Skriven 2006-04-27 00:07:48 av Whitehouse Press (1:3634/12.0)
Ärende: Press Release (0604263) for Thu, 2006 Apr 27
Mrs. Bush's Remarks at the 2006 Spring Meeting of the James Madison Council

Office of the First Lady
April 26, 2006

Mrs. Bush's Remarks at the 2006 Spring Meeting of the James Madison Council
The Library of Congress
Washington, D.C.

12:03 P.M. EDT

MRS. BUSH: Great to see you all. I was just in the neighborhood and I
wanted to stop by -- (laughter) -- to see a group of library and book
lovers.

Each one of you have a special place in my heart, and, in fact, in this
room are a lot of very good long-time friends of mine, and I want to
recognize every one of you and tell you thank you so much for what you do
for the Library of Congress.

And thank you, Dr. Billington, for the very kind introduction. Usually when
Dr. Billington introduces me, it's at the National Book Festival, where I'm
brought in with a lot of ceremony -- kind of like a homecoming or a prom.
(Laughter.) Sometimes he lets me bring President Bush along as an escort.
So I'm glad today's welcome was a little more subdued. I think George was
starting to get jealous. (Laughter.) Dr. Billington, thank you very much
for the good work that you do as the Librarian of Congress.

And I also want to acknowledge the Madison Council's Chairman, Ed Cox, my
good friend from Dallas, for the work that he does and that the Madison
Council does. Thank you so much, Ed.

For 15 years, this group of private sector philanthropists has made sure
that the Library of Congress' vast resources and collections are fully
enjoyed by the American public.

One of the many projects you've been involved in is the National Book
Festival. You've been a partner of the Library of Congress and of mine as
we've produced this festival every year since 2001. Over the last five
years, this event has brought thousands of people to Washington from across
the country to meet their favorite authors and to have a chance to
celebrate their love of reading on that day in September.

And I'll never forget the first Festival, which was just a few days before
September 11th. It was the Saturday before September 11th on Tuesday, and
the whole juxtaposition of the memories from that day, where people stood
in line to get into the Library of Congress to hear David McCullough or
many other of their favorite authors, and then what happened on September
11th I think really shows what we value in the United States. We value the
free exchange of ideas, the written word, the chance to hear people of
every persuasion talk, and to hear their ideas. And so that has a special
memory in my heart, but I've loved every one of the festivals.

This year, the Festival will be on September 30th. I hope I'll see all of
you here for that. The Library of Congress will have its own pavilion, and
festival-goers can learn about the Library's Veteran History Project, which
documents the stories of American veterans since World War I, going through
today. And it documents the history of the millions of Americans who
supported our veterans on the home front.

The Festival was founded to encourage reading, and we especially want to
encourage young people who face so many competing demands for their
attention that keep them from discovering and enjoying good books --
television, the internet, video games. So I want to thank the Council for
your commitment to the National Book Festival, and also for your commitment
to reading and to the young people across our country.

Over the last 15 years, you've also given the Library -- and the American
people -- many gifts, including the important treasures of American
history. Thanks to the Madison Council, the Library of Congress now has the
famous Waldseemüller Map, which is the first map to name this land
"America."

Martin Waldseemüller may have defined America's physical characteristics,
but it was Thomas Jefferson who defined America's spirit: the principles of
liberty and democracy that make our nation an enduring beacon of freedom
around the world. And just as Jefferson shaped America, the books he read
shaped him. Jefferson once said, "I cannot live without books." He sold his
books -- 6,487 volumes' worth, in fact -- to Congress in 1815, after the
British had burned the U.S. Capitol and the Library of Congress.

This personal library reflected Jefferson's wide-ranging interests:
science, literature, art, philosophy, geography -- even wine-making. But in
1851, another Capitol fire destroyed two-thirds of this priceless
collection.

As part of the Library's Bicentennial Celebration in 2000, the Madison
Council reconstructed Jefferson's Library and placed the collection on view
to the public. With the help of the Council, the Library has found among
its own collections duplicate editions of many of the original Jefferson
volumes. And by purchasing volumes from rare-book dealers around the world,
the Library is working to acquire copies of the 400 volumes that are still
missing from Jefferson's first collection.

Earlier this week, I visited The Mount, because a group of Edith Wharton
fans formed a preservation group to buy and restore her former home in
Lenox, Massachusetts. As part of the restoration, this group has acquired
Edith Wharton's personal library, which had been preserved and catalogued
by a British bookseller. I was at The Mount day before yesterday to
celebrate the return of Edith Wharton's library to Massachusetts from
England.

The preservation of Edith Wharton's personal library, and your work
rebuilding Thomas Jefferson's library, have been painstaking labors of
love. But the effort is worth it, because these priceless libraries
preserve an important part of America's past.

And today, I want to talk to you a minute about another important library
rebuilding effort, one that's vital to America's future. Last summer,
Hurricanes Katrina, Rita and Wilma ravaged the Gulf Coast, destroying homes
and families and lives. And as the floodwaters receded, and as people took
stock of the damage, they realized that the roaring winds and the surging
seas had also swept away thousands and thousands of books -- historic
manuscripts, family Bibles, and entire school library collections.

I've made several trips to the Gulf Coast since the hurricanes, including a
visit to New Orleans earlier this month to meet with the chief state school
officers from the five states affected by the storms. I listened to the
concerns these school officers have as they oversee and organize the
rebuilding of whole school districts in their states.

And this is really unprecedented. Never have state school officers and
school superintendents had to oversee the rebuilding of whole school
districts in our history.

As Americans along the Gulf Coast rebuild, and as thousands of families who
left communities start to return, we have to make sure they have good
schools to come back to. For many children, going to school is the only
familiar routine they have left, and so it's a very important part of the
recovery.

In July 2001, the Laura Bush Foundation for America's Libraries was
established to help school libraries expand their book collections. Over
the last four years, the Foundation has awarded 428 grants, totaling more
than $2 million in 49 states. And we're about to announce this year's round
of grants to 200 more schools in the U.S. But shortly after the hurricanes,
the leadership council of the Foundation met for what was going to be our
final meeting, but at that meeting, we determined to establish a special
fund to help the schools in the Gulf Coast region. So in March, I announced
the Gulf Coast School Library Recovery Initiative.

This initiative will help Gulf Coast schools that were damaged by the
hurricanes rebuild their book and material collections for their school
libraries. And the task is large. According to the U.S. Department of
Education, 1,121 public and private schools in the Gulf Coast region were
damaged or destroyed. The basic cost of building a book collection for an
elementary school is about $50,000. And the cost for a secondary school
library collection is usually over $100,000.

Next week, we'll announce the Gulf Coast schools that will be receiving the
first round of grants. Throughout the year, additional grants will be
distributed as more schools are rebuilt and ready to stock their libraries.

With us today is a Madison Council member who also serves on the Laura Bush
Leadership Council. He's the one who said, "Let's not disband our
committee, let's do what we can to help these Gulf Coast school libraries."
So I want to thank Marshall Payne, who now, because he said that, is the
Task Force Committee Chair. (Laughter and applause.)

I also want to acknowledge Ruth Altschuler. Is Ruth here? No, she didn't
come today. But she has also been on the Laura Bush Leadership Council from
the very first. Marshall knows how vital school libraries are to the Gulf
Coast recovery, and how desperate children are there for books.

Across the region, librarians are doing everything they can to make sure
children traumatized by the storm have a book to read, to give them
something that's theirs, a sense of ownership. As one school principal
said, "These kids have lost everything -- a book in their hands allows them
at least to escape from all of this for a little while."

Today I urge you to learn more about how you can help the Gulf Coast school
library rebuilding. C.S. Lewis once wrote: "We read to know we are not
alone." In new books, children affected by the hurricanes can find stories
like theirs -- of loss and of grief, but also of kindness and courage and
hope.

The Madison Council and the Library of Congress is dedicated to bringing
the hope and joy of reading to families and young people all across
America. So thank very much for welcoming me here today. Thank you for your
commitment to the Library of Congress and to all America's libraries. And I
hope I'll see you September 30th at the National Book Festival.

Thank you very much. (Applause.)

END 12:15 P.M. EDT

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2006/04/20060426-3.html

 * Origin: (1:3634/12)