Möte POL_INC, 14731 texter
Skriven 2007-03-23 03:03:00 av ROSS SAUER
Ärende: Bush and Rove in trouble
================================
No wonder Bush is becoming frantic in his efforts to keep Rove from
testifying under oath.

E-Mails Show Machinations to Replace Prosecutor
Administration Worked for Months to Make Rove Aide U.S. Attorney in
Arkansas

By Dan Eggen and Amy Goldstein
Washington Post Staff Writers
Friday, March 23, 2007; A01

Two months before Bud Cummins was fired as U.S. attorney in Little Rock,
a protege of presidential adviser Karl Rove was maneuvering with the
Justice Department to take his place.

Last April, Tim Griffin, a Rove aide and longtime GOP operative, sent
the attorney general's chief of staff a flattering letter about himself
written by Cummins, the prosecutor he was trying to replace, internal e-
mails released this week show. Rove and Harriet Miers, then the White
House counsel, were keenly interested in putting him in the position, e-
mails reveal.

New documents also show that Justice and White House officials were
preparing for President Bush's approval of the appointment as early as
last summer, five months before Griffin took the job.

The unusual appointment of Griffin, now serving as the interim U.S.
attorney in Little Rock, has been one of the central issues in the
Justice Department's firing of eight U.S. attorneys, which led to this
week's constitutional showdown between Congress and the White House over
the testimony of some of Bush's closest advisers.

Some of the thousands of pages of e-mails released this week underscore
the extraordinary planning and effort, at the highest levels of the
Justice Department and White House, to secure Griffin a job running one
of the smaller U.S. attorney's offices in the country.

The e-mails show how D. Kyle Sampson, then the attorney general's chief
of staff, and other Justice officials prepared to use a change in
federal law to bypass input from Arkansas' two Democratic senators, who
had expressed doubts about placing a former Republican National
Committee operative in charge of a U.S. attorney's office. The evidence
runs contrary to assurances from Attorney General Alberto R. Gonzales
that no such move had been planned.

"This was a very loyal soldier to the Republicans and the Bush
administration, and they wanted to reward him," said Sen. Mark Pryor (D-
Ark.). "They had every right to do this, but it's the way they handled
it, and the way they tried to cover their tracks and mislead Congress,
that has turned this into a fiasco for them."

Griffin declined to comment yesterday but said in a previous interview
that he was being unfairly maligned by Democrats. He has announced that
he will not seek Senate confirmation to become Little Rock's chief
federal prosecutor but will remain until a replacement is found.

In political circles, Griffin is widely considered an aggressive and
accomplished Republican political operative. He was research director at
the RNC during Bush's 2004 campaign, and he went to work for Rove at the
White House in 2005.

Administration officials and many Republicans say that regardless of
politics, Griffin has the credentials to be U.S. attorney.

"He's more qualified to hold that position than most of the people who
came to that job in the first term," said Mark Corallo, who worked as
the Justice Department's communication director when John D. Ashcroft
was attorney general. "How can anyone blame Karl Rove for weighing in on
behalf of someone who worked for him who happens to be thoroughly
qualified for the job?"

Griffin, raised in Magnolia, Ark., is a Tulane University Law School
graduate who studied at Oxford and has spent 10 years as a prosecutor in
the Judge Advocate General's Corps of the Army Reserve. His return to
Little Rock came after a stint in Iraq.

Cummins's dismissal differs from the firings of the seven other ousted
federal prosecutors in several respects. Cummins was told he was being
removed last June, and the rest were told on Dec. 7. Justice Department
officials also have not publicly said Cummins's departure was related to
his performance in office, as they have with the others. They
acknowledged last month that he was fired simply to make room for
Griffin.

But documents show that Cummins was clearly a target of Sampson's two-
year effort to fire a group of U.S. attorneys who did not qualify as
what he called "loyal Bushies." He was recommended for removal as early
as March 2005.

Cummins said he had no idea of those plans until he was notified of his
firing last June. Sometime in the next couple of months, he said, it
became clear that Griffin was going to get the job, and Cummins stepped
aside in December.

"Was it because Tim Griffin was working for Karl Rove?" Cummins said
this week. "I don't know, and I don't think it really matters at this
point."

The e-mails, however, show just how aggressively Griffin sought the
appointment. On April 27, for example, he used a private e-mail account
to send a note to Sampson.

"Kyle, This might also be helpful," Griffin wrote, enclosing the
flattering, four-paragraph note that Cummins had written nearly four
years earlier, after Griffin had worked in his office as a special
assistant U.S. attorney.

"Just thought you should have it," Griffin said.

By June 13, about a week before Cummins would be told he was losing his
job, Sampson wrote to Monica Goodling, senior counsel to Gonzales, to
tell her that a colleague had the necessary pre-nomination paperwork for
Griffin. He said that he would speak the following morning with Michael
A. Battle, chief of the office that oversees U.S. attorneys, and make
sure that Deputy Attorney General Paul J. McNulty's office "knows that
we are now executing this plan."

Sampson's note suggests the plan was not new: "I did tell them this was
likely coming several months ago."

By July 25, a White House aide wrote to Sampson to ask whether she could
begin trying to win over Pryor. "Is that a problem since he has not yet
been nominated for U.S. attorney?" the aide wrote, referring to Griffin.

"If the president has already approved Griffin, then part of our
'consultation' (to meet the 'advice and consent' requirements of
Constitution) would be to tell them we were going to start a BI on
Griffin," Sampson replied six minutes later, using shorthand for a
background investigation. "I assume this has already happened."

But Griffin was never formally nominated, in part because it became
clear that Pryor was concerned about Griffin as a candidate, according
to documents and officials. By August, Sampson and others were devising
ways to hire Griffin into the Justice Department's criminal division
until he could be moved into the U.S. attorney's spot.

On Aug. 18, Rove aide J. Scott Jennings used an RNC e-mail address to
arrange a telephone call about Griffin with Sampson and Goodling. "Tell
us when, Scott, and we'll be on it," Sampson wrote back.

Less than an hour later, Goodling wrote to Sampson to fill him in on the
latest complications.

"We have a senator prob, so while wh is intent on nominating, scott
thinks we may have a confirmation issue," she wrote. "The possible
solution I suggested to scott was that we (DOJ) pick him up as a
political . . . and then install him as an interim" U.S. attorney.

"I agree but don't think it really should matter where we park him
here," Sampson replied, "as AG will appoint him forthwith to be USA."

Within days, the e-mails show, Justice officials had arranged to hire
Griffin into a political position in headquarters, at a salary of
$142,900, then transfer him immediately to work in the U.S. attorney's
office in Little Rock and await his nomination.

"Tim Griffin is here," Goodling wrote on Sept. 27, the morning he
started at the agency.

As a result of this plan, Griffin had been in Little Rock for more than
a month when he received an official Justice Department notice that he
would be interviewed for the position of interim U.S. attorney. Goodling
already had alerted him that the interview would be a formality, e-mails
show.

Goodling and Battle, who had been told of the plan to install Griffin
the previous spring, were two of the three interviewers during the
session.

Staff writer Michael Abramowitz contributed to this report.

© 2007 The Washington Post Company

þ CMPQwk 1.42 16554 þ
 * Origin: Doc's Place BBS Fido Since 1991 docsplace.tzo.com (1:123/140)