Möte POLITICS, 29554 texter
Skriven 2005-10-06 19:33:00 av Jeff Binkley (1:226/600)
Ärende: Fool cont...
====================
One morning not long ago, I flipped on one of the news programs in hopes
of seeing information about an important world event that had happened
earlier that day. But the lead story was about a young man who had been
hiccupping for three years. And I must say, it was interesting; he had
trouble getting dates. But what I didn't see was news.

This was the point made by Jon Stewart, the brilliant host of "The Daily
Show," when he visited CNN's "Crossfire": there should be a distinction
between news and entertainment.

And it really matters because the subjugation of news by entertainment
seriously harms our democracy: it leads to dysfunctional journalism that
fails to inform the people. And when the people are not informed, they
cannot hold government accountable when it is incompetent, corrupt, or
both.

One of the only avenues left for the expression of public or political
ideas on television is through the purchase of advertising, usually in
30-second chunks. These short commercials are now the principal form of
communication between candidates and voters. As a result, our elected
officials now spend all of their time raising money to purchase these

That is why the House and Senate campaign committees now search for
candidates who are multi-millionaires and can buy the ads with their own
personal resources. As one consequence, the halls of Congress are now
filling up with the wealthy.

Campaign finance reform, however well it is drafted, often misses the
main point: so long as the only means of engaging in political dialogue
is through purchasing expensive television advertising, money will
continue by one means or another to dominate American politic s. And
ideas will no longer mediate between wealth and power.

And what if an individual citizen, or a group of citizens wants to enter
the public debate by expressing their views on television? Since they
cannot simply join the conversation, some of them have resorted to
raising money in order to buy 30 seconds in which to express their
opinion. But they are not even allowed to do that.

Moveon.org tried to buy ads last year to express opposition to Bush's
Medicare proposal which was then being debated by Congress. They were
told "issue advocacy" was not permissible. Then, one of the networks
that had refused the Moveon ad began running advertisements by the White
House in favor of the President's Medicare proposal. So Moveon
complained and the White House ad was temporarily removed. By temporary,
I mean it was removed until the White House complained and the network
immediately put the ad back on, yet still refused to present the Moveon
ad.

The advertising of products, of course, is the real purpose of
television. And it is difficult to overstate the extent to which modern
pervasive electronic advertising has reshaped our society. In the 1950s,
John Kenneth Galbraith first described the way in which advertising has
altered the classical relationship by which supply and demand are
balanced over time by the invisible hand of the marketplace. According
to Galbraith, modern advertising campaigns were beginning to create high
levels of demand for products that consumers never knew they wanted,
much less needed.

The same phenomenon Galbraith noticed in the commercial marketplace is
now the dominant fact of life in what used to be America's marketplace
for ideas. The inherent value or validity of political propositions put
forward by candidates for office is now largely irrelevant compared to
the advertising campaigns that shape the perceptions of voters.

Our democracy has been hallowed out. The opinions of the voters are, in
effect, purchased, just as demand for new products is artificially
created. Decades ago Walter Lippman wrote, "the manufacture of
consent...was supposed to have died out with the appearance of
democracy...but it has not died out. It has, in fact, improved
enormously in technique...under the impact of propaganda, it is no
longer plausible to believe in the original dogma of democracy."

Like you, I recoil at Lippman's cynical dismissal of America's gift to
human history. But in order to reclaim our birthright, we Americans must
resolve to repair the systemic decay of the public forum and create new
ways to engage in a genuine and not manipulative conversation about our
future. Americans in both parties should insist on the re-establishment
of respect for the Rule of Reason. We must, for example, stop tolerating
the rejection and distortion of science. We must insist on an end to the
cynical use of pseudo studies known to be false for the purpose of
intentionally clouding the public's ability to discern the truth.

I don't know all the answers, but along with my partner, Joel Hyatt, I
am trying to work within the medium of television to recreate a multi-
way conversation that includes individuals and operates according to a
meritocracy of ideas. If you would like to know more, we are having a
press conference on Friday morning at the Regency Hotel.

We are learning some fascinating lessons about the way decisions are
made in the television industry, and it may well be that the public
would be well served by some changes in law and policy to stimulate more
diversity of viewpoints and a higher regard for the public interest. But
we are succeeding within the marketplace by reaching out to individuals
and asking them to co-create our network.

The greatest source of hope for reestablishing a vigorous and accessible
marketplace for ideas is the Internet. Indeed, Current TV relies on
video streaming over the Internet as the means by which individuals send
us what we call viewer-created content or VC squared. We also rely on
the Internet for the two-way conversation that we have every day with
our viewers enabling them to participate in the decisions on programming
our network.

I know that many of you attending this conference are also working on
creative ways to use the Internet as a means for bringing more voices
into America's ongoing conversation. I salute you as kindred spirits and
wish you every success.

I want to close with the two things I've learned about the Internet that
are most directly relevant to the conference that you are having here
today.

First, as exciting as the Internet is, it still lacks the single most
powerful characteristic of the television medium; because of its packet-
switching architecture, and its continued reliance on a wide variety of
bandwidth connections (including the so-called "last mile" to the home),
it does not support the real-time mass distribution of full-motion
video.

Make no mistake, full-motion video is what makes television such a
powerful medium. Our brains - like the brains of all vertebrates - are
hard-wired to immediately notice sudden movement in our field of vision.
We not only notice, we are compelled to look. When our evolutionary
predecessors gathered on the African savanna a million years ago and the
leaves next to them moved, the ones who didn't look are not our
ancestors. The ones who did look passed on to us the genetic trait that
neuroscientists call "the establishing reflex." And that is the brain
syndrome activated by television continuously - sometimes as frequently
as once per second. That is the reason why the industry phrase, "glue
eyeballs to the screen," is actually more than a glib and idle boast. It
is also a major part of the reason why Americans watch the TV screen an
average of four and a half hours a day.

It is true that video streaming is becoming more common over the
Internet, and true as well that cheap storage of streamed video is
making it possible for many young television viewers to engage in what
the industry calls "time shifting" and personalize their television
watching habits. Moreover, as higher bandwidth connections continue to
replace smaller information pipelines, the Internet's capacity for
carrying television will continue to dramatically improve. But in spite
of these developments, it is television delivered over cable and
satellite that will continue for the remainder of this decade and
probably the next to be the dominant medium of communication in
America's democracy. And so long as that is the case, I truly believe
that America's democracy is at grave risk.

The final point I want to make is this: We must ensure that the Internet
remains open and accessible to all citizens without any limitation on
the ability of individuals to choose the content they wish regardless of
the Internet service provider they use to connect to the Worldwide Web.
We cannot take this future for granted. We must be prepared to fight for
it because some of the same forces of corporate consolidation and
control that have distorted the television marketplace have an interest
in controlling the Internet marketplace as well. Far too much is at
stake to ever allow that to happen.

We must ensure by all means possible that this medium of democracy's
future develops in the mold of the open and free marketplace of ideas
that our Founders knew was essential to the health and survival of
freedom.

--- PCBoard (R) v15.3/M 10
 * Origin:  (1:226/600)