Möte POLITICS, 29554 texter
Skriven 2005-10-05 01:02:33 av Ed Hulett (1:123/789.0)
  Kommentar till text 15807 av Jeff Binkley (1:226/600)
Ärende: The best he could find
==============================
Jeff Binkley -> Bob Sakowski wrote:
 BS>> Preznit Lamedick says the Miers was the best person he could find for
 BS>> Susan O'Connor's seat on the SCOTUS.

 BS>> Question for conservative wingnuts everywhere: How does it feel to to
 BS>> have those conservative judges, members of the Federalist Society,
 BS>> called less qualified to sit on the SCOTUS than a 60 year old woman
 BS>> who never married, never was a judge, never really had anything close
 BS>> to a notable career as a lawyer?

 BS>> Are you wingnuts feeling as used as a douce bag in a whorehouse about
 BS>> now? That's what you get when you give your allegience to a man who
 BS>> has no sense of loyalty, ethics or morality. Are you happy now?

How would a person considered the most powerful woman lawyer in the country
"never really [have] anything close to a notable career as a lawyer?"

 JB> Aren't you getting tired of Bush beating you folks at every turn ?  I
 JB> thought liberals were supposed to be the smartest people on the planet.
 JB> You know, enlightenment.

 JB> ======================================

 JB> http://www.americanthinker.com/articles.php?article_id=4876

 JB> Don't misunderestimate Miers
 JB> October 4th, 2005

 JB> President Bush is a politician trained in strategic thinking at Harvard
 JB> Business School, and schooled in tactics by experience and advice,
 JB> including the experience and advice of his father, whose most lasting
 JB> political mistake was the nomination of David Souter. The nomination of
 JB> Harriet Miers to the Supreme Court shows that he has learned his lessons
 JB> well. Regrettably, a large contingent of conservative commentators does
 JB> not yet grasp the strategy and tactics at work in this excellent
 JB> nomination.

Today, for the first time in months, I tuned into the local talk radio station.
John Carlson, talk radio host and one time gubenatorial candidate, was talking
about the Miers nomination. He said that for conservatives who are unsure about
Miers it comes down to how much you trust George W. Bush to make a proper
choice.

From what I have heard and read about Harriet Miers, I am confident that  he
has made a good choice. Bobski's claims notwithstanding, She does have an
impressive record.

> [...]

 JB> follow, there is room for attending to other important roles in group
 JB> process.

 JB> According  to a source in her Dallas church quoted by Marvin Olasky,
 JB> Harriet Miers is someone who

 JB> taught children in Sunday School, made coffee, brought donuts: "Nothing
 JB> she's asked to do in church is beneath her."

 JB> As the court’s new junior member, the 60 year old lady Harriet Miers
 JB> will finally give a break to Stephen Breyer, who has been relegated to
 JB> closing and opening the door of the conference room, and fetching
 JB> beverages for his more senior Justices. Her ability to do this type of
 JB> work with no resentment, no discomfort, and no regrets will at the least
 JB> endear her to the others. It will also confirm her as the person who
 JB> cheerfully keeps the group on an even keel, more comfortable than
 JB> otherwise might be the case with a level of emotional solidarity.

 JB> But there is much more to it than group solidarity, important though
 JB> that ineffable spiritual qualty may be.  Ms. Miers embodies the work
 JB> ethic as few married people ever could. She reportedly often shows up
 JB> for work at the White House at 5 AM, and doesn’t leave until 9 or 10 PM.
 JB> I have no doubt that she will continue her extraordinary dedication to
 JB> work once confirmed to the Court. She will not only win the admiration
 JB> of those Justices who work shorter hours, she will undoubtedly be
 JB> appreciated by the law clerks who endure similar hours, working on the
 JB> research and writing for the Justices. These same law clerks interact
 JB> with their bosses in private, and their influence intellectual and
 JB> emotional may be more profound than some Justices might like to admit.

 JB> The members of the Supreme Court all see themselves as serving the
 JB> public and the law to the best of their abilities. Their self-regard
 JB> depends on their belief in the righteousness and fairness of their
 JB> deliberations. They must listen to the arguments of the other Justices.
 JB> But their susceptibility to viewpoints they had not yet considered is
 JB> matter of both an intellectual and emotional character. Open-mindedness
 JB> uusally requires an unfreezing of deeply and emotionally-held
 JB> convictions.

 JB> Having proven herself capable of charming the likes of Harry Reid,
 JB> leader of the Senate Democrats, is there much room for doubt that
 JB> Harriet Miers is capable of opening up opponents emotionally to hear and
 JB> actually consider as potentially worthwhile the views of those they
 JB> might presume to be their enemies?

 JB> George Bush has already succeeded in having confirmed a spectacularly-
 JB> qualified intellectual leader of the Court in Chief Justice Roberts. If
 JB> conservatives don’t sabotage his choice, Harriet Miers could make an
 JB> enormous contribution toward building Court majorities for
 JB> interpretations of the Constitution faithful to the actual wording of
 JB> the document.

 JB> Thomas Lifson is the editor and publisher of The American Thinker.

Good article.

Ed

--- Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0.6 (X11/20050912)
 * Origin:  (1:123/789.0)