Möte POLITICS, 29554 texter
Skriven 2005-09-11 13:03:00 av Jeff Binkley (1:226/600)
Ärende: Matrina
===============
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/storm/content/state/epaper/2005/09/10/m1a_r
esponse_0910.html#

Lack of plan hurt Katrina-hit states' response
By Dara Kam, Alan Gomez

Palm Beach Post Staff Writers

Saturday, September 10, 2005

UPDATED: 3:50 p.m. September 10, 2005

TALLAHASSEE — One thing Florida knows is hurricanes.

Florida emergency planners criticized and even rebuked their
counterparts -- or what passes for emergency planners -- in those states
for their handling of Hurricane Katrina. Gov. Jeb Bush, the head of
Florida AHCA and the head of Florida wildlife (which is responsible for
all search and rescue) all said they made offers of aid to Mississippi
and Louisiana the day before Katrina hit but were rebuffed. After the
storm, they said they've had to not only help provide people to those
states but also have had to develop search and rescue plans for them.
"They were completely unprepared -- as bad off as we were before
Andrew," one Florida official said.

And how Louisiana and Mississippi officials have handled Hurricane
Katrina is a far cry from what emergency managers here would have done.
Mississippi was in the middle of rewriting its disaster plan when
Katrina struck. Officials there were still analyzing what went wrong
during Hurricane Dennis earlier this year when Katrina overtook them.
Search teams from Florida were rescuing Mississippi victims before law
enforcement officers there were even aware of the magnitude of the
disaster.

Louisiana also lacked an adequate plan to evacuate New Orleans, despite
years of research that predicted a disaster equal to or worse than
Katrina. Even after a disaster test run last year exposed weaknesses in
evacuation and recovery, officials failed to come up with solutions.

"They're where we were in 1992, exactly," said Col. Julie Jones,
director of law enforcement for the Florida Fish and Wildlife
Conservation Commission, in a reference to Florida's state of emergency
preparedness before Hurricane Andrew devastated southern Miami-Dade
County. Since then, Florida has created what many consider a model
emergency management system, initially developed by the late Gov. Lawton
Chiles in response to Andrew and beefed up considerably by Gov. Jeb Bush
took office in 1998, including a record four hurricanes last year.

The state, under Bush, has learned even from storms that did not hit
here. Bush was mortified by the long, stalled lines of cars fleeing from
Hurricane Floyd in 1999 and ordered a study of evacuation alternatives
that led to the state's current plan to convert certain highways to
northern-only routes.

Meanwhile, Florida's western neighbors haven't faced as many storms, and
their emergency preparedness apparently has not evolved as Florida's
has.

Local and state officials in Mississippi and Louisiana, as well as
federal officials, simply weren't prepared to deal with a disaster of
Katrina's magnitude, according to observers, citizens and national
experts on the scene after Hurricane Katrina wreaked catastrophic damage
on the Gulf Coast.

One of the biggest differences between how Florida and other states
handle natural disasters lies in the degree of cooperation between
cities, counties and the state. In Florida, they are in constant
communication with one another as storms advance and during the recovery
phase. Not so elsewhere, as first responders from Florida discovered at
dawn the day after Katrina made landfall. Search and rescue crews from
the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission were poised in
Pensacola on Sunday night in anticipation of Katrina's landfall Monday.

After scouting the Panhandle and determining it was OK Monday morning,
Jones said she called Mississippi officials to see if they needed help.

"They said, 'We don't know,' " she said. "Monday night, Mississippi said
'We still have not been able to evaluate the damage, so please go.' So
Monday night, we were at the border ready to go, and we were in
Mississippi by 6 a.m. Tuesday. So before Mississippi could wake up and
say, 'OK, we have to start doing assessments,' Florida was in those two
counties, in Jackson and Harrison."

Jones' crews made the first rescue in Mississippi at dawn the day after
Katrina made landfall, and they spent a week in the area, ferrying
Mississippi Marine Patrol officers whose vessels were destroyed by
Katrina.

Florida law enforcement officials in each county hold monthly conference
calls to discuss disaster coordination, but it wasn't until after the
storm hit that these Mississippi officials were making a plan of what to
do.

"The biggest frustration for us was sitting down and trying to get all
the emergency managers in a county to sit down in their emergency
operations centers and talk about a plan," Jones said.

Part of the problem was that Mississippi officials were in the process
of rewriting their state emergency plan when Katrina hit, Mississippi
Emergency Management Agency spokeswoman Lea Stokes said. They hadn't yet
evaluated post-Dennis hurricane response surveys when the Category 4
storm and its 20- to 30-foot surge wiped out 75 miles of coastline.

Stokes and other Mississippi officials also blame problems responding to
Katrina on its size and impact on telephone services. Land lines,
cellphones and even satellite phones were useless, Stokes said.

"It was not so much a communications breakdown as it was a communication
device breakdown," said Biloxi spokesman Vincent Creel. "So if we'd have
had carrier pigeons, we'd have been using them. We'd have used smoke
signals, but we didn't have water." Florida's emergency management
chief, Craig Fugate, said just having any old plan isn't enough. It has
to be adequate and a state needs an experienced organization well-versed
in putting it into effect.

"I've heard comments made in other disasters that the first thing they
did was throw the plan away because the plan was worthless," Fugate
said. "A plan should not be some requirement. It should truly reflect
what your real needs are, and what your real resources are." Louisiana's
plan doesn't do either.

A November article published by the Natural Hazards Center, a University
of Colorado research institute, analyzed what would have happened if
Hurricane Ivan had hit New Orleans last summer instead of Pensacola.

"Hurricane Ivan would have pushed a 17-foot storm surge into Lake
Pontchartrain; caused the levees between the lake and the city to
overtop and fill the city 'bowl' with water from lake levee to river
levee, in some places as deep as 20 feet; flooded the north shore
suburbs of Lake Pontchartrain with waters pushing as much as seven miles
inland; and inundated inhabited areas south of the Mississippi River,"
wrote Shirley Laska, a University of New Orleans disaster expert.

But the most recent Louisiana emergency operations plan doesn't address
how to evacuate in the case of flooding from storm surge, saying simply
that "The Greater New Orleans Metropolitan Area represents a difficult
evacuation problem due to the large population and its unique layout."

It continues, "The primary means of hurricane evacuation will be
personal vehicles. School and municipal buses, government-owned vehicles
and vehicles provided by volunteer agencies may be used to provide
transportation for individuals who lack transportation and require
assistance in evacuating."

Buses were unable to transport New Orleans citizens for days following
Katrina's landfall. The plan acknowledges that, in the event of a
catastrophic hurricane, "the evacuation of over a million people from
the Southeast Region could overwhelm normally available shelter
resources." But it doesn't include a solution to the shelter issue.

Louisiana officials could not be reached for comment this week.
Mississippi and Louisiana officials, however, have increasingly decried
what they called a slow federal response to the disaster, blaming the
Federal Emergency Management Agency.

But Gov. Bush defended FEMA.

"If we weren't prepared, and we didn't do our part, no amount of work by
FEMA could overcome the lack of preparation," he said. Natural Hazards
Center director Kathleen Tierney agreed, saying emergency planners in
the Gulf states should have taken a tip from the jazz legends that made
New Orleans famous.

"Organizational improvisation" is essential to cope with unpredictable
events such as Katrina, Tierney said. "Research on jazz musicians shows
that people don't just pull stuff out of the air when they're
improvising. These are people with an extremely wide knowledge of
musical genres. They have always practiced and practiced and practiced.
Similarly, improvising involves a deep understanding of the resources
you have at hand in your community."

Local officials, she said, "could have listened to researchers. They
could take seriously Congressman Patrick Kennedy's bill called the
Ready, Willing and Able Act that calls for more interaction with the
community. They could have approached this improvisational task with
imagination." And they might yet, Biloxi spokesman Creel said.

"Believe me, we're going to be doing a lot of what you call critiquing
of this, but we haven't reached that point yet. We're still at the midst
of it."

--- PCBoard (R) v15.3/M 10
 * Origin:  (1:226/600)