Skriven 2006-01-02 00:11:48 av Whitehouse Press (1:3634/12.0)
Ärende: Press Release (060101) for Mon, 2006 Jan 2
President Visits Troops at Brooke Army Medical Center

Office of the Press Secretary
January 1, 2006

President Visits Troops at Brooke Army Medical Center
Brooke Army Medical Center
San Antonio, Texas

12:05 P.M. CST

THE PRESIDENT: Happy New Year to you all. Thanks. I can't think of a better
way to start 2006 then here at this fantastic hospital -- a hospital that's
full of healers and compassionate people who care deeply about our men and
women in uniform. It's also full of courageous young soldiers, Marines,
airmen -- men and women who are serving our country and making great
sacrifice. I'm just overwhelmed by the great strength of character of not
only those who have been wounded, but of their loved ones, as well. And so,
thank you all for bringing great credit to our country.

As you can possibly see, I have an injury myself -- not here at the
hospital, but in combat with a Cedar. I eventually won. The Cedar gave me a
little scratch. As a matter of fact, the Colonel asked if I needed first
aid when she first saw me. I was able to avoid any major surgical
operations here, but thanks for your compassion, Colonel.

I've been thinking long and hard about 2006. My hopes, of course, are for
peace around the world. I'll continue to work as hard as I can to lay that
foundation for peace. And also my hope is that this country remains as
prosperous as it was in 2005. We had a very strong economy, and we'll work
to keep the economy as strong as it possibly can, so anybody that wants to
find a job can find one.

With that, I'll be glad to answer a couple of questions. Toby. Or, Deb. You
are Deb, right?

Q Yes, sir. Mr. President, were you aware of any resistance to the
launching of the NSA program at high levels of your administration, and if
so, how did that influence your decision to approve it?

THE PRESIDENT: First of all, the NSA program is an important program in
protecting America. We're at war, and as Commander-in-Chief, I've got to
use the resources at my disposal, within the law, to protect the American
people. And that's what we're doing.

The NSA program is one that listens to a few numbers, called from the
outside of the United States and of known al Qaeda or affiliate people. In
other words, the enemy is calling somebody and we want to know who they're
calling and why. And that seems to make sense to me, as the
Commander-in-Chief, if my job is to protect the American people.

This program has been reviewed, constantly reviewed, by people throughout
my administration. And it still is reviewed. It has got -- not only has it
been reviewed by Justice Department officials, it's been reviewed by
members of the United States Congress. It's a vital, necessary program.

Now, some say, well, maybe this isn't a war; maybe this is just a law
enforcement operation. I strongly disagree. We're at war with an enemy that
wants to hurt us again, and the American people expect the
Commander-in-Chief to protect them, and that's exactly what I intend to do.

Toby.

Q Mr. President, as we start the New Year, what is your outlook for U.S.
troop withdrawal from Iraq in 2006?

THE PRESIDENT: The conditions on the ground will dictate our force level.
As the Iraqis are able to take more of the fight to the enemy, our
commanders on the ground will be able to make a different assessment about
the troop strength. And I'm going to continue to rely upon those
commanders, such as General Casey, who is doing a fabulous job and whose
judgment I trust, and that will determine -- his recommendations will
determine the number of troops we have on the ground in Iraq.

Q In 2004, when you were doing an event about the Patriot Act, in your
remarks you had said that any wiretapping required a court order, and that
nothing had changed. Given that we now know you had prior approval for this
NSA program, were you in any way misleading?

THE PRESIDENT: I was talking about roving wire taps, I believe, involved in
the Patriot Act. This is different from the NSA program. The NSA program is
a necessary program. I was elected to protect the American people from
harm. And on September the 11th, 2001, our nation was attacked. And after
that day, I vowed to use all the resources at my disposal, within the law,
to protect the American people, which is what I have been doing, and will
continue to do. And the fact that somebody leaked this program causes great
harm to the United States.

There's an enemy out there. They read newspapers, they listen to what you
write, they listen to what you put on the air, and they react. And it seems
logical to me that if we know there's a phone number associated with al
Qaeda and/or an al Qaeda affiliate, and they're making phone calls, it
makes sense to find out why. They attacked us before, they will attack us
again if they can. And we're going to do everything we can to stop them.

Yes, Ed.

Q Mr. President, with this program, though, what can you say to those
members of the public that are worried about violations of their privacy?

THE PRESIDENT: Ed, I can say that if somebody from al Qaeda is calling you,
we'd like to know why. In the meantime, this program is conscious of
people's civil liberties, as am I. This is a limited program designed to
prevent attacks on the United States of America. And I repeat, limited. And
it's limited to calls from outside the United States to calls within the
United States. But they are of known -- numbers of known al Qaeda members
or affiliates. I think most Americans understand the need to find out what
the enemy is thinking. And that's what we're doing.

We're at war with a bunch of cold-blooded killers who will kill on a
moment's notice. And I have a responsibility, obviously, to act within the
law, which I am doing. It's a program that's been reviewed constantly by
Justice Department officials, a program to which the Congress has been
briefed, and a program that is, in my judgment, necessary to win this war
and to protect the American people.

Last question. Mike.

Q Mr. President, in August you said that Katrina could -- the effects of it
could test the strongest faith. I'm sure of some of the things that you saw
today, that's the case, as well. What do you tell a young soldier or his
young wife about how a loving God could permit or cause some of the things
you saw today?

THE PRESIDENT: First of all, Mike, I'm conscious not to be trying to
substitute myself for God. I am, on the other hand, inspired by the mom who
told me upstairs that she prays every day and believes in the miracle of
healing; that I think we see God's work here every day. I think when you
find nurses and doctors who work around the clock, who come in at a
moment's notice to save a life, I happen to believe there's a lot of divine
inspiration to that kind of dedication and work. The parents I saw or the
wives I saw, many of them were in prayer on a regular basis for their loved
one.

And, you know, war is terrible. There's horrible consequences to war --
that's what you see in this building. On the other hand, we also see people
who say, I'd like to go back in, Mr. President, what we're doing is the
right thing, because many of these troops understand that by defeating the
enemy there, we don't have to face them here. And they understand that by
helping the country and the Middle East become a democracy, we are, in
fact, laying the foundation for future peace. And, I, as the
Commander-in-Chief, I am resolved to make sure that those who have died in
combats' sacrifice are not in vain. And I am resolved to make sure that
these kids who are recovering here, that have suffered terrible injury,
that their injuries are not in vain by completing the mission and laying
that foundation for peace for generations to come. And I'm optimistic we'll
achieve that objective.

Thank you all very much.

END 12:16 P.M. CST
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2006/01/20060101.html