Möte POLITICS, 29554 texter
Skriven 2006-09-22 19:52:00 av Jeff Binkley (1:226/600)
Ärende: The Slickster
=====================
They trot old Bill out to comment on Iraq.  Nice.  They are getting
desperate.   Their message isn't sticking and if they lose the Iraq
issue they have nothing left....

============================

http://www.examiner.com/a-
303482~Meet_the_Next_President__Hillary_Clinton_remains_coy_about_run.ht
ml

WASHINGTON - Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, the most dominant figure in
the crowded field of Democrats and Republicans mulling a White House bid
in 2008, is also the coyest about her intentions.

“I am not thinking about that at all,ö the New York Democrat insisted on
ABC last week. “I know everybody else is and lots of other people are
saying, ‘Oh, she is, she is,’ but the truth is, I don’t think about it.
I haven’t made any decision about it because that’s not how I think and
how I work.ö

Her assertion was seconded by former President Bill Clinton.

“She hasn’t made up her mind, and I know that to be the truth,ö he told
the network. “We talk about it, and I’ve urged her to think as little
about it as possible.ö

Pundits find it hard to believe that the only person in the political
universe who is not contemplating a presidential campaign by Hillary
Clinton is, well, Hillary Clinton. That’s because when she’s on the
stump, she sounds very much like someone who is running for president.

“Stand up! Stand up for progressive values and progressive politics!ö
she exhorted the Take Back America conference in June. “Let’s take back
the Congress in November and begin our return-to take back our country.ö

With scorching rhetoric, the former first lady implored Democrats to
counter the “right-wing Washington Republicans who are determined to set
this country on a disastrous path.ö

“But we’ve got to win elections, or it won’t matter,ö she warned. “We
have to be smarter, tougher and better-prepared than our opponents.
Because one thing they do know how to do is win.ö

Actually, Clinton also knows how to win. She was intimately involved in
her husband’s two successful presidential campaigns and spent eight
years inside the White House as a hands-on strategist in the daily power
struggle against Republicans.

“She is a smart person and obviously has got a lot of experience,ö
President Bush said recently. “It is helpful, to a certain extent, to
have seen the presidency and presidential campaigns firsthand.ö

After leaving the White House, Clinton defied legions of naysayers by
winning the Senate seat in New York on her first try. To some extent,
her years in the Senate have softened the caricature of a first lady who
once famously claimed to be the victim of a “vast, right-wing
conspiracy.ö

Though Clinton is rated as 100 percent liberal by Americans for
Democratic Action, she has attempted to position herself as a moderate.
For example, she voted to authorize the Iraq war and opposes a specific
timetable for withdrawing U.S. troops.

“I’ve taken a lot of heat from my friends who have said, ‘Please, just
throw in the towel and say let’s get out by a date certain,’ ö she told
ABC. “I don’t think that’s responsible.ö

This stance has allowed Democratic rivals such as Sen. John Kerry, Sen.
Russ Feingold and former Sen. John Edwards to run to the left of Clinton
by endorsing withdrawal timetables. Some rank-and-file Democrats refuse
to support Clinton until she does the same, opening a rift that could
hurt the party’s chances in 2008.

“It would really be crazy if the anti-war element of our party thought
that the most important thing to do was to beat up on the Democrats, and
gave the Republicans a free ride,ö an exasperated Bill Clinton told the
New Yorker. “This deal with Iraq makes me want to throw up. I’m sick and
tired of being told that if you voted for authorization, you voted for
the war. It was a mistake, and I would have made it, too.ö

While the former president is willing to call his wife’s vote a
“mistake,’ she stops short of using the “m-word.ö

“I can only look at what I knew at the time because I don’t think you
get do-overs in life,ö she told ABC. “I think you have to take
responsibility and hopefully learn from it and go forward.ö

By contrast, Kerry told The Examiner his vote for the Iraq war was a
“mistake.ö Edwards told the paper his vote for the war was “wrong.ö

Hillary Clinton was the only Democrat who declined to be interviewed for
a profile in “Meet the Next President,ö The Examiner’s two-week series
on White House hopefuls.

“Thank you for both the interest and the opportunity, but Senator
Clinton remains focused on being the best senator she can be for the
people of New York,ö said her press secretary, Philippe Reines.

Clinton’s official position is that she’s too busy campaigning for re-
election to her Senate seat in November to contemplate a presidential
bid. But she is widely expected to win by a landslide in November and is
sitting on an enormous political war chest that she can spend on a White
House campaign.

“She’ll have all the money that anyone’s ever wanted to have to run for
president more than perhaps we can even comprehend,ö said Ark. Gov. Mike
Huckabee, who is considering his own run for the Republican nomination.
“It will be sobering, if not staggering.ö

Clinton has tapped the formidable fundraising prowess of Terry
McAuliffe, former chairman of the Democratic National Committee, who

could help her raise $100 million or more in 2007 alone. McAuliffe told
the Hill newspaper this week that he would play a “huge roleö in her
presidential campaign.

“I was a Girl Scout; I believe in being prepared,ö Clinton said of her
penchant for fundraising. “I don’t want anybody to take advantage of me,
or I don’t want anybody to think I’m taking anything for granted.ö

Such preparations add to the air of invincibility of a Clinton
nomination. She already holds double-digit leads over all rivals in
Democratic preference polls.

And yet many Democrats privately fret over whether Clinton is too
polarizing to win the general election. Some are even beginning to feel
twinges of “buyer’s remorse.ö

“You do hear people saying, ‘I hope she doesn’t run,’ ö said David
Yepsen of the Des Moines Register.

When the newspaper polled Democrats on their presidential preferences
last summer, Clinton was beaten by Edwards, who projects a more upbeat
persona.

“I still think there’s a possibility that, after she wins re-election,
she sits down and makes a very cold, methodical assessment of her
chances,ö Yepsen said. “She is a pretty good politician in that regard.

“And she may conclude: ‘You know, I really couldn’t do this, I couldn’t
go the distance,’ ö the columnist added. “And so there’s a piece of me
that says she may not pull the trigger.ö

Some Democrats worry that Bill Clinton will prove a liability to his
wife’s presidential ambitions by reminding America of his affair with
White House intern Monica Lewinsky and subsequent impeachment. Others
say the former president has the singular ability to outshine his wife’s
political skills.

“Mrs. Clinton may be the only Democrat in America who cannot look at
Bill Clinton as an unalloyed political asset,ö The New York Times wrote
in a front-page story in May.

The story raised eyebrows by seeming to hint darkly about the Clintons’
marriage. It said they spend a lot of time apart and described “Mr.
Clinton leaving B.L.T. Steak in Midtown Manhattan late one night after
dining with a group that included Belinda Stronach, a Canadian
politician.ö

Hillary Clinton insisted the Times story did not bother her.

“Not at all,ö she told ABC. “I just don’t pay any attention to it; I
really don’t. My attitude is I have no control over what somebody wants
to talk about or write about.ö

Bill Clinton told The New Yorker he would be a liability to his wife’s
presidential bid “only if people thought she wouldn’t be her own person.
And I don’t think that will be a problem.ö

But even as her own person, Hillary Clinton would almost certainly face
new questions about old scandals that dogged her during the 1990s.

Yepsen said Iowa Democrats tell him: “I don’t want to replay the Rose
Law Firm and all that. I don’t want to pick up where we left off at the
end of Bill Clinton’s presidency.ö

Both Bush and White House political strategist Karl Rove said Hillary
Clinton will probably win the Democratic primary and then lose the
general election. Rove said there is a “brittleness about herö that
diminishes her appeal to voters.

“For somebody who is philosophically very liberal, she’ll be a very
cautious candidate at times,ö he said. “That cautiousness will serve her
well a lot of times not always, but a lot of times.ö

Bill Clinton told The New Yorker: “I’m sick of Karl Rove’s bull----.ö
His wife agreed.

“Maybe because Bill and I have been through so many elections we know
that Democrats have to fight back that you can’t assume people will see
through the blizzard of negativity that is the hallmark of modern
Republican campaigns,ö she told the magazine. “When Democrats don’t
fight back, I don’t understand it. So that’s been a disappointment to
me, because of the results that, unfortunately, we’ve been stuck with
now.ö

If nothing else, Hillary Clinton is a fighter, which helps explain why
she is so far ahead of the pack at this early stage of the presidential
sweepstakes.

“The key is that she’s got to convince her own party that she can win a
general election,ö said Charlie Cook, publisher of Cook Political
Report. “And it’s a close call right now.ö

Hillary Diane Rodham Clinton

1947 » Born in Chicago, daughter of a textile executive

1965 » Graduates from Maine South High School in Park Ridge, Illinois

1969 » Graduates from Wellesley College, Massachusetts

1973 » Graduates from Yale Law School, Connecticut

1975 » Marries Bill Clinton

1976 » Joins Rose Law Firm, Little Rock, Arkansas

1978 » Becomes first lady of Arkansas

1979 » Makes partner

1980 » Daughter Chelsea born

1993 » Becomes first lady of U.S., named chair of health care task force

1996 » Publishes “It Takes a Village (and Other Lessons Children Teach
Us)ö

1998 » Blames “vast right-wing conspiracyö for allegations that
President Clinton had affair with White House intern Monica Lewinsky

2000 » Elected to U.S. Senate from New York

2003 » Publishes “Living History,ö a memoir

2006 » Runs for re-election to Senate

Clinton’s positions on the issues

Abortion

Rated 100 percent pro-choice by NARAL Pro-Choice America; zero percent
pro-life by National Right to Life.

Civil rights

“We owe an apology to African-Americans for hundreds of years of
slavery.ö

Gay marriage

Voted against constitutional ban. “We ought to be providing domestic
partnership benefits for people who are in homosexual and lesbian
relationships,ö she told CNN.

Iraq

Supported the invasion; opposes a withdrawal timetable; criticizes
shortcomings in President Bush’s post-Saddam plans.

Poverty

Ties the minimum wage to congressional salaries. No more increases for
Congress until we raise the minimum wage.

Taxes

Wants to raise taxes on upper-income earners. Rated 5 percent by
conservative Americans for Tax Reform.

Americans for Democratic Action rating (2005)

100 percent liberal.

American Conservative Union rating (2005)

9 percent conservative.

What observers are saying

David Yepsen

Political columnist

Des Moines Register

Pro - She sucks all the oxygen out of the room, she eclipses everybody
else. Her biggest asset is that rock-star status.

Con - She's a polarizing figure. Every Democrat that I talk to says
something like this: ‘I like Hillary Clinton, but.’ ö

Charlie Cook

Editor

Cook Political Report

PRO » “She is very, very smart, articulate, smooth. In the last few
years, she has become a polished performer. She can turn on the charm.ö

CON » “She has to overcome her caricature from the 1990s, and she can
never be 100 percent successful at that.ö

Larry Sabato

Political scientist, University of Virginia

PRO » “An enormous financial advantage plus the invaluable benefits of
White House experience.ö

CON » “The most divisive candidate in either party, polarizing the
nation with her liberal image and cold persona. Bill Clinton is also a
double-edged sword because people know he will be moving back into the
White House — with less to do.ö

After studying the polls, consulting the handicappers and interviewing
the candidates themselves, The Examiner has winnowed a list of some 30
potential presidential contenders down to 10. The result is Meet the
Next President, a two-week series of in-depth profiles of the 10 people
most likely to become the next leader of the free world. It's a behind-
the-scenes look at Democrats and Republicans, liberals and
conservatives, front-runners and dark horses in the 2008 presidential
sweepstakes - even before the 2006 midterms have been decided. With
presidential campaigns starting earlier each election cycle, why wait?

bsammon@dcexaminer.com

--- PCBoard (R) v15.3/M 10
 * Origin:  (1:226/600)