Skriven 2005-01-17 23:32:56 av Whitehouse Press (1:3634/12.0)
Ärende: Press Release (0501172) for Mon, 2005 Jan 17
President Honors Secretary, Mrs. Powell at 'Let Freedom Ring' Event

Office of the Press Secretary
January 17, 2005

President Honors Secretary, Mrs. Powell at 'Let Freedom Ring' Event
Georgetown University

˙˙˙˙˙Audio

4:16 P.M. EST

THE PRESIDENT: Thank you all. Thanks for coming. Thanks for the invitation.
Laura and I are pleased to join you on this national holiday as we honor
two exceptional Americans who we're proud to call friends.

I want to thank Dr. DeGioia and Georgetown University for sponsoring the
John Thompson Legacy of a Dream Award. I want to thank the Georgetown
Gospel Choir for sharing their gifts at this celebration. I want to thank
John Thompson for being here and for setting such a great example. I
appreciate the thoughtful words from one of the most recognized voices in
America, Tom Joyner. (Applause.) I can't wait to hear Aaron Neville.
(Applause.) I want to thank the members of Congress, the members of my
administration and all the distinguished guests who are here today. I also
want to thank Dr. Dorothy Height for joining us this afternoon. (Applause.)

Every year on this day we reflect the history of civil rights in America.
It's a story of our founders, among them, slave owners, who declared a
standard of equality and justice that would one day be used to put an end
to slavery. It's a story of a terrible war that freed men and women from
bondage, but not from oppression and segregation. It's a story of
generations "not having received the promises, but having seen them afar
off." And it's a story of Americans like Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King,
Jr., who held our nation to those promises and would not rest until they
were written into law. (Applause.)

Dr. King was a minister of the gospel who could have had an easy life in a
respected pulpit. Today, he would be just 76 years old. Instead, he chose
to minister in the spirit of John Wesley, who said, "I look upon all the
world as my parish." The nation first took notice in the 1950s and in the
1960s, when he wrote, "I am in Birmingham because injustice is here." In
the space of just a few years, through the power of his intellect, the
truth of his words, and the example of his courage, he left this country a
different and better place, and made his own journey to a different and
better place. (Applause.)

Dr. King believed so fully in the ideals of America that he was offended
every day that they were violated. He had studied the founding documents
and found no exceptions to the promise of freedom. He was disappointed in
the unfair practices of his country. Yet he said, "There can be no deep
disappointment where there is not deep love." Dr. King loved America enough
to confront its injustices, not compromising the truth and not fearing any
man -- and America loves him in return. (Applause.)

Martin Luther King also knew that man's right to be free is rooted in
something far beyond the charters of a country. He believed and he knew
that the image of God we share is a source of our dignity as human beings
and the basis for our equality. He believed and he knew that the teachings
of Jesus stand in eternal judgment of oppression. He believed and he knew
that the God who made us for freedom will bring us to freedom. (Applause.)

By observing and honoring Dr. King's birthday, we teach the next generation
lessons that must never be forgotten. We need our children to know how
great the struggle for racial justice in our society has been, and how much
work remains to be done. (Applause.) We need them to know that the greatest
causes sometime involve the greatest sacrifices, and that history moves
forward on the strength of those sacrifices. And we need the children of
America to know that a single life of conscience and purpose can touch and
lift up many lives. The influence of one good life is also the message of
the Legacy of a Dream Award -- in this case the influence of two good
lives.

Alma and Colin Powell are among the most admired people in our country.
(Applause.) For these four years, they've also been America's
representatives to the world. They are honorable people who bring honor to
this nation, and America is grateful for their example of service.

As their friends know, Alma and Colin met on a blind date. (Laughter.) Alma
has said she remembers the future general looking like a lost 12-year-old.
(Laughter and applause.) And that's the side of the man I've never seen
before. (Laughter.) For his part, Colin has said that night he was
"mesmerized by a pair of luminous eyes, an unusual shade of green." And
from that day to this, he has been fortunate to have this beautiful,
accomplished woman at his side. (Applause.)

Colin Powell has lived his own inspiring story, a story of exceptional
accomplishment that started before segregation ended. When he was a young
officer, someone told him, "You are the best black lieutenant I have ever
known." He later wrote, "Inside me, I was thinking, if you intend to
measure me only against black lieutenants, you are making a mistake."
(Laughter and applause.) "I'm going to show you" -- he went on to write,
"I'm going to show you the best lieutenant in the Army, period."
(Applause.)

The best lieutenant in the Army went on to a distinguished military career
that ended with four stars on his shoulder. (Applause.) Along the way, he
earned two Purple Hearts, the Bronze Star, the Soldier's Medal, the Legion
of Merit, the Congressional Gold Medal and two Presidential Medals of
Freedom. (Applause.) I'm not through yet. (Laughter.) I'm just getting
started. (Laughter.) See, he's been an official in the administration of
six Presidents, including service as the National Security Advisor to
President Reagan, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff under
Presidents Bush and Clinton.

More than four years ago, when I needed a Secretary of State, I knew what I
was looking for. I wanted someone who believed deeply in the values of our
country, and could share them with the world; a person of wisdom and
decency; a leader who could bring out the best in people. I found all this
and more in Colin Powell. (Applause.) Our 65th Secretary of State became
one of the most effective and admired diplomats in America's history. He
has helped to rally the world in a global war and to resolve dangerous
regional conflicts and to confront the desperate challenges of natural
disaster and hunger and poverty and disease. He's been tireless and
selfless and principled. In the work he and I have shared, he has become a
great friend, and I appreciate all he has done for our wonderful country.
(Applause.)

His proudest achievements probably have little to do with public service.
See, he's a wonderful dad to Michael and Annemarie and Linda. Over the
years, he's been a mentor to young people. As a founder of America's
Promise, Colin has drawn countless others to become involved in the lives
of children, and to give them the hope and confidence they need for a
successful life. Today, we honor not just Colin Powell's lifetime of
leadership, but we honor his great kindness and his compassion. (Applause.)

The same kinds of idealism and character have marked the life of Alma
Johnson Powell. Like her husband, she was raised by strong and decent
people. And Birmingham, where Martin Luther King was jailed -- Birmingham,
which -- where he was jailed, was also the home of the Johnson family.
That's where she was raised in other words. (Laughter.) Alma remembers her
father during the worst of days sitting up at night with a shotgun by his
side to protect his wife and his children. Mr. Johnson was a high school
principal, and he was a legend to generations of students who remember his
high standards and his imposing presence. His daughter, Alma, has always
been impressive, as well, because of her grace and her principle.

For many years, Alma served America as a soldier's wife, moving the
household 18 times, and leading the family when the Army -- (Applause.)
Anyone who wants to know the meaning of duty and unselfish love can look at
our military families like the Powells. (Applause.) This good-hearted
mother and grandmother shares her love with others as the Chair of
America's Promise. People here at the Kennedy Center know her as the
leading member of the board of trustees. She's a noted author of several
children's books, and a volunteer who gives her time to help young people
make good choices in life. Alma Powell is one of the finest people Laura
and I are privileged to know. And she is a superb choice for the Legacy of
a Dream Award. (Applause.) I'm not kidding, either. (Applause.)

You have chosen, on this important day for America, to pay tribute to a
woman and a man who have upheld the highest ideal of American citizenship.
In their love of country, and their heart for service, they show the same
character found in the life of Dr. Martin Luther King. Thank you for the
privilege of joining you this afternoon, and for the pleasure of being able
to honor these fine, fine Americans.

May God bless the Powells, and may God continue to bless the United States
of America. (Applause.)

END 4:30 P.M. EST
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/01/20050117-2.html

 * Origin: (1:3634/12)