Möte POL_INC, 14731 texter
Skriven 2010-05-04 07:47:00 av WAYNE CHIRNSIDE (1:123/140)
     Kommentar till en text av ROSS CASSELL
Ärende: Re: Citizens United rulin
=================================
-=> ROSS CASSELL wrote to WAYNE CHIRNSIDE <=-

HELLO ROSS :-) !!!

 RC> Hello WAYNE!

 RC> 03 May 10 13:30, you wrote to me:

 RC>> What would have ever made you think the commandlines of one
 RC>> distribution is different from another, especially with the most
 RC>> popular shell in use, ie BASH?

 WC> Uh because some of the very important ones ARE!

 WC> Try rm filename on knoppix, it'll ask "are you sure you want to delete
 WC> this file? y/n"

 WC> IOW's rm -i in Slackware.

 RC> and you do not consider for a single minute that the distro maintainers
 RC> for each Linux flavor, used different defaults in the .bashrc files,
 RC> bash.bashrc files or in profile?????????

 RC> You are certainly aware of the alias function, arent you?

 WC> Not knowing this one little alias for rm in Knoppix wiped out my OS
 WC> one time transitioning form one to another.

 RC> Yup you do..

 RC> The ignorance was your own..

 WC> Unlike you I do NOT offer advice not knowing what I'm talking about
 WC> such as your catastrophic advice as to removing the video card and
 WC> rebooting linux Slackware before you admiitted to Maurice you were
 WC> actually trying it for the first time.

 RC> I was not trying to duplicate your issue, quit rewriting history.

 RC> I installed slack to prove to you it was not as hard as you made it out
 RC> to be, and to Maurice in hopes he would stop coddling you.

Strawman, make a claim I didn't and proceed to refute.

Installing it is nothing but follow the script.

Your advice before this attempted diversion, remove video card
and reboot.
Congradulations you've just won about 3,000 corrupted files!

Setting it up correctly is an entirely other matter manually editing
any number of files so as to run dual monitors and booting to any of
4 native and two swap files across two physical drives.

Each one completely isolated from one another and each completely independently
bootable so as to remain ROCK SOLID reliable.

 RC> My Linux experience is Red Hat, Mandrake, Suse (3 incarnations) (all
 RC> not DEBIAN variants..) Then I played with Knoppix, Xandros, Gentoo and
 RC> then Ubuntu (DEBIAN variants).. Then Slackware..

Don't worry, you'll find one eventually.

 WC> Then you berated me for not being able to follow the advice, "remove
 WC> video card" "reboot" as too complex for me to understand.

 RC> To see you write, sometimes that is true.

For four years it was true, I had a _neurological event_ in deference
to your claim I didn't have a stroke.

I followed that advice, it wiped out my system almost completely
corrupting the entire then only single hard drive
and then just a tad bit more than I'd anticipated causing the system
to limp along for over three months.

 RC>> Troubleshooting 101:
 RC>> * What happened or what were you doing when the problem started?
 RC>> * Hardware added or removed?
 RC>> * Software added or removed?
 RC>> * Setting added, removed or altered?

 WC> Well let's just agree I will not be taking any of your advice in
 WC> future. Someoine went to bat for you private email that you were well
 WC> intentioned but underinformed.

 RC> Trouble shooting 101 Wayne, you failed.

Repeat this new catch phrase as often as you like however
it breaks down to this, I simply followed your advice
and had an epic fail just as I'd maintained would occur.

It amused me to do so at the time as I'd not counted upon
not having a working set of installation disks at hand.

I no longer have a need for such.
mount -o loop -t iso9660 iso_name_of_release.iso /tmp
then install packages, compile and reboot.

 WC> I don't know which side of that equation to fall on.

 WC> Demonstrably you enjoy kicking a man when he's down.
 WC> Stroked as I was formerly.

 RC> Exactly how does one kick in a message?

Posting Pinellas County Florida open records misdomeaner record files?
The very specific URL?

Claiming I'm a "Convict" when the MISDOMEANER trespassing charges were DROPPED
having never been justified in the first place?

Having "templates" made up saying "Hello Convict" and "Hello FELON"
when in fact I've never had a felony arrest nor spent day one in prison?

Posting above said booking photo on your web site of a man barely able to stand
put
through that BS illlgal arrest and booking on your web site?

Claiming without a clue I was fleeing and eluding when crippled by a retarded
rookie cop in wreakless disregard for the safety of others as he tailgated me
at 2 feet for ten blocks of congested traffic U.S. 19 while legally driving my
motorcycle.

Diagnosing my stroke as never having had occurred.

Advising me "against the medical advice of the Center for Disease
Control in Atlanta Georgia" to go to the doctor for a case of the Flu.

Thereby accomplishing nothing more than a waste of money but exposing others,
many others on the public transit system to a potentially fatal case
of swine flu should someone elderly or with compromised immune
system acquire it in the confined area of a municipal bus?

No thanks, I followed the CDC's advice intstead.
See they are medically certified.

You ASKED how do you kick a man when he's down, I merely am complying wiith
your
request to enumerate just _some_ of those occassions.

Posting a private netmail publicly in the Linux echo I'd sent private
netmail getting me booted both from Fidotel BBS ( permanent)
and Linux ( temporary) until it was pointed out to the moderator Scott Little
it was YOU and not I that posted that private netmail publicly.

 RC>> I installed Slack on a spare box just to see why you were talking
 RC>> it up as if it is the hardest thing to do, which it isnt.

 WC>> IOW's you had no idea what you were talking about.

 RC> Troubleshooting 101 Wayne, you failed..

You just admitted to giving advice on an O.S. you'd never used.
AGAIN.

On hardware you'd previously admitted to never having had experience with.

When I posted "someone" was misrepresenting me by posting under my name
from "Eastern Star" you replied "I did not."

I'd not named anyone.

I said "someone"
You replied "I did not"

 RC> Then again, I am talking to someone that thinks Windows malware can
 RC> execute on linux.

No, another thing you've made up for the sole reason of refuting
your own strawman.

A BOOT sector infector CAN and did jump drives onto the master Linux
slaved Windows dual boot system.

It did it not once, not twice but three times in fact.

 RC>> Only thing you need to know is their ISO's come with a very
 RC>> workable linux setup, similiar to how knoppix did things..

 WC> Knoppix looked too much like WinBlows and basically IMO sucked unless
 WC> you're not serious about your Linux.

 RC> There is no halfway with Linux Wayne, you either are running it, or
 RC> your not..

There is but ONE time I was running it horribly mangled but running, after
following your advice.

Other than that it's always run perfectly fine.

RC> You are in no position, neither is Maurice, to issue litmus tests on
 RC> what Linux puritanism is..

Actually Maurice would get my vote for the most adept at the command line
hands down.

Of those I know in the fidonet community, a small pool to be sure,
and growing smaller by the minute.

 RC> If you are worrying about what it *looks* like, then you are spending
 RC> way too much time inside X..

 RC> On many occasions, I turned X off and did all I wanted from the CLI..

My aren't you special?
Like I and others  do not?

And all your "advice" amounted to was "remove the video card and reboot",
given the described overwrite of dualing BIOS on said card and the default
Motherboard plus what I'd observed it was obvious following your
advice would be an epic fail and it was.

Troubleshooting "101 starts" with understanding the problem *then*
addressing the issues and not just randomly jumping to conclusions
then plugging and unplugging stuff.

Yesterday I bought two MORE 64 bit machines, an AMD 64 and an Intel
dual core 64 used.

Total cost of THREE 64 bit systems now $65 cash.

One worked out of the box 100 percent.

Today I've swapped around drives and excepting the ONE dead DVD - CD-ROM RW
burner and one dead DVD drive all function.

Well now the IBM lacks but the one CD-ROM and second physical drive
and I've THREE dual core 64 bit  computers

ALL now WORKING and tested by booting to an old Slack 12.2 CD
I booted to just to check out everything.

A bit of looking about with lspci, usb, dmidecode, ect shows all is
well.

I'd just love to see your "troubleshooting 101" applied to say the high voltage
section of an old CRT style color T.V.

"Troubleshoot 101" one of those and make an error and you wind
up on the other side of the room.

Yes, it happened to me, when I was 13.

From that time forward right up until today my troubleshooting skills have been
plenty accurate and never employ the guess and reboot scenerio you laid out.

Too be fair to myself as regards to the incident when I was 13 I DID
sucessfully repair one of the earliest color T.V's there was but the circuit
diagram inside the cabinet DID say that part I grabbed was at ground
potential.
NOT, it carried the full B+ to the anode.

ROUND CRT called a kinescope without even benefit of safety glass
and the H.V. rectifier tossed off a fair amount of X-rays as well.

Yup, in ONE DAY I've gone from having but ONE 1998 Pentium II
to four fully functioning computers all but one of which is
running  64 bit dual processors.

Now when I upgrade it'll be absolutely unnecessary unless
as is rather likely I offer up one or more of these boxes for discount say
$60 - $80 for my time and effort to the disabled.

I just got really lucky catching the man short of time with a bulk purchase
of used systems in where he had to as a good busnessman prioritized
his clients over making a killing rehabalititating these $20 dollar
boxes and hanging a $175 price tag on them.

Two of them are actually rather pretty and not marked up or in any
way damaged at all.

The first Gateway and one of three quite supremely capable boxes
is just a plain butt ugly chassis missing it's front cover and now discarded
DVD - CD-ROM but they ALL work now.

Yeah, two days.
Three systems.
All 64 bit.
All Linux.
All three $65 from my local dealer with receipts to prove it.

Oh and you did once rather get another small matter wrong.
Something to do with Iraq.

Not that there were any sort of consequences to that error...

But I shall not bring up politics in Pol_Inc as you've a habit of banishing me
for having political views, especially when it turns out I was correct.

Hey did we ever decide if was actually one of MY posts and not one of
those fraudulently posted in my name originating from "Eastern Star"?

I mean you never actually did cite the actual post that won me the ban
from fidonews.

Was it even one of mine?

No idea, you didn't cite it.
Was it one of the frauds originating from what you then called
a BBS?

I'll never know, you didn't cite the post so I had no opportunity
to observe the origin line.

See I recalled your correcting me.
You no longer run a BBS ( per yourself) but rather an NNTPD server.

Coffee is calling.

Nothing but fully functioning computers wherever I look in the apartment
these days.

Definately time for a sale!

You want to know the funny thing?

Tell you anyway.

Three super high speed systems at my disposal
and I'm still using the old now largely ripped apart
1998 IBM computer with Slack 13.0

In a day or three I'll evaluate the best of the rest
and use that hereafter.

Wanna bet it turns out to be the butt ugly Gateway with dual
core 64 bit 2.8 Gig processors sans front plastic fixture?

Oh and the E-machine, it's a Gateway too.

Must have been an overstocked motherboard item
to have wound up in an E-machine branded box, all Intel inside
including the motherboard.

Now the AMD, well that's just a WAY cool white box and one screaming
machine!!!

Nice solid full ATX tower and way mad performance!

Have a GREAT day Ross!

... MultiMail, the new multi-platform, multi-format offline reader!
--- MultiMail/Linux v0.49
 * Origin: Doc's Place BBS Fido Since 1991 docsplace.tzo.com (1:123/140)