Möte VATICAN, 2740 texter
Skriven 2006-12-01 00:08:46 av Marc Lewis (1:396/45)
Ärende: Vatican Information Service (Press Release)
Hello All!
                This Area is READ ONLY.  Do not post to this area.
                The following press release is Copyrighted by the
                          Vatican Information Service.
                               VIS-Press releases

ROME AND CONSTANTINOPLE SHARE THE APOSTOLIC CALL

VATICAN CITY, NOV 30, 2006 (VIS) - This morning, Benedict XVI participated in
the divine liturgy at the patriarchal church of St. George, of the ecumenical
patriarchate in Istanbul which today celebrates the Feast of its Patron, St.
Andrew. On his arrival at the church, the Pope was greeted by the Ecumenical
Patriarch Bartholomew I. At the end of the liturgy, Patriarch Bartholomew
pronounced an address, after which the Holy Father also delivered a talk.

"Today, in this patriarchal church of St. George," began the Pope's English-
language address, "we are able to experience once again the communion and call
of the two brothers, Simon Peter and Andrew, in the meeting of the Successor of
Peter and his brother in the episcopal ministry, the head of this Church
traditionally founded by the Apostle Andrew. Our fraternal encounter highlights
the special relationship uniting the Churches of Rome and Constantinople as
sister Churches.

"With heartfelt joy we thank God for granting new vitality to the relationship
that has developed since the memorable meeting in Jerusalem in December 1964
between our predecessors, Pope Paul VI and Patriarch Athenagoras," said the
Holy Father. Later, on "the eve of the final session of the Second Vatican
Council," Paul VI and Patriarch Athenagoras took another "unique and
unforgettable step in the patriarchal church of St. George and the basilica of
Saint Peter in the Vatican respectively: they removed from the memory of the
Church the tragic excommunications of 1054. In this way they confirmed a
decisive shift in our relationship."

"In that same spirit, my presence here today is meant to renew our commitment
to advancing along the road towards the re-establishment ... of full communion
between the Church of Rome and the Church of Constantinople," said the Holy
Father. "I can assure you that the Catholic Church is willing to do everything
possible to overcome obstacles and to seek, together with our Orthodox brothers
and sisters, ever more effective means of pastoral cooperation to this end."

Jesus, said the Pope, gave the Apostles Peter and Andrew "the mission of making
all nations His disciples, baptizing them and proclaiming His teachings."
Today, he recalled, this mission "is even more urgent and necessary," because
it "looks not only to those cultures which have been touched only marginally by
the Gospel message, but also to long-established European cultures deeply
grounded in the Christian tradition.

"The process of secularization has weakened the hold of that tradition; indeed,
it is being called into question, and even rejected. In the face of this
reality, we are called, together with all other Christian communities, to renew
Europe's awareness of its Christian roots, traditions and values, giving them
new vitality. Our efforts to build closer ties between the Catholic Church and
the Orthodox Churches are a part of this missionary task. The divisions which
exist among Christians are a scandal to the world and an obstacle to the
proclamation of the Gospel."

"Peter and Andrew," the Holy Father reiterated, "were called together to become
fishers of men. This same task, however, took on a different form for each of
the brothers. Simon ... was called 'Peter,' the 'rock' on which the Church was
to be built; to him ... were entrusted the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven. His
journey would take him from Jerusalem to Antioch, and from Antioch to Rome, so
that in that city he might exercise a universal responsibility.

"The issue of the universal service of Peter and his Successors has
unfortunately given rise to our differences of opinion, which we hope to
overcome, thanks also to the theological dialogue which has been recently
resumed. My venerable predecessor, Servant of God Pope John Paul II, spoke of
the mercy that characterizes Peter's service of unity. ... It is on this basis
that Pope John Paul extended an invitation to enter into a fraternal dialogue
aimed at identifying ways in which the Petrine ministry might be exercised
today, while respecting its nature and essence, so as to 'accomplish a service
of love recognized by all concerned'."

As for Andrew, who spoke Greek, "he became ... the Apostle of the encounter
with the Greeks. ... The Apostle Andrew, therefore, represents the meeting
between early Christianity and Greek culture. This encounter, particularly in
Asia Minor, became possible thanks especially to the great Cappadocian Fathers,
who enriched the liturgy, theology and spirituality of both the Eastern and the
Western Churches.

"The Christian message, like the grain of wheat, fell on this land and bore
much fruit," said Pope Benedict. "We must be profoundly grateful for the
heritage that emerged from the fruitful encounter between the Christian message
and Hellenic culture. It has had an enduring impact on the Churches of East and
West."

"In the course of history, both the Church of Rome and the Church of
Constantinople have often experienced the lesson of the grain of wheat.
Together we venerate many of the same martyrs. ... With them, we share the same
hope that impels the Church to 'press forward, like a stranger in a foreign
land, amid the persecutions of the world and the consolations of God.' For its
part, the century that has just ended also saw courageous witnesses to the
faith, in both East and West. Even now, there are many such witnesses in
different parts of the world. We remember them in our prayer and, in whatever
way we can, we offer them our support, as we urge all world leaders to respect
religious freedom as a fundamental human right.

"The divine liturgy in which we have participated was celebrated according to
the rite of St. John Chrysostom. The Cross and Resurrection of Jesus Christ
have been made mystically present. ... This faith in the redeeming death of
Jesus on the cross, and this hope which the Risen Christ offers to the whole
human family, are shared by all of us, Orthodox and Catholics alike. May our
daily prayer and activity be inspired by a fervent desire not only to be
present at the divine liturgy, but to be able to celebrate it together, to take
part in the one table of the Lord, sharing the same bread and the same
chalice."

At the conclusion of the liturgical celebration, the Pope and the Ecumenical
Patriarch imparted the final blessing together.
PV-TURKEY/DIVINE LITURGY/ISTANBUL VIS 061130 (1060)

SUMMARY

--- MPost/386 v1.21
 * Origin: Sursum Corda! BBS =Meridian, MS= bbs.sursum-corda.com (1:396/45)