Möte POLITICS, 29554 texter
Skriven 2006-08-09 12:54:56 av John Hull (1:123/789.0)
     Kommentar till en text av Alan Hess
Ärende: cocaine baby cases reversed
===================================
Doesn't matter if they clean up or not.  They have demonstrated an inability to
what is right not only under the law, but morally as well, by putting that
child in danger.  To give the kid back to them is nothing short of criminal on
the part of government.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/bal-te.md.court04aug04,0,347300.story?c
> [...]

 AH> Other states made similar attempts to criminalize drug use by pregnant
 AH> women during the crack scare of the late 1980s and early 1990s. But in
 AH> dozens of cases, courts struck down criminal convictions as
 AH> unconstitutional or beyond lawmakers' intent. An exception remains South
 AH> Carolina.

 AH> Both Talbot County women - Regina Kilmon and Kelly Lynn Cruz - were
 AH> charged with reckless endangerment after the birth of their sons. Cruz
 AH> was convicted a year ago and sentenced to 2 1/2 years in prison. She is
 AH> out on parole, Rocah said. Kilmon pleaded guilty to the charge in
 AH> January 2005 and was sentenced to four years in prison before filing an
 AH> appeal. Neither woman could be reached for comment yesterday. Four other
 AH> women have also been charged over the past several years in Talbot
 AH> County, the ACLU said.

 AH> "This serves as a rebuke to those activist prosecutors who seek to use
 AH> the criminal law to advance their own political agendas," Rocah said.

 AH> Talbot County attorneys had argued that they were just trying to protect
 AH> children. "While the office of the state's attorney for Talbot County
 AH> does not agree with the whole of the opinion of the Court of Appeals in
 AH> the Kilmon and Cruz cases, we understand the court's reasoning and fully
 AH> accept its decision as a definitive statement of the law of Maryland on
 AH> the issues generated by these cases," Patterson said.

 AH> Kilmon's case came to the attention of prosecutors soon after the birth
 AH> of her son on June 3, 2004. The baby tested positive for cocaine through
 AH> a drug screening at Easton Memorial Hospital, where he was born. On Jan.
 AH> 13, 2005, Cruz gave birth to her son. She was 29 weeks pregnant, and
 AH> toxicology tests showed the baby had cocaine in his system - as did she.

 AH> Rocah said the court's opinion clearly shows it has no interest in
 AH> "regulating pregnancy via the criminal law."

 AH> The ruling speculates that widening the scope of behavior governed by
 AH> reckless endangerment statutes could make pregnant women vulnerable to
 AH> criminal liability for a wide range of activities, depending on "how
 AH> aggressive, inventive and persuasive any particular prosecutor might be."

 AH> The statute could be stretched, the judges wrote, to include "a whole
 AH> host of intentional and conceivably reckless activity that could not
 AH> possibly have been within the contemplation of the legislature -
 AH> everything from becoming (or remaining) pregnant with the knowledge that
 AH> the child likely will have a genetic disorder that may cause serious
 AH> disability or death ... to failing to wear a seat belt while driving ...
 AH> to exercising too much or too little.

 AH> "Such ordinary things as skiing or horseback riding could produce
 AH> criminal liability."

 AH> stephanie.desmon@baltsun.com

 AH> Copyright + 2006, The Baltimore Sun | Get Sun home delivery

 AH> --- Msged/2 6.0.1
 AH>  * Origin: tncbbs.no-ip.com - Try the CROSSFIRE echo - all welcome

--- Thunderbird 1.5.0.5 (Windows/20060719)
 * Origin:  (1:123/789.0)