Möte POLITICS, 29554 texter
Skriven 2004-09-20 20:57:00 av Jeff Binkley (1:226/600)
Ärende: CBS
===========
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/09/06/politics/main641481.shtml

CBS: Bush Memo Story A 'Mistake'

NEW YORK, Sept. 20, 2004

CBS Document Controversy

(CBS/AP) CBS News said Monday it cannot prove the authenticity of
documents used in a 60 Minutes story about President Bush's National
Guard service and that airing the story was a "mistake" that CBS
regretted.

CBS News Anchor Dan Rather, the reporter of the original story,
apologized.

CBS News claimed a source had misled the network on the documents'
origins. The network pledged "an independent review of the process by
which the report was prepared and broadcast to help determine what
actions need to be taken."

In a statement, CBS said former Texas Guard official Bill Burkett "has
acknowledged that he provided the now-disputed documents" and "admits
that he deliberately misled the CBS News producer working on the report,
giving her a false account of the documents' origins to protect a
promise of confidentiality to the actual source."

Rather spoke with Burkett about the deception:

Dan Rather: "Why did you mislead us?"
Bill Burkett: "Well, I didn't totally mislead you. I misled you on the
one individual. You know your staff pressured me to a point to reveal
that source.
Rather: "Well, we were trying to get the chain of possession."
Burkett: "I understand that."
More of Rather questioning Burkett.

The network did not say the memoranda — purportedly written by one of
Mr. Bush's National Guard commanders — were forgeries. But the network
did say it could not authenticate the documents and that it should not
have reported them.

"Based on what we now know, CBS News cannot prove that the documents are
authentic, which is the only acceptable journalistic standard to justify
using them in the report," said the statement by CBS News President
Andrew Heyward. "We should not have used them. That was a mistake, which
we deeply regret.

"Nothing is more important to us than our credibility and keeping faith
with the millions of people who count on us for fair, accurate,
reliable, and independent reporting," Heyward continued. "We will
continue to work tirelessly to be worthy of that trust."

White House spokesman Scott McClellan said President Bush had seen the
CBS statement. "We appreciate that they (CBS) deeply regrets ... but
there are serious questions still to be answered,'' McClellan told CBS
News' Jeff Goldman.

Additional reporting on the documents will air on Monday's CBS Evening
News, including the interview of Burkett by Rather. CBS News pledged "an
independent review of the process by which the report was prepared and
broadcast to help determine what actions need to be taken."

In a separate statement, Rather said that "after extensive additional
interviews, I no longer have the confidence in these documents that
would allow us to continue vouching for them journalistically.

"I find we have been misled on the key question of how our source for
the documents came into possession of these papers," he said.

"We made a mistake in judgment, and for that I am sorry," Rather added.

The authenticity of the documents — four memoranda attributed to Guard
commander Lt. Col. Jerry Killian — has been under fire since they were
described in the Sept. 8 broadcast of 60 Minutes.

CBS had not previously revealed who provided the documents or how they
were obtained.

Burkett has previously alleged that in 1997 he witnessed allies of then-
Gov. Bush discussing the destruction of Guard files that might embarrass
Mr. Bush, who was considering a run for the presidency. Bush aides have
denied the charge.

In the statement, CBS said: "Burkett originally said he obtained the
documents from another former Guardsman. Now he says he got them from a
different source whose connection to the documents and identity CBS News
has been unable to verify to this point."

Questions about the president's National Guard service have lingered for
years. Some critics question how Mr. Bush got into the Guard when there
were waiting lists of young men hoping to join it to escape the draft
and possible service in Vietnam.

In the Sept. 8 60 Minutes report, former Texas Lt. Gov. Ben Barnes — a
Democrat — claimed that, at the behest of a friend of the Bush family,
he pulled strings to get young George W. Bush into the Guard.

Other questions concern why Mr. Bush missed a physical in 1972, and why
there are scant records of any service by Mr. Bush during the latter
part of 1972, a period during which he transferred to an Alabama guard
unit so he could work on a campaign there.

The CBS documents suggested that Mr. Bush had disobeyed a direct order
to attend the physical, and that there were other lapses in his
performance. One memo also indicated that powerful allies of the Bush
family were pressuring the guard to "sugar coat" any investigation of
Lt. Bush's service.

Skeptics immediately seized on the typing in the memos, which included a
superscripted "th" not found on all 1970s-era typewriters. As the
controversy raged, CBS broadcast interviews with experts who said that
some typewriters from that period could have produced the markings in
question.

Other critics saw factual errors in the documents, stylistic differences
with other writing by Killian and incorrect military lingo.

Some relatives of Col. Killian disputed that the memos were real. His
former secretary said the sentiments regarding Mr. Bush's failures as an
officer were genuine, but the documents were not.

Some document experts whom CBS consulted for the story told newspapers
they had raised doubts before the broadcast and were ignored. CBS
disputed their accounts, pointing to the main document expert the
network consulted, Marcel Matley.

Matley insisted he had vouched for the authenticity of the signatures on
the memos, but had not determined whether the documents themselves were
genuine.

Last week, CBS News stood by its reporting while vowing to continue
working the story. The network acknowledged there were questions about
the documents and pledged to try to answer them.

Mr. Bush maintains that he did not get special treatment in getting into
the Guard, and that he fulfilled all duties. He was honorably
discharged.

On Saturday, a White House official said Mr. Bush has reviewed the
disputed documents that purport to show he refused orders to take a
physical examination in 1972, and did not recall having seen them
previously.

In his first public comment on the documents controversy, the president
told The Union Leader of Manchester, N.H., "There are a lot of questions
about the documents, and they need to be answered."

The Bush campaign has alleged that their Democratic rivals were somehow
involved in the story. John Kerry's campaign denies it. In an email
revealed last week, Burkett said he had contacted the Kerry campaign but
received no response.

Meanwhile, a federal judge has ordered the Pentagon to find and make
public by next week any unreleased files about Mr. Bush's Vietnam-era
Air National Guard service to resolve a Freedom of Information Act
lawsuit filed by the Associated Press.

The White House and Defense Department have on several occasions claimed
that they had released all the documents only to make additional records
available later on.

--- PCBoard (R) v15.3/M 10
 * Origin:  (1:226/600)