Skriven 2005-09-09 23:33:18 av Whitehouse Press (1:3634/12.0)
Ärende: Press Release (0509091) for Fri, 2005 Sep 9
President Remembers 9/11 Heroes at Medal of Valor Award Ceremony

Office of the Press Secretary
September 9, 2005

President Remembers 9/11 Heroes at Medal of Valor Award Ceremony
The South Lawn

President's Remarks
"); //--> view

1:00 P.M. EDT

THE PRESIDENT: Thank you all very much. (Applause.) Thank you. Welcome to
the White House. Laura and I are honored that you're here today. We
recognize a group of Americans whose bravery and commitment to their fellow
citizens showed us the true meaning of heroism.

The 442 names you just heard belong to men and women of uncommon valor and
decency and honor. On one of the worst days our country has ever witnessed,
we witnessed the courage of some of the finest people our country has ever
produced. And their sacrifice will always be remembered.

I want to thank the Attorney General. I welcome members of the United
States Congress and the United States Senate who have joined us -- Bill
Frist, Senator Schumer, Congressman Fossella, Congressman Crowley. By the
way, thank you for bringing your mother. Congressman Wolf, Congressman
Smith, Congressman King, Congressman McCarthy, Congressman Israel. I want
to thank Ray Kelly, the Police Commissioner of the great city of New York.
(Applause.) I thank all the fire chiefs, police chiefs, and Port Authority
personnel. I particularly want to thank the men and women who are on the
front line of making us safe -- thank you all for coming today. (Applause.)

The 9/11 Heroes Medal of Valor honors the public safety officers who gave
their lives on September the 11th. On that day, firefighters, police
officers, emergency medical technicians, Port Authority personnel and other
public safety officers performed their jobs with extraordinary distinction
in the face of unspeakable terror.

We're grateful to the families and friends who have come here to honor
their memory. We know that the sense of loss you feel does not disappear
with time. Four years later, you still miss your loved ones. America
admires your courage in the face of such terrible pain. And your loved ones
will always have the thanks and admiration and respect of a grateful
nation.

When America has been challenged, there has always been citizens willing to
step forward and risk their lives for the rest of us. Over the last 11 days
in Louisiana and Mississippi and Alabama, we have again seen acts of great
compassion and extraordinary bravery from America's first responders.
Firefighters and police, and U.S. Coast Guard men and women, and National
Guardsmen and active duty forces, disaster and medical assistance teams,
search and rescue units from all over the United States have descended on
the Gulf Coast to help the victims of Hurricane Katrina. They have faced
the storm's destruction with valor and determination, and their hard work
has saved lives in the face of great adversity.

We're still at the beginning of a huge effort. The tasks before us are
enormous. Yet so is the heart of the United States. We're grateful to the
emergency personnel -- (applause.) We are grateful to the emergency
personnel who are working to assist victims and restore communities
affected by this disaster. In these difficult days, we have again seen the
great strength and character and resolve of America. And we will continue
to work to help the people who are struggling.

In every community we depend on those who carry the badge, who keep the
peace and protect our citizens. And in times of national crisis, all
Americans are grateful to those who answer the alarms and run toward danger
and provide urgent care. Those who place their own lives at risk for others
must be recognized and honored by their fellow citizens.

And four years ago, America saw the unparalleled heroism of our nation's
public safety officers. We lost brave rescue workers who gave their lives
so that others could live. We lost many other citizens who assisted in the
rescue efforts, and whose courage and sacrifice that day made them
extraordinary.

On September the 11th, 2001, America lost Firefighter Donny Regan of Rescue
Company 3 in Bronx. During his 17-year career with the New York City Fire
Department he was cited six times for bravery. And today, our nation honors
Donny's final act of courage. His son, Peter, lost a father on September
the 11th; today, he carries on his father's legacy. Peter followed his
dad's footsteps to the fire department. Today he is defending our freedom
as a reservist with the 3rd Battalion 25th Marine Regiment in Iraq.
(Applause.)

On September the 11th, 2001, America lost Firefighter Ronnie Gies of Squad
288 in Queens. Ronnie had been with the New York Fire Department since
1988. He rushed downtown to the World Trade Center. A video of the day
showed Ronnie on his way into the towers. His wife said, "You see him
straight on, carrying equipment, with such a look of determination." His
own son, Tommy, graduated from the FDNY Academy last August, and is now a
member of Ladder 147 in Brooklyn. And we're grateful for Tommy's courage
and service. (Applause.)

On September the 11th, 2001, America lost Senior Court Officer Thomas
Jurgens, one of about 25 New York State Court officers who responded after
the plane hit the first tower. Thomas' last radio transmission came from
inside the burning tower, after he'd been warned to get out because the
danger was too great. He refused to leave his post. His last words before
signing off were, "There are people here who need our help."

On September the 11th, 2001, America lost New York City Police Officer
Moira Smith. Moira is remembered by friends for her fearless spirit on and
off the job. She ran with the bulls in Spain. And in 1991, she ran into a
subway tunnel to rescue dozens of people trapped in one of the worst subway
accidents in New York history. On September the 11th, 2001, she ran toward
danger once again, into the burning towers of the World Trade Center. A
broker she helped to safety remembers her steady blue eyes and her even
voice. The next day's papers carried an image of Moira helping an injured
man out of the tower, before she rushed back in to save others. And the
tower collapsed around her. One of Moira's colleagues said, "She could have
saved herself, but nothing would have stopped her saving one more person."

These are some of the examples, only a few of the examples, of the
extraordinary bravery that took place that day. All the brave men and women
we recognize today brought credit to the uniform, and honor to the United
States of America. (Applause.)

And one way our nation can honor their sacrifice is to win the war on
terror. (Applause.) On September the 11th, 2001, we saw the future that
terrorists intend for us. And I made a decision: America will not wait to
be attacked again. We will take the fight to the enemy, and we'll defend
our freedom. (Applause.)

Since that day we've taken the fight to the enemy. We're hunting down the
terrorists in mountains in Afghanistan, in tribal regions of Pakistan, in
the deserts of Iraq, and on islands of Southeast Asia, and the Horn of
Africa. We're fighting the terrorists and we're fighting their murderous
ideology, by spreading the hope of freedom across the broader Middle East.
Free nations are peaceful nations, and by advancing freedom's cause, we are
laying the foundation of peace for our children and our grandchildren.
(Applause.)

We will succeed. And the legacy of peace and freedom we leave behind will
be the greatest memorial to your fallen family members and friends.
(Applause.)

The heroes of September the 11th will not be here to see that day. But
their moms and dads and children and grandchildren can know a proud America
will always stand in the long shadow of their service and sacrifice, and a
proud nation will always remember them.

May God bless you all, and may God forever bless the memories of those who
sacrificed on behalf of our citizens. (Applause.)

END 1:24 P.M. EDT

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/09/20050909-1.html

 * Origin: (1:3634/12)