Möte POL_INC, 14731 texter
Skriven 2008-09-16 21:54:00 av Bob Klahn (1:124/311)
     Kommentar till en text av Tim Richardson
Ärende: Hey where is everyone?
==============================

 TR> Sauer once even claimed to know someone who worked for
 TR> Coulter:

 Why is that so unreasonable?

 I know someone who used to play softball with Michael Jordan.

 I know someone who is related to a basket ball player who is
 known for one of the best blocks in NBA playoff history. He was
 on the olympic basketball team that won a gold medal in this
 past olympics. In fact, the fellow I know just told me about
 that just a minute ago, I don't follow sports so I didn't know.

 I know someone who was invited to go to a movie premier with
 Barbara Streisand. He declined, cause he had to play golf that
 day.

 I knew someone who knew the first person to hijack a plane to
 Cuba.

 I have known quite a few people who killed someone. Some of them
 even did it legally.

 Speaking of knowing someone who worked for someone, I had dinner
 with someone who worked for one of the most powerful congressmen
 in the country. This was some time back.

 I am well aquainted with the family of a lawyer who was hit with
 a $25 million fine. (I just find it hard to imagine one person
 paying a $25mill fine.)

 I've known people who knew people who had TV movies made about
 them. I met one of those people myself.

 I know a man who did plays in college with Amanda Blake. If you
 don't know who Amanda Blake is, don't worry about it, you're
 just too young.

 I took a class taught by the man who invented the method used by
 many newspapers to send photos over a wire, like a fax but
 higher resolution.

 I knew a man who traveled all over Europe with Eisenhower during
 WWII. I didn't even know he had done that until after he died.

 I know a man who's great grandfather was close to Attaturk.

 I know a man who is the son of an internationally renouned
 author.

 I know a college senior, English major, who has written papers
 that were cited in two PHD thesis, one in linguistics and one in
 poly sci. Both candidates got their PHDs.

 I had a teacher who was related to Dick Van Dyke. If you don't
 know who Dick Van Dyke is, again, don't worry, you're just too
 young.

 I know a fellow who showed me a picture of his aunt with Nat
 King Cole.

 I knew a lady who ran a restaurant and bar that was a mob
 hangout.

 I know the child of a musician who was complimented on his
 talent and ability by Art Tatum. If you don't know who Art Tatum
 is, you are just culturally deprived.

 I know a violinist who played Eisenhower's violin in concert.

 I have personally known several people related or who know
 pro-athletes, or known the atheletes myself. Among them one of
 Michael Jordan's teammates, a former Chicago White Sox player, a
 former Cleveland Brown's player, a former Miami dolphin's
 player, and several female pro-football players.

 There was a note in the local paper about a couple women who
 went to a Frank Sinatra concert, and afterwards stopped for a
 drink and found themselves sitting next to Sinatra. They didn't
 say a word to him.

 If you know what the Alvin Ailey Dance Theatre is, I met a lot
 of the dancers from that company. They are rather small people,
 even though they look like giants on the stage. And they are
 friendly.

 I know a couple internationally renouned science fiction
 writers, among them SP Somptow. Not only do I know him, not only
 do I know his real name, but I am probably one of the few people
 you will meet who can actually pronounce it. (Why do you think
 he uses a pen name?)

 I have a signed first edition of Haldeman's Nebula and Hugo
 wining book, "The Forever War". Which he signed at my request in
 person. Little did I know the title would inspire Bush/McCain.

 I have exchanged emails with the author of the NYT crossword
 puzzle. Who, BTW, used to post on Fidonet. As did at least one
 SF author.

 BFD.

 One of my college astronomy profs, back when Carl Sagan had his
 TV show on, told about being at a conference, where Sagan was in
 attendance. This prof was an internationally known expert on
 comets. He was telling the class how Sagan approached him one
 evening to discuss a point of science. One of the students
 asked, "Do you know Carl Sagan?"

 He replied, "When you have lived as long as I have you meet a
 lot of people."

 Why do you even find it unusual that someone might know someone
 who worked for someone famous? It's not unusual, not at all. If
 you look at all the people you know, probably a lot of them have
 done things, or met people you never knew about.

 Hell, I know people who not only met George Clooney, but one
 whose son got a letter from him afterwards. As well as the
 father of a theatre manager who worked with Patrick Stewart.
 Both of whom, BTW, were reported to be very nice people.

 Oh, and I met the Great Wojo, once. In a mall, he was doing a
 charity bit. My notable comment was to one of the other workers
 there, "He doesn't look that big in person." His reply, "A lot
 of people say that."

 Like I said, BFD, it's not even unusual. Oh, I know several
 award winning newspaper reporters, and know people who met a
 pulitzer prize winning reporter.

 What's the big deal?

BOB KLAHN bob.klahn@sev.org   http://home.toltbbs.com/bobklahn

... Don't mistake obscurity for profundity.
 * Silver Xpress V4.5/P [Reg]
--- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v3.0pr5a
 * Origin: FidoTel & QWK on the Web! www.fidotel.com (1:124/311)