Skriven 2005-01-07 23:33:12 av Whitehouse Press (1:3634/12.0)
Ärende: Press Release (0501074) for Fri, 2005 Jan 7
President Names Senators Mack and Breaux on Federal Tax Reform Panel

Office of the Press Secretary
January 7, 2005

President Names Senators Mack and Breaux on Federal Tax Reform Panel
The Oval Office

President's Remarks
"); //--> view

9:30 A.M. EST

THE PRESIDENT: I want to thank the Secretary of the Treasury, John Snow,
for being here today. I also want to thank my friend Senator -- Senators
Connie Mack and John Breaux for agreeing to head a group of citizens who
will be exploring ways to simplify the tax code. I believe this is an
essential task for our country. It's a task that will treat our taxpayers
more fairly. A simple code will make it easier on the taxpayers. But it's
an important task in order to make sure the economic growth we are seeing
in the United States continues forward.

Today, we had a very positive set of numbers to -- come out to show that
more and more Americans are finding work; 159,000 new jobs were added in
December, and that doesn't include the revisions from previous months. And
that's positive news. And the fundamental question is how can the
administration and the Congress continue to make changes so to keep this
economy growing, to make sure we're the best place in the world to do
business.

Today, I'm going to Detroit to talk about legal reform. These fine
distinguished citizens will be taking a good, hard look at the tax code and
coming up with recommendations as to how to make sure the tax code
encourages economic vitality and growth. It seems like to me the tax code
today discourages economic vitality and growth when you spend billions of
hours filling out the forms. And so I want to thank you all for taking on
this important job.

I told the members -- the former senators and members of this committee
that I am firm in my desire to get something done. We're going to take
their work, and we'll go to the Congress and say let's work together to
achieve something very constructive for the American people. And so thanks
for taking this on.

SENATOR BREUX: Glad to do it.

THE PRESIDENT: These are distinguished citizens of our country and I'm
proud you're here.

SENATOR BREUX: Thank you.

SENATOR MACK: Look forward to doing it.

THE PRESIDENT: Yes, you're doing a good job.

Let me answer some questions. Hunt.

Q Mr. President, former National Security Advisor Brent Scowcroft had a
gloomy assessment about Iraq's elections. He said that they would probably
deepen the conflict, increase divisions between the Shiite and Sunni
Muslims, and that Iraq would slip into an incipient civil war. Do you share
those concerns?

THE PRESIDENT: Quite the opposite. I think elections will be such an
incredibly hopeful experience for the Iraqi people. Remember these are
people that live in a society where if they didn't toe the line of the
leadership, they'd be tortured or killed or maimed. And all of a sudden, a
new way of life is being introduced into Iraq, a chance for people to
express their beliefs and their opinions. I believe democracies can take
hold in parts of the world that have been condemned to tyranny. And I
believe when democracies take hold, it leads to peace. That's been the
proven example around the world. Democracies equal peace. And that's what
we're trying to achieve in this administration.

Steve Holland.

Q Yes, sir.

THE PRESIDENT: You have one.

Q General Metz says he can't guarantee that every Iraqi who wants to vote
will be able to because of security. Can there be a legitimate election if
not everybody is able to vote?

THE PRESIDENT: Fourteen of the 18 provinces appear to be relatively calm.
Four of the 18 provinces are places where the terrorists are trying to stop
people from voting. And the reason they're trying to stop people from
voting is because they understand that democracies stand in the exact
opposite to what they believe. These are people who want to try to impose
their will on people. These are people -- just like the Taliban, just like
Osama bin Laden -- who have this dim vision of the world that says, if you
do not agree with us, then you're of no count. And they're trying to stop
people from voting. And the job of the United States military is to do the
best job we can to give every citizen the best chance they can to vote and
to participate. Democracy is hard. Our own country has had a history of
kind of a bumpy road toward democracy. And we'll do the very best we can,
but what is important is that the Iraqi people for the first time have a
chance to vote.

And it was hard leading up the Afghan elections, as you remember. There was
a lot of talk about how the -- somebody was getting to get killed and they
couldn't vote. And sure enough, when people were given a chance, millions
of people showed up, and the first voter was a woman in a country where
women had been savaged by the former government run by the Taliban. So,
look, I know it's hard. But it's hard for a reason. And the reason it's
hard is because there are a handful of folks who fear freedom. And the job
of the world that -- that those of us in the world who desire for there to
be peace is to be aggressive in the spread of freedom, is to stand with
those brave citizens in Iraq who want to vote. And that's exactly what we
will do.

Go ahead. Follow-up?

Q Are you worried about Sunni participation? You were talking to President
Mubarak and King Abdullah earlier in the week.

THE PRESIDENT: Well, I want everybody to vote. And I understand that parts
of the Sunni area are being targeted by these killers. And their message
is, if you vote, we'll kill you. But their real message is, is that we
can't stand democracy. And if the free world steps back and lets these
people have their way, it will be we can't stand democracy here, and then
we can't democracy there, and we'll never address the root causes of terror
and hatred -- which is frustration caused by tyranny.

This administration firmly believes that if people are given a right to
express themselves in a ballot -- in the ballot box and in the public
square and through a free and open press, it will lead to peace. If we step
back and allow for tyrannies to exist and people not to be free, the world
our children will grow up in will be a hostile world. And this is a big
moment for the Iraqi people.

It wasn't all that long ago that a lot of people said Iraqi people will
never vote at all. I think it's constructive now we're beginning to worry
about the size of the turn-out. It's something I was worried about right
here two months ago, the size of the turn-out. But the positive, incredibly
amazing development, when you take a step back and look at history, is that
Iraqi citizens will actually be allowed to go vote. And they will elect an
assembly. And I think one of the things, Steve, you ought to be looking at
is the nature of the assembly -- who gets elected. And that's what we're
certainly going to be looking at because this assembly will then be
deciding the constitution of the country of Iraq. And I look at the
elections as a -- as a historical marker for our Iraq policy. It is an
interesting point.

And we look forward to working with the new -- with the new government that
comes out of that -- out of these elections.

Yes, John.

Q If I could follow that up, sir, a couple of things. You said, look at the
assembly, are you concerned that maybe the Sunnis won't vote enough, and
that the Sunnis will not be well represented in the assembly? And are you
concerned, as Secretary Rumsfeld is, he's sending this retired four-star
general over, are you concerned about our military policy in Iraq that it's
not doing enough to control the insurgents?

THE PRESIDENT: Look, I think what you're beginning to see is a -- an
assessment of how to make sure our policy dovetails with the elections and
the post-election period. You see, our policy all along has been, we'll
help these people get to the elections, and there will be elections. And
then once the elections take place, we look forward to working with the
newly constituted government to help train Iraqis as fast as possible so
they can defend themselves. See, part of a successful strategy is one that
says there'll be elections and the political process will be going forward,
but one in which the Iraqis assume more and more responsibility for their
own security. And that's precisely why the assessment team is going to
Iraq, to make sure that at this historic moment in the history of Iraq,
there is a focused, determined strategy to help the new government and the
new and the -- the new government to stand up the forces necessary to
defend themselves because ultimately the success in Iraq is going to be the
willingness of the Iraqi citizens to fight for their own freedom.

Q So you're not dissatisfied?

THE PRESIDENT: I think we're making great progress. We're having elections
on January the 30th. It's going to be an historic moment. I suspect if you
were asking me questions 18 months ago and I said there was going to be
elections in Iraq, you would have had trouble containing yourself from
laughing out loud at the President. But here we are at this moment, and
it's exciting times for the Iraqi people. And it's so exciting there are
some who are trying to intimidate people from going to the polls.

And I appreciate -- listen, our military is doing great work over there.

Q And the Sunnis?

THE PRESIDENT: Well, I talked to President Yawer the other day. He's a
Sunni. I said, how's your campaign going? He said it's going fine. He's out
there trying to convince people to vote for him. There are Sunnis
throughout the different tickets and slates. And we, of course, hope
everybody votes. And our job is to try to provide as much security along
with the Iraqis to give people a chance to express their will. And no doubt
about it, there are people trying to kill people who want to vote. That's
-- and they make it clear, if you vote, we'll kill you. But it's very
important to understand why they're doing that, John. They're doing that
because the thought of a democracy in that part of the world is the most
frightening thing to the terrorists. They cannot stand the thought of
freedom in their midst. And there's a reason because free societies are
societies that actually listen to the will of the people. The people get to
decide the course of their -- of the history of their country, not a few
tyrants who are willing to use brutality in order to set the direction of
the country. And we're going to stand with those who love freedom. And
we'll stand with those who want to vote.

Thank you all very much.

END 9:41 A.M. EST
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/01/20050107-4.html

 * Origin: (1:3634/12)