mayor slams Blanco for stalling -

Nation/Politics -

The Washington Times, America's Newspaper

Mayor slams Blanco for stalling
By James G. Lakely

THE WASHINGTON TIMES
September 7, 2005

Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco has been critical of the Bush
administration's response to the disastrous aftermath of Hurricane Katrina,
but, according to the mayor of New Orleans, her indecision when President Bush
offered help delayed rescue efforts and cost lives.

New Orleans Mayor C. Ray Nagin told CNN's "American Morning" Monday that
he met with Mr. Bush and Mrs. Blanco on Air Force One on Friday and implored
the two to "get in sync."

"If you don't get in sync, more people are going to die," Mr. Nagin said.
Mr. Bush met privately first with Mrs. Blanco, then called Mr. Nagin in
for a meeting.

"He called me in that office," Mr. Nagin said. "And he said, 'Mr. Mayor, I
offered two options to the governor.' I was ready to move. The governor said
she needed 24 hours to make a decision."

That decision was a request by Mr. Bush to allow the federal government to
take over the evacuation of New Orleans, which had been marked by chaos for
days. The Democratic governor, who has clashed behind the scenes with the Bush
administration since the storm hit, refused.

White House spokesman Scott McClellan confirmed the Air Force One meeting
with Mrs. Blanco and the governor's decision not to cede her authority over
the Louisiana National Guard, but added that he didn't think "it helps any
situation to get into all those internal discussions."

"This isn't a time when people are trying to look at who's to blame or try
to shift responsibility," Mr. McClellan said. "This is a time when we're all
trying to work together to get things done."

Mr. Bush, at the request of Mrs. Blanco, declared the entire state of
Louisiana a disaster area 48 hours before the hurricane made landfall. He also
asked Mrs. Blanco to order a mandatory evacuation of New Orleans on Aug. 27 --
two days before the hurricane hit -- but she did not make the order until Aug.
28.

Mr. Bush and federal officials have come under harsh criticism for what
some see as a slow reaction to a humanitarian crisis that unfolded last week.

"Instead of unconscionably blaming others, President Bush must take charge
and take responsibility, and must get it right, and that is my concern and the
message that I will bring to the president," said House Minority Leader Nancy
Pelosi, California Democrat. "Mr. President, you should have taken charge and
you should have taken responsibility."

When the levees broke Aug. 30 and flooded New Orleans, the city descended
into violence, looting and confusion. Hundreds of New Orleans police officers
walked off the job, and some survivors housed in the Superdome and the city's
convention center described rapes, robberies and killings in and around the
facilities.

BS>EXACTLY? -> And when (exactly) did the govenor of Louisiana declare a
-> state of emergency in her state? I must have missed it.

BS>You miss a lot of things evidentially Tim.  The request was phoned in on
BS>Aug 26, the letter dated Aug 28 was tranmitted Aug 27.

Thats nice. What with all the flurry of immediate accusations that began to
fly, almost before Katrina touched New Orleans, I couldn't find that info.

BS>This is part of
BS>the public record and no amount of republican dissembling can change that.

Thats nice, too. Lets let "the public record" hang out when the time comes.
Meantime, lets clean up the mess and stop throwing fire bombs at everyone in
sight.

-> Easy to throw lit torches when the facts are as
-> yet not clearly known.

BS>Is this another variation on not playing the "blame game" Tim?  Remember,
BS>when someone says it is no time for the "blame game" you can rest assured
BS>that it is THEY who are to blame.

No....its a simple straight forward statement. All the facts are still to be
gathered. It isn't time yet to `hang' anyone. You can have your lynching
later; lets clean up and put people back on their feet, first.

-> Harder is to wait and see what comes from an
-> ultimate investigation.

BS>Really?  Tell me how long the investigation into the Pearl Harber attack
BS>was delayed and please remember Tim, we were in a fight to the death at
BS>the time.

When Pearl Harbor occured I was barely two months old. I had nothing to do
with Pearl Harbor. I got an alibi that day.......honest!

BS>I am simply amazed at how otherwise intelligent people can give a pass to
BS>gross neglegence engendered by monumental incompetence simply because
BS>those responsible are of the same political persuasion.  IOW Tim, how is
BS>it that republicans CONSISTENTLY place party above truth & country?

I'm not giving `anybody' "a pass". Even Charles Manson wasn't declared guilty
before all the evidence was in and carefully weighed. I'm just saying lets see
`all' the facts, first, before deciding the fault of anyone.

But first........lets clean up the mess and assess the damage and loses.

---
*Durango b301 #PE* Always do something, so that the devil always finds you
occupied.
 * Origin: Try Our Web Based QWK: DOCSPLACE.ORG (1:123/140)