Möte POL_INC, 14731 texter
Skriven 2006-12-20 16:44:00 av ROSS SAUER (1:123/140)
Ärende: Bush "the decider"
==========================
If they are not winning, why the (bleep) does Crusader Bunnypants want
to send even *MORE* troops into Iraq?

Obvious answer: To delay until he leaves the mess he made there, and let
the next guy clean it up.
Like always.

U.S. Not Winning War in Iraq, Bush Says for 1st Time
President Plans to Expand Army, Marine Corps To Cope With Strain of
Multiple Deployments

By Peter Baker
Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, December 20, 2006; A01

President Bush acknowledged for the first time yesterday that the United
States is not winning the war in Iraq and said he plans to expand the
overall size of the "stressed" U.S. armed forces to meet the challenges
of a long-term global struggle against terrorists.

As he searches for a new strategy for Iraq, Bush has now adopted the
formula advanced by his top military adviser to describe the situation.
"We're not winning, we're not losing," Bush said in an interview with
The Washington Post. The assessment was a striking reversal for a
president who, days before the November elections, declared,
"Absolutely, we're winning."

In another turnaround, Bush said he has ordered Defense Secretary Robert
M. Gates to develop a plan to increase the troop strength of the Army
and Marine Corps, heeding warnings from the Pentagon and Capitol Hill
that multiple deployments in Iraq and Afghanistan are stretching the
armed forces toward the breaking point. "We need to reset our military,"
said Bush, whose administration had opposed increasing force levels as
recently as this summer.

But in a wide-ranging session in the Oval Office, the president said he
interpreted the Democratic election victories six weeks ago not as a
mandate to bring the U.S. involvement in Iraq to an end but as a call to
find new ways to make the mission there succeed. He confirmed that he is
considering a short-term surge in troops in Iraq, an option that top
generals have resisted out of concern that it would not help.

A substantial military expansion will take years and would not
immediately affect the war in Iraq. But it would begin to address the
growing alarm among commanders about the state of the armed forces.
Although the president offered no specifics, other U.S. officials said
the administration is preparing plans to bolster the nation's permanent
active-duty military with as many as 70,000 additional troops.

A force structure expansion would accelerate the already-rising costs of
war. The administration is drafting a supplemental request for more than
$100 billion in additional funds for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan,
on top of the $70 billion already approved for this fiscal year,
according to U.S. officials. That would be over 50 percent more than
originally projected for fiscal 2007, making it by far the costliest
year since the 2003 invasion.

Since the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, Congress has approved more than
$500 billion for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as for
terrorism-related operations elsewhere. An additional $100 billion would
bring overall expenditures to $600 billion, exceeding those for the
Vietnam War, which, adjusted for inflation, cost $549 billion, according
to the Congressional Research Service.

For all the money, commanders have grown increasingly alarmed about the
burden of long deployments and the military's ability to handle a
variety of threats around the world simultaneously. Gen. Peter J.
Schoomaker, the Army's chief of staff, warned Congress last week that
the active-duty Army "will break" under the strain of today's war-zone
rotations. Former secretary of state Colin L. Powell, a retired chairman
of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said on CBS News's "Face the Nation" on
Sunday that "the active Army is about broken."

Democrats have been calling for additional troops for years. Sen. John
F. Kerry (D-Mass.) proposed an increase of 40,000 troops during his 2004
campaign against Bush, only to be dismissed by the administration. As
recently as June, the Bush administration opposed adding more troops
because restructuring "is enabling our military to get more war-fighting
capability from current end strength."

But Bush yesterday had changed his mind. "I'm inclined to believe that
we do need to increase our troops -- the Army, the Marines," he said.
"And I talked about this to Secretary Gates, and he is going to spend
some time talking to the folks in the building, come back with a
recommendation to me about how to proceed forward on this idea."

In describing his decision, Bush tied it to the broader struggle against
Islamic extremists around the world rather than to Iraq specifically.
"It is an accurate reflection that this ideological war we're in is
going to last for a while and that we're going to need a military that's
capable of being able to sustain our efforts and to help us achieve
peace," he said.

Bush chose a different term than Powell. "I haven't heard the word
'broken,' " he said, "but I've heard the word, 'stressed.' . . . We need
to reset our military. There's no question the military has been used a
lot. And the fundamental question is, 'Will Republicans and Democrats be
able to work with the administration to assure our military and the
American people that we will position our military so that it is ready
and able to stay engaged in a long war?' "

Democrats pounced on Bush's comments. "I am glad he has realized the
need for increasing the size of the armed forces . . . but this is where
the Democrats have been for two years," said Rep. Rahm Emanuel (Ill.),
the new House Democratic Caucus chairman. Kerry issued a statement
calling Bush's move a "pragmatic step needed to deal with the warnings
of a broken military," but he noted that he opposes increasing troops in
Iraq. Even before news of Bush's interview, Rep. Ike Skelton (D-Mo.),
incoming chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, told reporters
that the military is "bleeding" and "we have to apply the tourniquet and
strengthen the forces."

The Army has already temporarily increased its force level from 482,000
active-duty soldiers in 2001 to 507,000 today and soon to 512,000. But
the Army wants to make that 30,000-soldier increase permanent and then
add between 20,000 and 40,000 more on top of that, according to military
and civilian officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity. Every
additional 10,000 soldiers would cost about $1.2 billion a year,
according to the Army. Because recruitment and training take time,
officials cautioned that any boost would not be felt in a significant
way until at least 2008.

Bush, who has always said that the United States is headed for victory
in Iraq, conceded yesterday what Gates, Powell and most Americans in
polls have already concluded. "An interesting construct that General
Pace uses is, 'We're not winning, we're not losing,' " Bush said,
referring to Marine Gen. Peter Pace, the Joint Chiefs chairman, who was
spotted near the Oval Office before the interview. "There's been some
very positive developments. . . . [But] obviously the real problem we
face is the sectarian violence that needs to be dealt with."

Asked yesterday about his "absolutely, we're winning" comment at an Oct.
25 news conference, the president recast it as a prediction rather than
an assessment. "Yes, that was an indication of my belief we're going to
win," he said.

Bush said he has not yet made a decision about a new strategy for Iraq
and would wait for Gates to return from a trip there to assess the
situation. "I need to talk to him when he gets back," Bush said. "I've
got more consultations to do with the national security team, which will
be consulting with other folks. And I'm going to take my time to make
sure that the policy, when it comes out, the American people will see
that we . . . have got a new way forward."

Among the options under review by the White House is sending 15,000 to
30,000 more troops to Iraq for six to eight months. The idea has the
support of important figures such as Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) and has
been pushed by some inside the White House, but the Joint Chiefs have
balked because they think advocates have not adequately defined the
mission, according to U.S. officials.

The chiefs have warned that a short-term surge could lead to more
attacks against U.S. troops, according to the officials, who described
the review on the condition of anonymity because it is not complete.
Bush would not discuss such ideas in detail but said "all options are
viable."

While top commanders question the value of a surge, they have begun
taking moves that could prepare for one, should Bush order it. Defense
officials said yesterday that the U.S. Central Command has made two
separate requests to Gates for additional forces in the Middle East,
including an Army brigade of about 3,000 troops to be used as a reserve
force in Kuwait and a second Navy carrier strike group to move to the
Persian Gulf.

Gates has yet to approve the moves, which could increase U.S. forces in
the region by as many as 10,000 troops, officials said. The previous
theater reserve force, the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit, was recently
moved to Iraq's Anbar province to help quell insurgent violence. Gen.
George W. Casey, the U.S. commander in Iraq, has called for the
additional brigade -- likely the 2nd Brigade, 82nd Airborne Division --
to be positioned to move into Iraq hotspots if needed.

The additional carrier strike group would give Gen. John P. Abizaid,
head of the Central Command, more flexibility in a volatile region, said
one official. While such a move would certainly send a pointed message
to Iran, the official said it would also allow additional strike
capabilities in Iraq.

Staff writers Robin Wright, Lori Montgomery, Josh White, Ann Scott
Tyson, Michael Abramowitz and Walter Pincus contributed to this report.

© 2006 The Washington Post Company

þ CMPQwk 1.42 16554 þ
 * Origin: Try Our Web Based QWK: DOCSPLACE.ORG (1:123/140)