Möte VATICAN, 2740 texter
Skriven 2007-01-08 22:34:28 av Marc Lewis (1:396/45)
Ärende: [2 of 2] Vatican Information Service (Press Release)
inequalities in the distribution of revenues - these are all signs to be viewed
with satisfaction. If these developments are consolidated, they will be able to
make a decisive contribution to overcoming the poverty that afflicts vast
sectors of the population and to increasing the stability of institutions.

"In the light of the elections that took place last year in several countries,
it should be emphasized that democracy is called to take into account the
aspirations of the citizens as a whole, and to promote increasing respect for
all the components of society, according to the principles of solidarity,
subsidiarity and justice. Yet the practice of democracy must not be allowed to
turn into the dictatorship of relativism, by proposing anthropological models
incompatible with the nature and dignity of the human person.

"My attention is focused in a special way on certain individual countries -
notably Colombia, where the long internal conflict has provoked a humanitarian
crisis, especially as far as displaced persons are concerned. Every effort must
be made to bring peace to the country, to return to families their loved ones
who have been kidnapped, to restore security and normal life for millions of
people. ... Our attention is also turned towards Cuba. In voicing the hope that
all of its inhabitants may realize their legitimate aspirations, amid concern
for the common good, I should like to renew the appeal made by my venerable
Predecessor: 'Let Cuba open itself to the world, and let the world open itself
to Cuba.' Mutual openness to other countries can only bring benefits to all
concerned. Not far away, the people of Haiti continue to live in great poverty
surrounded by violence. I pray that the interest of the international community
- manifested among other things by the conferences of donors that took place in
2006 - will lead to the consolidation of institutions and will allow the people
to become the architects of their own development, amid a climate of
reconciliation and harmony.

"The Asian continent includes countries characterized by very large populations
and significant economic development. I am thinking of China and India,
countries that are in rapid expansion, and I hope that their growing presence
on the international stage will bring with it benefits for their own
populations and for other nations. Likewise, I pray for Vietnam, recalling its
recent entry into the World Trade Organization. My thoughts go out to the
Christian communities. In most Asian countries, they tend to be small but
lively communities, with a legitimate desire to be able to live and act in a
climate of religious liberty. This is not only a primordial right but it is a
condition that will enable them to contribute to the material and spiritual
progress of society, and to be sources of cohesion and harmony.

"In East Timor, the Catholic Church intends to continue making her
contribution, notably in the fields of education, healthcare and national
reconciliation. The political crisis experienced by this young State, and by
other countries in the region, highlights a certain fragility in the processes
of democratization. Dangerous sources of tension are lurking in the Korean
Peninsula. The goal of reconciling the Korean people and maintaining the
Peninsula as a nuclear-free zone - which will bring benefits to the entire
region - must be pursued within the context of negotiations. It is important to
avoid gestures that could compromise the talks, and likewise to avoid making
their results a condition for the humanitarian aid destined for the most
vulnerable sectors of the North Korean population."

"In Afghanistan, in recent months, we can only deplore the notable increase in
violence and terrorist attacks. This has rendered the way out of the crisis
more difficult, and it weighs heavily on the local population. In Sri Lanka,
the failure of the Geneva negotiations between the Government and the Tamil
Movement has brought with it an intensification of the conflict, causing great
suffering among the civilian population. Only the path of dialogue can ensure a
better and safer future for all.

"The Middle East is also a source of great anxiety. ... I renew my urgent
appeal to all parties involved in the complex political chessboard of the
region, hoping for a consolidation of the positive signs noted in recent weeks
between Israelis and Palestinians. The Holy See will never tire of reiterating
that armed solutions achieve nothing, as we saw in Lebanon last summer. In
fact, the future of that country depends upon the unity of all its components,
and upon fraternal relations between its different religious and social
groupings. ... In particular, the Lebanese have a right to see the integrity
and sovereignty of their country respected; the Israelis have a right to live
in peace in their State; the Palestinians have a right to a free and sovereign
homeland. When each of the peoples in the region sees that its expectations are
taken into consideration and thus feels less threatened, then mutual trust will
be strengthened.

"This trust will grow if a country like Iran, especially in relation to its
nuclear program, agrees to give a satisfactory response to the legitimate
concerns of the international community. Steps taken in this direction surely
help to stabilize the whole region, especially Iraq, putting an end to the
appalling violence which disfigures that country with bloodshed, and offering
an opportunity to work for reconstruction and reconciliation between all its
inhabitants.

"Closer to us, in Europe, two new countries, Bulgaria and Romania, nations with
a long Christian tradition, have joined the European Union. As the celebration
of the fiftieth anniversary of the Treaty of Rome approaches, some reflection
on the Constitutional Treaty would seem appropriate. I hope that the
fundamental values that are at the basis of human dignity will be fully
protected, particularly religious freedom in all its dimensions and the
institutional rights of Churches. ... The fiftieth anniversary of the rising of
Budapest, celebrated last October, calls to mind the dramatic events of the
twentieth century, and it prompts all Europeans to build a future free from
oppression and from ideological conditioning, to establish bonds of friendship
and fraternity, and to show concern and solidarity towards the poor and the
weak. Likewise, the tensions of the past must be purified by promoting
reconciliation at all levels, since this alone opens the way to the future and
gives hope. I also appeal to all those on European soil who are tempted by
terrorism, to cease from all such activity: actions of this kind only lead to
more violence and create fear among populations - they are simply a dead end.
And I must also mention the various 'frozen conflicts' and today's recurring
tensions linked to energy resources, in the hope that they will find a rapid
and definitive solution.

"I pray that the Balkan region will arrive at the stability so ardently
desired, particularly through the integration of the nations concerned into
continental structures with the support of the international community. The
establishment of diplomatic relations with the Republic of Montenegro, which
has recently entered peacefully into the family of nations, and the Fundamental
Accord signed with Bosnia-Herzegovina are signs of the Holy See's constant
concern for the Balkan region. As the moment approaches in which the statute of
Kosovo will be defined, the Holy See asks all concerned to strive with
far-sighted wisdom, flexibility and moderation, so that a solution may be found
which respects the rights and legitimate expectations of all.

"The situations I have mentioned," the Pope concluded, "constitute a challenge
that touches us all - a challenge to promote and consolidate all the positive
elements in the world, and to overcome, with good will, wisdom and tenacity,
all that causes injury, degradation and death. It is by respecting the human
person that peace can be promoted, and it is by building peace that the
foundations of an authentic integral humanism are laid. ... In her commitment
to serve humanity and to build peace, the Church stands alongside all people of
good will and she offers impartial cooperation. Together, each in his place and
with his respective gifts, let us work to build an integral humanism which
alone can guarantee a world of peace, justice and solidarity.
AC/NEW YEAR/DIPLOMATIC CORPSVIS 070108 (2720)

SUMMARY

--- MPost/386 v1.21
 * Origin: Sursum Corda! BBS =Meridian, MS= bbs.sursum-corda.com (1:396/45)