Skriven 2006-05-19 23:34:00 av Whitehouse Press (1:3634/12.0)
Ärende: Press Release (060519c) for Fri, 2006 May 19
Mrs. Bush's Remarks at Evening Reception for Chafee-Rhode Island Victory
2006

Office of the First Lady
May 19, 2006

Mrs. Bush's Remarks at Evening Reception for Chafee-Rhode Island Victory
2006
Providence Biltmore Hotel
Providence, Rhode Island

5:51 P.M. EDT

MRS. BUSH: Thank you, Senator. Thank you very much, Senator Chafee, for
your kind introduction and for the warm welcome to your beautiful state. I
want to recognize Susan Carcieri, wife of the Governor. Thank you so much,
Susan, for being here with us. (Applause.) And Stephanie Chafee, who is
here, thank you, Stephanie, very much for joining us. (Applause.) Oh, and
the Governor is here now. The Governor has shown up. Where is the Governor?
Oh, there you are. Hey, Governor. (Applause.) I heard from Susan that the
Governor was out at a commencement address, but I'm glad he was finished
and was able to make it here with us. Thank you, Governor.

I also want to recognize the Chairman of the Rhode Island Republican Party,
Patricia Morgan. Is Patricia here? Thank you very much. (Applause.) Kerry
King, who is the Republican candidate for Lieutenant Governor. Kerry, thank
you. (Applause.) Bill Harsch, Republican candidate for Attorney General.
(Applause.) And Sue Stenhouse, the Republican candidate for Secretary of
State. Thank you, Sue. (Applause.)

I'm so happy to be in Rhode Island and to have this chance to support your
United States Senator, Lincoln Chafee. (Applause.) Lincoln is an important
member of the United States Senate. For him, public service is a family
tradition, and there's nothing wrong with that. (Applause.) Since 1999,
when Lincoln replaced his late father, John Chafee, in the United States
Senate, Lincoln has worked hard for the people of Rhode Island and for all
Americans.

Lincoln has been a passionate advocate for making sure the government
spends American tax dollars responsibly. He's co-sponsored the Presidential
Line Item Veto Bill, which will help the President veto unnecessary
spending from our federal budget.

Lincoln supports the President's efforts to make America energy
independent. In the Senate, he's promoted sustainable energy sources,
working to provide tax incentives for the purchase of alternative-fuel
vehicles. And Lincoln's bill to increase Corporate Average Fuel Economy
standards will help reduce our dependence on foreign oil, it will curb air
pollution, and save taxpayers money at the gasoline pumps. (Applause.)

And like the Senator said, he and I share an enthusiastic support for
historic preservation. Because of Lincoln Chafee's efforts, Newport's
Marble House and Chateau-sur-Mer estate were recognized as National
Historic Landmarks just last March. He's worked hard to secure federal
funding so local landmarks like the Providence Performing Arts Center, and
Block Island's Southeast Light receive much-needed repairs. Lincoln has
also been a champion of the Blackstone River Valley National Heritage
Corridor, restoring the ecological health of the river so that it's safe
for wildlife and for recreation.

My husband shares Lincoln's commitment to historic preservation, and in
2003, he announced the Preserve America Initiative. This initiative
encourages communities like Newport, Block Island, and Providence to
preserve and care for our priceless cultural and natural heritage. Preserve
America can also help boost local economies, because recognized historical
landmarks attract visitors and businesses to communities.

One part of our country that's especially in need of preservation resources
right now is the Gulf Coast. This region is steeped in some of America's
most fascinating history and culture. And as the Gulf Coast recovers from
the hurricanes, we must help areas affected by the storms restore their
treasures so that all Americans can enjoy this region's heritage for always
for our future.

So this fall, in partnership with the Advisory Council on Historic
Preservation, I'll host a Preserve America Summit in New Orleans. The
summit will convene experts in historic preservation, conservationists,
cultural scholars, archaeologists, and representatives from federal
agencies and the private sector.

These authorities will review our national historic preservation programs
-- which, by the way, are about 40 years old, Lyndon Johnson signed into
law the Natural Preservation, or National Historic Act -- and propose
improvements to make them more effective. The summit will also help make
our national treasures more accessible to the American public, and will
help communities use their cultural attractions to boost local economies.
And of course, this will be especially important along the Gulf Coast,
where well-preserved and well-presented history can help revive local
business and speed economic recovery.

Leading up to the summit, we'll have a series of 12 forums, hosted by
federal agencies and private sector partners, to address a variety of
preservation topics. The National Trust for Historic Preservation, in
partnership with Tulane University, will kick off the first forum on May
31st. The Tulane conference will focus on the rich culture of New Orleans,
from its regal, colonial architecture to its artistic contributions as the
birthplace of jazz.

This summit is just one part of the great work Preserve America is doing
throughout the United States. In the three years since President Bush
announced the initiative, we've also honored historical organizations,
history teachers, and entire communities -- 372 of them, in fact -- for
their preservation work.

Rhode Island may be a small state, but you've made a big commitment to
preservation: 20 of your cities and towns -- (applause) -- 20 of your
cities and towns have been designated Preserve America Communities,
including Providence.

And in March, Preserve America presented Rhode Island with a $120,000 grant
-- which Lincoln accepted -- (laughter) -- recognizing your efforts.
(Applause.) Your state has also received over $4 million dollars in grants
from Save America's Treasures. Save America's Treasures and Preserve
America complement each other: one program works with grants to rescue
America's historical resources, and the other encourages Americans and
their communities to use these resources to their benefit. Rhode Island's
excellent preservation efforts have earned you honors from both programs,
so congratulations to all of you. (Applause.)

And congratulations especially to Senator Chafee. His hard work on behalf
of your natural and historical treasures is just one example of his love
for your state. Another way Lincoln expresses his commitment to Rhode
Island is the way he represents you in the Senate.

Lincoln understands that Rhode Island, and America, face issues that are
too important to be reduced to mere politics. And he knows that President
Bush has an ambitious agenda for the rest of his term. Ending our
dependence on foreign oil, reforming our immigration system, rebuilding a
beautiful and better Gulf Coast, and keeping our country safe from
terrorists are all vital goals. (Applause.) To accomplish them, we need
serious national conversations conducted with civility and respect, and I
know Lincoln's voice will be a thoughtful, positive voice in that dialogue.

In the Senate, we need serious and enthusiastic people like Lincoln Chafee,
people who see the immense promise that's everywhere in our country, and
who look forward to the task at hand. So let's work hard to make sure
Lincoln is re-elected to the United States Senate this November.
(Applause.)

Thank you all. Thank you all for your support of Lincoln. Thanks,
everybody. Thank you all very much for your support for your Senator.
Redouble your efforts to make sure he's re-elected. Elect your entire slate
of Republican candidates that are here that are terrific. And I want to
thank you all for coming out tonight. Thank you for your generous support
of Senator Chafee. Thanks, everybody. (Applause.)

END 6:01 P.M. EDT
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2006/05/20060519-12.html

 * Origin: (1:3634/12)