Möte POLITICS, 29554 texter
Skriven 2006-08-18 09:16:10 av John Hull (1:123/789.0)
  Kommentar till text 21993 av Jeff Binkley (1:226/600)
Ärende: Lieberman
=================
Jeff Binkley -> All wrote:
 JB> I hope they punish Joe.  it will show the rest of the country that
 JB> Howard Dean is in charge....

Let 'em.  The GOP will offer him a major chair just to spite the Democrats, and
likely one better than he would've gotten otherwise.

> [...]

 JB> and homeland security.

 JB> �Lieberman�s tone and message has shocked a lot of people,� said a
 JB> second senior Democratic aide who has discussed the issue with other
 JB> Senate Democrats. �He�s way off message for us and right in line with
 JB> the White House.�

 JB> �At this point Lieberman cannot expect to just keep his seniority,�
said
 JB> the aide. �He can�t run against a Democrat and expect to waltz back to
 JB> the caucus with the same seniority as before. It would give the view
 JB> that the Senate is a country club rather than representative of a
 JB> political party and political movement.�

 JB> The aide said that it would make no sense to keep Lieberman in a
 JB> position where he might take over the Governmental Affairs Committee.

 JB> Ironically, a lawmaker with a good shot of replacing Lieberman atop the
 JB> Governmental Affairs panel, Sen. Tom Carper (D-Del.), is spearheading
 JB> the effort within the Senate to preserve Democratic support for
 JB> Lieberman. Carper is the third most senior Democrat on the panel after
 JB> Lieberman. But the two Democrats who outrank him, Sens. Carl Levin
 JB> (Mich.) and Daniel Akaka (Hawaii) are likely to keep their perches as
 JB> the most senior Democrats on the Armed Services Committee and Veterans
 JB> Affairs Committee, respectively.

 JB> Carper�s chief of staff, Jonathan Jones, has contacted Democratic aides
 JB> recently and urged them that the Democratic Senatorial Campaign
 JB> Committee should not spend money in the race between Lieberman and
 JB> Lamont, said two Democratic aides familiar with the conversations. Jones
 JB> said the money would be better spent elsewhere since the seat will
 JB> remain in Democratic hands, said the sources.

 JB> Carper, who like Lieberman often works across the aisle with
 JB> Republicans, is one of a handful of Democratic centrists who have
 JB> continued to support Lieberman since his primary defeat. The others
 JB> include Sen. Ken Salazar (Colo.), Mark Pryor (Ark.), Ben Nelson (Neb.)
 JB> and Daniel Inouye (D-Hawaii).

 JB> Bill Ghent, Carper�s spokesman, said that Jones �has been on vacation
 JB> the last week and a half and has not been out there advocating what
 JB> anyone should do regarding the Connecticut election.�

 JB> The view that Lieberman should lose his seniority is likely to become
 JB> more ingrained among Democrats if Lieberman continues to align himself
 JB> with Republicans, as he has in the last few days. Lieberman took a call
 JB> from senior White House political strategist Karl Rove on the day of his
 JB> primary election. And since losing, he has adopted rhetoric echoing
 JB> Republican talking points.

 JB> �If we pick up like Ned Lamont wants us to do, get out by a date
 JB> certain, it will be taken as a tremendous victory by the same people who
 JB> wanted to blow up these planes in this plot hatched in England,�
 JB> Lieberman said about U.S. troops in Iraq and the recently foiled
 JB> terrorism scheme. �It will strengthen them, and they will strike
again.�

 JB> In June, 38 Democrats and Sen. James Jeffords (I-Vt.) voted for a
 JB> resolution sponsored by Sen. Levin that called for Bush to take several
 JB> steps to change the �open ended commitment� of U.S. forces.

 JB> On the same day, 12 Democrats and Jeffords voted for another resolution
 JB> requiring the redeployment of U.S. forces from Iraq.

 JB> Sen. Russ Feingold (Wis.), a Democrat who voted for both resolutions,
 JB> called Lieberman�s statement �regrettable� and said Lieberman
�doesn�t
 JB> get it.�

 JB> Democratic National Committee chairman Howard Dean has likened
 JB> Lieberman�s recent statements to the rhetoric coming from Vice President
 JB> Dick Cheney and Republican National Committee Chairman Ken Mehlman.

 JB> Asked yesterday about the race, Dean said, �Ned will win,� adding that
 JB> Democratic turnout for Lamont will help the party in other Connecticut
 JB> races.

 JB> Lieberman is expected to make a hard sell to Republican voters. Sean
 JB> Smith, who stepped down as Lieberman�s campaign manager after the
 JB> primary, told Lieberman as he was resigning that the candidate would
 JB> have to pursue Republican voters in order to win the general election,
 JB> said sources familiar with the conversation.

 JB> Lieberman said he agreed with the analysis, according to the sources.

 JB> So far, at least 26 Democratic senators have said they are supporting
 JB> Lamont, including Reid, according to a survey conducted by The Hill.
 JB> Reid spokesman Jim Manley said Democratic leaders would make no
 JB> decisions about committees until after the election.

 JB> Jonathan E. Kaplan and Tyler Kirtley contributed to this article.

 JB> --- PCBoard (R) v15.3/M 10
 JB>  * Origin:  (1:226/600)

--- Thunderbird 1.5.0.5 (Windows/20060719)
 * Origin:  (1:123/789.0)