Möte POL_INC, 14731 texter
Skriven 2006-05-14 16:28:58 av JOHNJWILSON (1:123/140)
     Kommentar till en text av BOB KLAHN
Ärende: Tax breaks
==================
->
->  JM>>> The point is, Wayne makes a big deal about how much of a tax
break
->  JM>>> a millionaire gets  but ignores how much  a millionaire pays.
Just
->  JM>>> how much of the total tax burden is paid by the top 10%?
->
->  TR>> Pretty much anywhere you `Google' for information....you find that
the
->  TR>> top are already paying over two thirds of the income tax!
->
->  Pretty much anywhere you google for information you find people
->  who talk as if income tax was the only tax there is. The
->  question was the total tax burden, not just the income tax.
->
->  RC> Thats not good enough, the mantra of the Democrats is the
->  RC> successful must be punished, its not good enough that they
->  RC> already pay the bulk of all income tax revenue, they wont
->  RC> be considered having paid in "their fair share" until they
->  RC> are taxed at 100%! Just ask any of them in here!
->
->  Yes, do that. They will laugh in your face, or typeface. If you
->  ever looked at what the total tax burden was you would learn the
->  income tax is only a portion of the picture. A few years ago the
->  dept of labor released their report on spending vs income. The
->  top 20% paid about 50% of all taxes, and the top 20% have about
->  50% of income. That sounds fair.
->
->  TR>> Further...raising taxes does `not' re-distribute wealth. Another
fact
->  TR>> is...the poor do not lobby, do not contribute to political
campaigns,
->  TR>> and not very many of them vote, anyway.
->
->  Raising taxes is supposed to pay for the government. Cutting
->  taxes does redistribute wealth, from the poor and middle class
->  to the wealthy.
->
->  RC> Some of them do, they vote strictly Democrat out of
->  RC> appreciation for the social welfare programs the Dems
->  RC> provide them and we both know someone who has shown this
->  RC> appreciation.
->
->  If anyone should appreciate the social welfare programs it's the
->  middle and upper classes, as they are protected from depression
->  by those very social welfare programs, and are given a basic
->  stability to the social system that provides their middle and
->  upper class lifestyles.
->
->  RC> The African American population falls into this trap as
->  RC> well, I was talking to a African American co-worker just
->  RC> prior to the 2004 election and asked him who he was going
->  RC> to vote for in a local election, he asked me who was
->  RC> running, I told him, he asked me which one was the
->  RC> "Democrat", I said so and so, he answered, that guy.
->
->  And how does that not mean he would vote for the candidate who
->  represents the party that best protects the legal and civil
->  rights of blacks? After all, Nixon was the one who pushed
->  welfare and affirmative action. And right wingers kept telling
->  me how Reagan increased welfare payments. Those same right
->  wingers told me Carter did not increase them, and it was Clinton
->  who started to move to get people off welfare. Sounds like
->  democrats are doing what republicans talk about.
->
->  TR>> The tax rate of the top 0.01 percent was  slightly more than 32
->  TR>> percent in 2000. Its down to around 28.1 now.
->
->  RC> Too low, the DEMS want this number at 100%.
->
->  The tax rate of those earning over $1mill was about 29%, as of
->  2002, on an average income of $2.8 mill. So what? If you get the
->  benefits pay the price.
->
->  RC> Dont you find it funny that their tax rate, even with the
->  RC> "cuts", is darn near double the rate that most middle to
->  RC> low income people are taxed at, yet they are accused of not
->  RC> paying "their fair share"?
->
->  Their tax rate is no where near their income tax rate. The
->  original subject was the total tax burden. As to their fair
->  share, if you get the benefits you should pay the taxes. Middle
->  and low income earners don't have the disposable income after
->  survival to pay that rate, and they pay more of their income in
->  payroll taxes and sales taxes. All that with fewer means of
->  shielding their income from taxation.
->
->  TR>> But..the ones in the higher income brackets pay the lions share of
the
->  TR>> income taxes. Poor people, and those who do not work at all, pay
`no'
->  TR>> taxes. None.
->
->  Really badly wrong. Poor people and those who don't work at all
->  pay sales taxes, and social security, and medicare, and excise
->  taxes, and property taxes and all sorts of taxes.
->
->  The dept of labor report on expenditures as a percent of income
->  showed all income groups actually paying in a fairly small
->  range for total tax burden. One tax balances off against another
->  between income ranges.
->
->  RC> But pretend to think they have the authority to tell people
->  RC> what they need with their money.
->
->  Funny, when the "conservatives" pretend to have the authority to
->  force people to invest in retirement accounts I don't see anyone
->  on the right using that arguement.

Thanks for posting what I was too lazy to do.
(I include it here as some people will have to read it twice :-)

 * Origin: Try Our Web Based QWK: DOCSPLACE.ORG (1:123/140)