Möte POL_INC, 14731 texter
Skriven 2006-09-30 21:04:00 av ROSS SAUER (1:123/140)
Ärende: Foley
=============
The Foley case really isn't about if Foley is gay, or not.
*THIS* is what is important, how GOP leaders in the House covered up a
pervert.
A pervert who was in charge of "ensuring childrens' safety."

GOP House leaders speak out against Internet predators

(updated below - updated again re: Denny Hastert's statement)

As noted in the post below, one of the laws which Mark Foley appears to
have violated is the so-called "Adam Walsh Child Protection Act of 2006"
which, among other things, increases penalties for adults who use the
Internet to discuss or solicit sexual acts with "minors" (defined as an
"individual who has not attained the age of 18 years"). GOP leaders
hailed this law as a vital tool in protecting our nation's children
against Internet predators:

Denny Hastert, who said the Act was critical in "preventing child
exploitation, stopping child pornography and creating new criminal
offense penalties protecting children from the Internet," proclaimed:

"At home, we put the security of our children first and Republicans are
doing just that in our nation’s House. We’ve all seen the disturbing
headlines about sex offenders and crimes against children. These crimes
cannot persist. Protecting our children from Internet predators and
child exploitation enterprises are just as high a priority as securing
our border from terrorists. . . That’s why today we passed the Adam
Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act of 2006."

Majority Leader John Boehner similarly intoned in referring to passage
of the Act:

House Republicans have a record of working to strengthen our communities
and protect American values. So far this year, House Republicans have
approved legislation that protects our children from Internet predators
and violent criminal offenders; improves communications capabilities of
first responders and emergency personnel; and guarantees Americans’
freedom to display the American flag and recite the Pledge of
Allegiance.

As much as anything else, that is what this scandal is about -- GOP
House Leaders prancing around as the Protectors of our nation's children
from Internet Predators while, at the same time, apparently knowing that
there was such a predator in their midst. And they not only failed to do
anything about it, but they actively worked to conceal the behavior (by,
as noted below, ensuring that all Democrats -- including even the
Democrat on the House Page Board -- were blocked from learning about
these accusations). As Hastert put it at the top of his Press Release
(emphasis in original): "At home we put children first, and Republicans
are doing just that in the House."

UPDATE: From George W. Bush, President of the United States, when he
signed the Act into law:

And the bill I sign today will strengthen federal laws to protect our
children from sexual and other violent crimes, will help prevent child
pornography, and will make the Internet safer for our sons and
daughters. . . .

Protecting our children is our solemn responsibility. It's what we must
do. When a child's life or innocence is taken it is a terrible loss --
it's an act of unforgivable cruelty. Our society has a duty to protect
our children from exploitation and danger. By enacting this law we're
sending a clear message across the country: those who prey on our
children will be caught, prosecuted and punished to the fullest extent
of the law.

Republicans decided in this bill that the "minors" we have to protect
from predatory behavior on the Internet means anyone under the age of 18
years. Yet self-evidently lurid and sexually suggestive emails sent by a
leading GOP Congressman to a 16-year-old page certainly didn't seem to
move them to do very much -- other than work to conceal the behavior so
that the predator could remain in Congress, surrounded by other
vulnerable American children sent to Washington, D.C. by their parents.

UPDATE II: As Renato notes in Comments, isn't it about time for Glenn
Reynolds, Michael Barnone, Fred Barnes and all of the objective-
independent-two-sided media political pundits to start explaining how
this scandal hurts the Democrats and how it's a win-win for Republicans?
Somehow, I'm absolutely sure it's the case that this scandal presents
Democrats with the terrible dilemma of having to satisfy their rabid
left-wing base without alienating the normal Americans who will
naturally side with the Republicans here. How that works in this case
will undoubtedly be explained to us very shortly. Check here and here
for updates.

UPDATE III: One of the strangest and most incriminating aspects of this
story is the excuse being proffered by the GOP House Protectors of
Children that they didn't do anything about Foley because the parents of
the page with whom he exchanged the emails didn't want it pursued. For
one thing, as Josh Marshall notes, the fact that they wanted to
investigate further but didn't because of the parents' wishes by itself
proves that the knew there was something to investigate. Why didn't they
investigate further: talk to other pages, determine -- as seems to have
been the case -- whether there were rumors around that Foley had engaged
in predatory behavior repeatedly rather than in just one case? There
were plenty of steps they could have and should have taken to
investigate.

Moreover, the fact that the parents of this one page did not want to
pursue the issue further is hardly a reason for GOP House leaders to do
nothing. As former prosecutor Christy Hardin Smith rightly points out,
by doing nothing, they knowingly endangered all of the other pages in
Congress. Their responsibility here was to the other children who serve
as pages as well as to the one page in question. By doing nothing --
even failing to investigate meaningfully -- they endangered the welfare
of every child-page on the Hill. What justifies that? As Denny Hastert
said: "At home, we put the security of our children first and
Republicans are doing just that in our nation’s House."

UPDATE IV: Josh Marshall has the statement released by Denny Hastert. I
think Hastert is in a lot of trouble here. First, John Boehner said he
told Hastert about Foley, then Boehner changed his story, and Hastert's
office flatly denied Hastert knew. But today, Tom Reynolds emphatically
said that he also told Hastert about this months ago, directly
contradicting Hastert's denials.

With regard to Hastert's story, ask yourselves these question: (1) even
if everything happened the way Hastert claims, does that sound more like
an attempt to "investigate" Foley's wrongdoing or cover it up?; (2)
given that several high-ranking members of Hastert's staff were
coordinating the handling of the page's complaint about Foley, is it
even remotely possible that Hastert didn't learn of this -- wouldn't
complaints about a GOP Congressman's conduct regarding a Congressional
page be something they would tell Hastert?; (3) Hastert says he has no
reason to doubt Reynolds' claim that he spoke to Hastert about this, but
Hastert just doesn't recall that. If Rep. Reynolds told Hastert that a
Congressional page and his parents complained about Foley's behavior and
insisted that he not contact the page again, isn't that something
Hastert would remember?

Then there is this statement from Rep. Dale Kildee, the Democratic
member of the House Page Board, who says: "any statement by Mr. Reynolds
or anyone else that the House Page Board ever investigated Mr. Foley is
completely untrue. I was never informed of the allegations about Mr.
Foley's inappropriate communications with a House Page and I was never
involved in any inquiry into this matter."

That remains the most incriminating fact in my view -- they purposely
excluded the Democratic member of the Board from knowing about these
accusations to ensure that the accusations would remain concealed and un-
investigated.

posted by Glenn Greenwald | 4:08 PM

http://glenngreenwald.blogspot.com/2006/09/gop-house-leaders-speak-out-
against.html

From Archae's Roost, Sheboygan, WI

þ CMPQwk 1.42 16554 þ
 * Origin: Try Our Web Based QWK: DOCSPLACE.ORG (1:123/140)