Skriven 2006-02-24 23:33:22 av Whitehouse Press (1:3634/12.0)
Ärende: Press Release (0602244) for Fri, 2006 Feb 24
Interview of the President by PTV, Pakistan

Office of the Press Secretary
February 24, 2006

Interview of the President by PTV, Pakistan
The Map Room

11:20 A.M. EST

Q Mr. President, you are paying a visit to Pakistan at a very crucial
juncture, at a time when changes are being experienced in the region. And
people of Pakistan are pinning a lot of hope on your visit because they
think many problems are there and your visit will play a very vital role in
it. So what is your vision for making this trip more meaningful and
productive?

THE PRESIDENT: The first thing that's really important for people to
understand is that relations between our countries oftentimes depend on the
relations between the leaders. In other words, President Musharraf and I
can set a tone for the relationship because of our capacity to talk to each
other. And it's important to be with each other and to share concerns and
to talk about ideas. And so one object of the trip is to continue what is a
good relationship. A good relationship between me and the President tends
to permeate throughout our government.

Secondly, I -- and one reason we've got a good relationship is we speak
frankly with each other. Listen, I understand he has got a difficult job --
made really difficult by the fact that people have tried to kill him, as
you know -- extremists have decided that he is a obstacle to their vision
and, therefore, have tried to kill him. And so he's not only a man who's
shown great courage in the face of adversity, but he does have a vision of
how to work together to achieve common objectives.

Secondly, I want the people of Pakistan to know that the American people
care about them, that ours is a relationship that's much bigger than just
the war on terror; that when our Chinooks flew supplies into the rural part
of Pakistan, it wasn't out of a sense of just kind of pure diplomacy, it
was out of a sense of care and concern about the individuals. And I
understand sometimes people may have -- wonder about our motives, wonder
about America's true concerns. And this will give me a chance to speak to
the people of Pakistan and say, look, we care for you, and remind people
that in our country there's great Pakistani Americans. We're a rich society
because we've got people from around the world, including people who were
born and raised in Pakistan and have now chosen America as a home.

And so it's a trip that's of goodwill and importance.

Q Mr. President, there is a common perception that the relations between
the United States and Pakistan have fluctuated in the past. So what
measures would you suggest to make it more durable and sustainable for the
days to come and the longtime perspective?

THE PRESIDENT: Yes, that's a really good question, because again, we want
people to understand this relationship is a vital relationship that will
exist throughout the years. One way we can do that is increase trade
opportunities before our countries -- between our countries. And we'll be
talking about a bilateral investment treaty.

Secondly, student exchanges. And I understand there's been some issues with
visas and we've got to work through those, because I believe the more
Pakistani youngsters who come to America to study will get to really see
what America is all about. And as more Americans that go there to study
will see what Pakistan is all about.

And so there's ways for us, beyond the war on terror -- and by the way, the
war on terror is a critical aspect of our relationship, don't get me wrong.
But the other thing that's interesting and I think important for the people
of Pakistan to know is that President Musharraf, in his democracy
initiative, can show the whole Muslim world, and the world itself, that
it's possible to have a religious that is not extreme, and a state that
listens to people and responds to the needs of people. And that's a really
important message that Pakistan can show the world. And I will, of course,
continue to talk to my buddy and my friend about his goals for a democratic
Pakistan.

Q Mr. President, an early solution to the whole issue of Kashmir, about
which you have also mentioned in your speech at the Asia Society -- that is
vital for the region. So, in your view, being a close friend of both
Pakistan and India, what role the United States can play in resolving this
issue?

THE PRESIDENT: Well, I started to play a role in my speech, and I spoke out
on the issue and encouraged the President and the Prime Minister of India
to continue down the road of solving the issue with a solution that's
acceptable to all sides.

And that's very important. There's a temptation sometimes for countries to
try to jump in the middle of dialogue. I believe a lasting solution can be
achieved. I've seen the progress that's been made in the relationship from
when I first became President. You might remember an early time in my
presidency, there was real tension. And now, all of a sudden, there's some
very encouraging signs -- transportation exchanges -- not transportation
exchanges -- new transportation opportunities, trade. In just my
discussions with both the President and the Prime Minister, there appears
to be a different attitude. And part of it has to do with trust, but
there's got to be tangible progress. I recognize that. And so I will use my
trip to urge the leadership to continue solving this issue, with the idea
that it can be solved.

Q Mr. President, what economic incentive would you offer to Pakistan during
the forthcoming visit?

THE PRESIDENT: Well, trade is very important. And one of the steps on a
robust trading relationship is what's called the Bilateral Investment
Treaty, and that's an important part of the process. And believe me, every
time the President talks to me, he's talking about markets, and I
understand that. But he also understands that there's some steps needed
before this robust trade.

I must applaud the President's vision for the Pakistan economy. And in our
world, politics, there's a lot of talk and a lot of kind of big noise. But
the truth of the matter is what matters is results. And Pakistan's economy
is strong, and that's good news. That's really good news for the people of
Pakistan, first and foremost, because, obviously, if people can make a
living and do well, they can see the benefits of democracy -- tangible
benefits of living in a system where people are free to express themselves,
but where the marketplace is the economic determinant.

Q Coming to another subject, what strategy the United States has adopted
for conquering terrorism in Pakistan, in a very holistic manner?

THE PRESIDENT: First of all, freedom defeats an ideology of hatred. And the
enemy -- I say "the enemy" because they'll kill -- they innocent
Pakistanis, they kill innocent Americans. We need -- more Muslims have died
at the hands of al Qaeda and these extremists than anybody else. These -- I
don't view these people as religious people. I view them as people who have
taken a great religion and kind of twisted it to meet their means.

And so they have a vision. And it's not a vision -- it's a vision that
doesn't recognize the freedom of people to worship. It's a vision that
doesn't understand the -- that recognize the importance of women in
society, or free speech. And so the way to defeat that vision is with a
better vision, more hopeful, and democracy provides that vision.

We are in close coordination, of course, with the government of Pakistan.
We share a mutual interest. Nobody should want foreign fighters in their
soil wreaking havoc. And it's hard for a part of a country to develop if
there are people in that part of the country that are willing to kill
innocent life to achieve an objective. And so we share short-term
objectives with the Pakistani government. We also share the long-term
objective, and that is -- that's freedom.

Q Thank you, very much, Mr. President.

THE PRESIDENT: I'm looking forward to the trip. And I really appreciate you
coming.

Q Thank you, very much. I'm grateful and honored.

THE PRESIDENT: Thank you, sir.

Q Thank you, very much.

END 11:37 A.M. EST

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2006/02/20060224-4.html